Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need indicator light in the mailbox to see if anything is inside

On Feb 13, 11:26*am, "tom" wrote:
http://www.mahvelousmailboxes.com/ma...ail_alerts.htm

The "rules" related to this item make me a bit skeptical:

http://www.mahvelousmailboxes.com/ma...mail_alert.htm

From the web page:

(This is a non-returnable item-which means that if it's defective,
and you have read and understand how it's intended to operate, you
will be sent a replacment from the manufacturer, and in no case will
be refunded any money or credit).

Posted to alt.home.repair
RLM RLM is offline

On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 10:26:22 -0600, tom wrote:

http://www.mahvelousmailboxes.com/ma...ail_alerts.htm

I already had the parts but I doubt you could spend a dollar for
everything if you didn't have something. The fishing float could be
replaced with something bright in color that is visible from the house.
Piece of bright red ribbon or red plastic tag for example.

What ever you use as an indicator, it is visible on the rear, behind
the box toward the house. Even if your box is at the end of a long
driveway you can tell if it is at the top or bottom.

I'm cheap.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 12:19:06 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

[snip]

If the box doesn't have a flag, the box doesn't conform to government
regulations. If the box is non-conforming, the postal service may decline to
service it.

In reality, it's just one more reason the postal service may get on your
case. ("It's too high off the ground, it doesn't have a flag, it is not
lockable, it's painted the wrong color, and made of unapproved material, and
we don't like the dog much either!")

Homeowner planted flowers too close to mailbox, and postal carrier
allergic to bees.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 05:05:24 +0000 (UTC), Judy Zappacosta
wrote:

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 19:45:18 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03 wrote:

I live in an area where *nobody* has flags. Our mail boxes
are at the houses and there is basically no conformance of any kind.

I used to live in a place like that. Nobody had flags. Some had mail slots
in the garage door. Others had a black plastic mailbox next to the front
door on the outside wall.

None had flags.

What we used to do was use one of those black office clips to clip outgoing
mail on the OUTSIDE of the mailbox so that the postperson knew there was
mail.

I've lived in a place like that. Around here, it's the older
neighborhoods. Where I am now, we have rural-type mailboxes at the
street. Also, sometimes the carrier DOESN'T stop when the flag is up.

In reality it didn't work well becausae if they didn't have any mail, they
never even looked to see if we had mail waiting for them so we gave up
eventually and put outgoing mail only in the blue boxes on the street.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"How could you ask me to believe in God when there's
absolutely no evidence that I can see?" -- Jodie Foster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 05:26:24 +0000 (UTC), Judy Zappacosta
wrote:

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 19:45:18 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03 wrote:

The entire neighborhood is a mixture of just about every type of
receptacle you can think of, *except* for boxes on posts with flags.

When I google for a similar mailbox as mine, I find plenty of the type I
have that do NOT have any flag.

This one, for example, looks kind of like mine (but I don't have a lock on
mine):
http://www.mailboxnet.com/column_mai...pillar_600.jpg

It's all metal so anything that indicates mail inside can't be purely on an
electrical circuit.

How about a touch switch that comes on when someone touches the box.
Reset it when you've opened the box.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"How could you ask me to believe in God when there's
absolutely no evidence that I can see?" -- Jodie Foster

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.snail-mail

On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 05:02:41 +0000 (UTC), Judy Zappacosta
wrote:

[snip]

Seems like a general enough request that others would have resolved it by
now. Or, does everyone always look in their mailbox every day even when
there's no mail inside?

That is often look inside SEVERAL TIMES a day, since you don't always
know the carrier's gone when there's no mail in the box.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"How could you ask me to believe in God when there's
absolutely no evidence that I can see?" -- Jodie Foster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 13:30:00 -0500, "Matt Williamson"
wrote:

[snip]

I'd use a spring switch with a top plate that covers the bottom of the
mailbox. Make sure the spring is strong enough to hold the plate up but any
additonal weight will trip it. Use a battery to light the led, put the
switch in between the led and battery. When there is mail, it will trip the
switch and light the LED. When you remove it, the spring will will push the
plate up and it will go off. You'll probably need a resistor between the
battery and LED depending on what type of LED you use.

HTH

Matt

How can you tell the difference between incoming mail and outgoing
mail?
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"How could you ask me to believe in God when there's
absolutely no evidence that I can see?" -- Jodie Foster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 01:58:15 -0500, wrote:

[snip]

Use a microswitch on the door

If the box is metal, it could become the contact plate for an
electronic touch switch.

to trigger n electronic "latching relay"
to turn on an LED every time the door is opened. A push-button to
reset it after you take OUT the mail.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"How could you ask me to believe in God when there's
absolutely no evidence that I can see?" -- Jodie Foster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 15:17:57 +0000 (UTC), Judy Zappacosta
wrote:

I need a recommendation for an indicator light (maybe mailorder?) for my
mailbox.

Here's the situation.
* It's a custom mailbox, basically a door cemented in a pillar of concrete
* It just has a square metal door with a brass inside latch (all metal)
* It's higher than my eyes in the car window by about a foot
* So I have to reach inside to see if anything is in there
* It doesn't even have one of those little red (manual) flags
* There isn't 120v lighting but landscape lighting is only a foot away

I wonder if technology can help me?

It would be nice if there was a way to mount an external LED such that an
internal light sensor activates it to indicate mail in the mailbox.

Any pointers?

Train a dog to run to the door and bark when anyone other than you
opens your mailbox.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Judy Zappacosta wrote:
On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 13:45:33 -0500, Tony wrote:

http://www.atrendyhome.com/mailchimealert.html

That sounds promising.
It seems to work on the door opening and not on mail being placed in the
mailbox.

I wonder how that chime works in an all-metal mailbox.
(How does it figure out that the door has been opened?)

The ad doesn't say HOW it figures out that the mailbox has been opened.

I'm pretty sure it senses motion from opening the door. It makes sense
because it says it will not work on vertical hinges but it works with
the three pictures. On a vertical hinge it would only swing out, not
tip over.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "Stormin Mormon" wrote:
Popular Mechanics had such a trick, about forty
years ago. The trick was to put a weighted flag on
the blind side of the box. When the driver opens
the box, the bottom weight pulls the flag
vertical. Of course you have to reset this after
you get your mail out. Not much use in freezing
weather.

One other variation was the button inside the box,
wired to a buzzer in the house. Or, low voltage
door bell that bing bongs when you mailbox door is
opened.

When are you going to fix your newsreader configuration so it puts your sig at
the bottom where it belongs?

He's above us all. Everyone else is supposed to change to his way.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 12:19:06 -0600, HeyBub wrote:

If the box doesn't have a flag, the box doesn't conform to government
regulations. If the box is non-conforming, the postal service may decline to
service it.

They deliver my mail fine.

I never put outgoing mail in the mailbox to be taken.

So, I can live without the red flag (although it would be nice to have
one).

I went to Lowes today to look again for just the red flag but they don't
sell it standalone.

But the more important thing is to figure out how I can tell if mail is
inside the mailbox.

I was thinking something like the little red light that is on the garage
door. If that beam is broken, there's an indicator that turns on outside.

Seems like a general enough request that others would have resolved it by
now. Or, does everyone always look in their mailbox every day even when
there's no mail inside?

The red flag will only tell you the mail vehicle passed by but would
not indicate if the box were empty or not. My mother used a small
plastic ornament tied to the mailbox door handle using a 12" string.
To close the door take up 8" of string and push it between the latch
as you close the mailbox door. The weight falls when the door is
opened by the postmaster to complete delivery. I guess you can call
it a Gravity Powered Indicator (GPI).
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 19:45:18 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03 wrote:

The entire neighborhood is a mixture of just about every type of
receptacle you can think of, *except* for boxes on posts with flags.

When I google for a similar mailbox as mine, I find plenty of the type I
have that do NOT have any flag.

This one, for example, looks kind of like mine (but I don't have a lock on
mine):
http://www.mailboxnet.com/column_mai...pillar_600.jpg

It's all metal so anything that indicates mail inside can't be purely on an
electrical circuit.

How about a touch switch that comes on when someone touches the box.
Reset it when you've opened the box.

How about an electrocution device if anyone but me or the mail carrier
touches the box? lol
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I need a recommendation for an indicator light (maybe mailorder?) for my
mailbox.

Here's the situation.
* It's a custom mailbox, basically a door cemented in a pillar of concrete
* It just has a square metal door with a brass inside latch (all metal)
* It's higher than my eyes in the car window by about a foot
* So I have to reach inside to see if anything is in there
* It doesn't even have one of those little red (manual) flags
* There isn't 120v lighting but landscape lighting is only a foot away

I wonder if technology can help me?

It would be nice if there was a way to mount an external LED such that an
internal light sensor activates it to indicate mail in the mailbox.

Any pointers?

Train a dog to run to the door and bark when anyone other than you
opens your mailbox.

Mount a door bell button in the mailbox and run the wire out the back and to
the door bell in the house...With a plate of warm cookies and a 20 dollar
bill politely ask the mailman/woman to ring the bell when he or she drops
off the mail...Repeat the cookies and 20 spot yearly...Less maintaince and
the mail carrier will love you...HTH....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 14:25:24 +1000, Soundhaspriority
wrote:

wrote in message

I wonder if technology can help me?

It would be nice if there was a way to mount an external LED such that an
internal light sensor activates it to indicate mail in the mailbox.

Are you too lazy to walk out and take a look?

You're probably one 'o them fat ****er midwesterners, aren't you honey?

Here in the South it is common to see heavy-set folks to drive to
their mailbox. I guess that's why they are what they are.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I need a recommendation for an indicator light (maybe mailorder?) for my
mailbox.

Here's the situation.
* It's a custom mailbox, basically a door cemented in a pillar of concrete
* It just has a square metal door with a brass inside latch (all metal)
* It's higher than my eyes in the car window by about a foot
* So I have to reach inside to see if anything is in there
* It doesn't even have one of those little red (manual) flags
* There isn't 120v lighting but landscape lighting is only a foot away

I wonder if technology can help me?

It would be nice if there was a way to mount an external LED such that an
internal light sensor activates it to indicate mail in the mailbox.

Any pointers?

Train a dog to run to the door and bark when anyone other than you
opens your mailbox.

My daughter's Yorkie barks when the mailman leaves mail.
He sits on the back of the couch watching out the window. He also barks
when anyone rings the doorbell, or when any truck enters our driveway,
or enters any neighbor's driveway, or parks and idles anyplace on our
street (a short cul-de-sac), or at anyone walking on the street.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Oh he sounds like LOTS of fun to have in the house....
(Not a fan of overcompensating neurotic little yappy dogs that couldn't
survive a single night on their own in the big scary outdoors...)

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.snail-mail

wrote:

[...]

You might want to go to this Google search results link. Seems to have
the info you desire.

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...lbox+indicator

I remember several boxes that had a little metal piece on a small chain.
You wedged it between the door and the body of the box; when it was
opened by the carrier, the piece would fall and hang down (usually 6-12"
or so) and could be seen from the house

cya
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.snail-mail

wrote:

[...]

A bit difficult though with the mailbox inside a stome pillar - - - -
-
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 12:14:48 -0500, aemeijers
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Oh, but it's so fun when your neighbors keep their yappy dogs (Jack
Russel, and two mini-weenies) outside overnight in the big scary
outdoors so they can bark at the breeze.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Oh, some of them can be amusing at times. One older lady up the block
that only lives here in the warm months, has some sort of terrier in 3/4
scale, maybe 10 pounds soaking wet. When we cross paths on our evening
walks, I always observe the dog etiquette of standing still in a
non-threatening relaxed position, and offering a hand to sniff. He'll
come within a couple feet, but if I say a word, he'll do a backflip and
go run and hide behind her.

There are a couple younger neighbor ladies that always get embarrassed
when their large HAPPY! dogs run up and lick my hand when we pass on the
street. (Oh boy oh boy, here comes somebody new to sniff!). I do the
extended hand routine with them, just to avoid the more traditional dog
greeting, which would embarrass their humans even more.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 12, 10:17*am, Judy Zappacosta zappajNOS...@Use-Author-Supplied-
Address.invalid wrote:
I need a recommendation for an indicator light (maybe mailorder?) for my
mailbox.

Here's the situation.
* It's a custom mailbox, basically a door cemented in a pillar of concrete
* It just has a square metal door with a brass inside latch (all metal)
* It's higher than my eyes in the car window by about a foot
* So I have to reach inside to see if anything is in there
* It doesn't even have one of those little red (manual) flags
* There isn't 120v lighting but landscape lighting is only a foot away

I wonder if technology can help me?

It would be nice if there was a way to mount an external LED such that an
internal light sensor activates it to indicate mail in the mailbox.

Any pointers?

There was a project in a magazine years ago(maybe Popular
Electronics). The part in the mailbox was a circuit that used just a
switch, capacitor and battery.Since the capacitor blocks DC current
flow the circuit only produces a pulse and the battery will last its
shelf life. The part in the house was a simple SCR circuit that would
turn on and latch whenever it received a pulse from the mailbox any
time the door was opened or closed. I built one for my grandfather who
was a gadget nut. It worked well with the exception that it got a few
false triggers We figured out lightning strikes was one source and CB
radios may have been another.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 13, 11:25*pm, Soundhaspriority wrote:
wrote in message

I wonder if technology can help me?

It would be nice if there was a way to mount an external LED such that an
internal light sensor activates it to indicate mail in the mailbox.

Are you too lazy to walk out and take a look?

You're probably one 'o them fat ****er midwesterners, aren't you honey?

I'm a fat ****er midwesterner, and I walk out to my mailbox. Of
course,
the driveway is only about 100 feet long, so it's not much of a
journey.

My much thinner neighbor across the street often drives to check his
mail (our mailboxes are side by side). His driveway is much shorter.
The wimp.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 13, 9:20*pm, "benick" wrote:
Mount a door bell button in the mailbox and run the wire out the back and to
the door bell in the house...With a plate of warm cookies and a 20 dollar
bill politely ask the mailman/woman to ring the bell when he or she drops
off the mail...Repeat the cookies and 20 spot yearly...Less maintaince and
the mail carrier will love you...HTH...

Press the buzzer, and who's going to hear it? The cockroaches and
spiders? She's getting her mail from the CAR, not sitting in the house
waiting for it. Probably, on the way home from work. She isn't home
when the mail is delivered.

Frankly, I don't see the point of all this. The simple solution is to
get out the damn car and LOOK.

I don't know why she hasn't been harrassed by the postmaster for the
following reasons:

1. Stone pillar mailbox is a road hazard.
2. No flag if rural free delivery (i.e. a mailbox by the road).
3. The box is too d*mned high.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[snip

How about an electrocution device if anyone but me or the mail carrier
touches the box? lol

Add a camera pointed at the mailbox so this device provides
entertainment too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 10:50:54 -0500, Tony
wrote:

[snip]

I drive to get the mail on occasion. My driveway is 1/10 mile long and
a very steep grade, I'm guessing about 35% grade. I'll have to measure
parts of it some day. When I walk to check the mail it's a good workout!

I've seen someone drive to get mail. It was across a large yard
(rural) and across the road. There was ice on the ground.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"How could you ask me to believe in God when there's
absolutely no evidence that I can see?" -- Jodie Foster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Don't get me wrong, I like dogs. I do *not* like dogs that bark
continuously. I don't like owners who keep their barking dogs outside
all night. These particular dogs are so bad that we really can't use
our back yard in the summer. Fortunately, the owners don't get along
with anyone in the neighborhood (even a family who were friends before
they moved next to them) so have their house up for sale. Apparently
they didn't much like showing up for the court date.

There are a couple younger neighbor ladies that always get embarrassed
when their large HAPPY! dogs run up and lick my hand when we pass on the
street. (Oh boy oh boy, here comes somebody new to sniff!). I do the
extended hand routine with them, just to avoid the more traditional dog
greeting, which would embarrass their humans even more.

I always offer my hand to dogs on the street. The neighbors on the
other side have a yellow lab that is never a problem. It'll bark
sometimes but not incessantly.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Feb 12, 1:19*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
"...the postal service may stop delivering mail if your box
doesn't have a red flag. The flag directs the person-person (used to
be mailman) to pick up outgoing mail. "

I'm not arguing as much as I'm questioning the logic here.

Why would the person-person stop *delivering* mail just because he
didn't know if the customer had any mail to be picked-up? On days when
there is nothing to be picked up (s)he's still obligated to deliver
what's in the bag.

If the box doesn't have a flag, the box doesn't conform to government
regulations. If the box is non-conforming, the postal service may decline to
service it.

What about all of those mail boxes that are attached to the wall
beside the front door? What about those people that still use a
mailslot in their front doors? Give me a break.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 15:44:37 -0800 (PST), Ron
wrote:

On Feb 12, 1:19*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
"...the postal service may stop delivering mail if your box
doesn't have a red flag. The flag directs the person-person (used to
be mailman) to pick up outgoing mail. "

I'm not arguing as much as I'm questioning the logic here.

Why would the person-person stop *delivering* mail just because he
didn't know if the customer had any mail to be picked-up? On days when
there is nothing to be picked up (s)he's still obligated to deliver
what's in the bag.

If the box doesn't have a flag, the box doesn't conform to government
regulations. If the box is non-conforming, the postal service may decline to
service it.

What about all of those mail boxes that are attached to the wall
beside the front door? What about those people that still use a
mailslot in their front doors? Give me a break.

Those are clearly a separate issue. The fact is that the
specifications for mail boxes are pretty strict. They are not
required to deliver to a non-conforming box, whether it be on the
house, by the road, or in a common area.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

wrote:

On Feb 12, 1:19*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

It's not a separate issue.

The OP said; "the postal service may stop delivering mail if your box
doesn't have a red flag" and "If the box doesn't have a flag, the box
doesn't conform to government regulations"

That is complete bull****, period.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Feb 12, 1:19*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

It *certainly* is.

The OP said; "the postal service may stop delivering mail if your box
doesn't have a red flag" and "If the box doesn't have a flag, the box
doesn't conform to government regulations"

He was *clearly* talking about a curbside box. He is correct.

That is complete bull****, period.

The bull **** here is between your ears. Grow up, kid.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

wrote:

On Feb 12, 1:19*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Kid? LMFAO!

Provide a link from the USPS that states that you will NOT have your
mail delivered to your home unless your mailbox has a "red flag"
attached to it, which is what was stated.

Also, there are "curbside" mailboxes right in my own neighbor that are
surrounded in brick and mortar with NO red flag. They still get their
mail delivered. What about that, Mr Knowitall????

Posted to alt.home.repair
dgk dgk is offline

wrote:

On Feb 12, 1:19*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Great thread. I suggest (for the OP) a motion detection camera
connected to internet that will send an email when mail is deposited.

As for the flag, this appears to be the regulations page:

http://pe.usps.gov/text/dmm300/508.htm#wp1051804

Oddly, though Flag is mentioned twice, there doesn't appear to be an
actual regulation listed here that specifies the flag.

What do I care? I live in a small hovel with a mail slot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Feb 12, 1:19 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

LOL, a snail mail to Email alert.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Feb 12, 1:19*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I dont have a flag. Box has been replaced 3 times in 20 years for
broken flags.
I get mine delivered but pickup is a little "iffy". They will only
pickup if they have something to deliver. If I have something that has
to go out right away I put it in my neighbor's mailbox or take it to
work.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Feb 12, 1:19*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Only a prepubescent kid in public school would have a sense of logic
as bad as, or read as poorly as do you.

Provide a link from the USPS that states that you will NOT have your
mail delivered to your home unless your mailbox has a "red flag"
attached to it, which is what was stated.

Also, there are "curbside" mailboxes right in my own neighbor that are
surrounded in brick and mortar with NO red flag. They still get their
mail delivered. What about that, Mr Knowitall????

Your logic is awful (no changes here). They aren't *required* to be
hard asses, but they can be. Because they don't follow regulations to
the letter doesn't mean they can't.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Feb 12, 1:19 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I see you still insist on flunking elementary logic and remedial
reading. You *must* be a prepubescent public school kid.

Hint: It has nothing to do with the flag.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

wrote:

On Feb 12, 1:19 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Provide a link from the USPS that states that you may NOT have your