Posted to alt.home.repair
metspitzer metspitzer is offline

Default Need indicator light in the mailbox to see if anything is inside

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 19:20:07 -0600, Jim Yanik
wrote:

Metspitzer wrote in
:

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 16:22:11 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Matt Williamson wrote:

I'd use a spring switch with a top plate that covers the bottom of
the mailbox. Make sure the spring is strong enough to hold the plate
up but any additonal weight will trip it. Use a battery to light the
led, put the switch in between the led and battery. When there is
mail, it will trip the switch and light the LED. When you remove it,
the spring will will push the plate up and it will go off. You'll
probably need a resistor between the battery and LED depending on
what type of LED you use.

Ohhh! That triggered an idea!

Get one of those spring snakes you find in trick boxes of peanuts and
jam it in the box.

When the (presumably) female mailman opens the box, the high-pitched
scream will alert you to a delivery.

My neighbors put a cat in a mailbox once. They said it jumped into
the mail car when the mailman opened the box.

your neighbors are animal abusers.

They were some pretty mean kids. Thankfully, neither one turned out
to be a serial killer. At least I don't think they did.