Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why aren't refrigerators & freezers designed to benefit fromoutside cold air?

On Monday, July 6, 2015 at 8:57:27 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 7/6/2015 12:12 AM, wrote:
On Thursday, January 28, 2010 at 7:39:00 AM UTC-8, blueman wrote:
I have always wondered about this one...
Refrigerators are one of the top energy consumers in homes.
In Northern climates, the outside temperature is colder than indoor
temperature at least 6 months of the year.

Why aren't they designed with "heat" exchangers to benefit from cool if
not frigid external air?

Even in warm climates (or summers) why isn't the same principle used to
vent the warm air from the compressor & coils outside rather than

Presumably this could all be done by putting the evaporator coils
outside which would in turn decrease (or eliminate if cold enough) the
draw on the compressor during winter months.

Of course, installation might be a little more expensive, but with all
the focus on green-this and green-that why isn't this being done?

all of the responses I've read make the assumption

we have A/C. my house doesn't. I live in Oregon.
the few weeks when it gets very hot the refrigerator
feels like the range has been left on. simply venting
this hot air out thru the roof or exterior wall doesn't
seem too difficult. I could add a bathroom vent fan
if needed and have it turn on when the refr runs.
all of this is a comfort issue, not $ savings.

Doing the outside air thing makes sense. But it would
need coordination between the builders, the HVAC folks,
and the refrigerator designers.

It doesn't make sense. The heat generated by a modern refrigerator
is minimal. In winter, it adds to the heat you want in the house.
Spring/Fall, you typically have windows open, so it doesn't matter.
In summer, if you have no AC, you typically have the windows open,
so it isn't going to matter much. If you have AC it's a small
negative impact on the energy balance. A refrigerator costs less
that $100 a year to run. That isn't much heat. Now compare that
to the cost of the venting, the problems with running the venting,
connecting the venting somehow to the fridge, the electric used to
power the venting, etc and it doesn't add up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd suggest you get a real newsreader and stop
using Google's abomination. You've responded
to a 5-year-old post. By now the poster has
no doubt invented the refrigerator he dreamed of.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/6/2015 9:08 AM, bob haller wrote:
On Monday, July 6, 2015 at 8:57:27 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Doing the outside air thing makes sense. But it would
need coordination between the builders, the HVAC folks,
and the refrigerator designers.

one could probably have a heat echanger outside, run pex to the kitchen attach somehow the condensor coils to say copper line then pump the water of antifreeze from outside thru the coils attached to the fridges heat exchanger.

its a interesting thought

When it gets below 30F in New York, I wonder why
we run our refrig in the 70 degree indoors. Seems
like it would make sense to duct in the cold
outdoor air.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

Because it's a "closed system," dumb****.
LOL

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.rec.driving

Default KILL O WHAT METER?

"J Burns" wrote in message ...

If your house it too hot because it's hot outside, turning on a vent fan
will bring in hot air, any way it can get in.

You can probably get a Kill-o-watt digital meter for under $20. It will
tell you how much electricity your refrigerator uses. Mine averages 50
watts or 36kwh a month. If yours uses much more, you could be a little
cooler by replacing it.

Miss Recktum? You gots one of them Killo watt meters for yer electric
dildos?
To see how much elektricity you are usin'?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/6/2015 12:12 AM, wrote:
[...]

BTW, the coils which get hot are condenser coils, the
cold ones are evaporator. If you put the evaporator
coils outdoors, the food would be warm.

--
.
Christopher A. Young

one could probably have a heat echanger outside, run pex to the kitchen attach somehow the condensor coils to say copper line then pump the water of antifreeze from outside thru the coils attached to the fridges heat exchanger.

its a interesting thought

Not when the cost to run a fridge is under $100 a year.
Clearly that isn't a lot of heat. And the heat is only
an issue in the summer, with AC on. In winter, it's helping.
What do you think all that, ie fluid pumps, antifreeze,
piping, another heat exchanger, etc would add in terms
of cost, maintenance, failure points, etc? Why fix what's
not broken?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, July 6, 2015 at 9:35:12 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 7/6/2015 9:08 AM, bob haller wrote:
On Monday, July 6, 2015 at 8:57:27 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Doing the outside air thing makes sense. But it would
need coordination between the builders, the HVAC folks,
and the refrigerator designers.

one could probably have a heat echanger outside, run pex to the kitchen attach somehow the condensor coils to say copper line then pump the water of antifreeze from outside thru the coils attached to the fridges heat exchanger.

its a interesting thought

When it gets below 30F in New York, I wonder why
we run our refrig in the 70 degree indoors. Seems
like it would make sense to duct in the cold
outdoor air.

Because the heat is helping heat your house for one thing.
It costs less than $100 a year to run a fridge. Let's say
it amounts to $30 in winter. It's like getting $30 worth
of electric heat added to the house. And I can almost
assure you that once you start making more holes going
outside, ducting in cold air, you're going to wind up
losing plenty of energy too. Leaks around openings, ducts
that fail, come apart. Why fix what isn't broken? Even
if you had a fridge where it was possible to install it
that way, you'd find out that 99.X% would never use it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, July 6, 2015 at 9:29:40 AM UTC-4, Mayayana wrote:
I'd suggest you get a real newsreader and stop
using Google's abomination. You've responded
to a 5-year-old post. By now the poster has
no doubt invented the refrigerator he dreamed of.

Here we go again. Try using Google Groups for once, instead
of blindly complaining about it. The date of every post is clearly
shown. People do Google searches for a particular problem, find old
threads and proceed to respond to them. What would you prefer,
that all old threads and the information be lost forever, so
it's *all* started over again, each time?
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.rec.driving

"NEMO" wrote in message ...

On 7/6/2015 6:39 AM, Colon Edmud Jackass Burchese of Ladyboise, Idaho wrote:
"J Burns" wrote in message ...

If your house it too hot because it's hot outside, turning on a vent fan
will bring in hot air, any way it can get in.

You can probably get a Kill-o-watt digital meter for under $20. It will
tell you how much electricity your refrigerator uses. Mine averages 50
watts or 36kwh a month. If yours uses much more, you could be a little
cooler by replacing it.

Miss Recktum? You gots one of them Killo watt meters for yer electric
dildos?
To see how much elektricity you are usin'?

Watt? We don't gots dollars in the UKraine, Coloon...it must be a Great
Satan thing. LOLOK

Mister Puto will tell you and those other Pollocks what you may and may not
have, Miss Recktum
Get used to it.
LOL

Posted to alt.home.repair

I know this is a bit late to reply to this one, but the answer is simple: "It's because the destructive, unsustainable energy we consume is ridiculously & artificially cheap". This is because not only are the many, destructive, externalizer costs (think oil wars & spills, nuclear waste disposal, air & water pollution, climate change, etc) of this energy not figured into the price, but these energies are all subsidized by our backwards gov. policies. That's right, they take "our" hard earned money (to the tune of 800 billion + globally per annum), and give it to oil companies alone. If instead of paying the taxes we pay regardless, we only paid more for the energy we used.., and only when we used it, then we'd demand more efficient appliances, homes, cars, etc. Now add to that if our gov. rightly incorporated into fuel costs the "true" cost of every oil spill (not there worthless attempts to "remediate" them, but actually paid for the damage done to the ecosystem, economies, etc.), the costs of every oil war (trillions?!), the costs of all the air pollution (think hospitalization, premature deaths, etc)... Nuclear catastrophes and hazardous waste dumping (see Hanford nuclear waste site for but one example) then and ONLY then would appliances,,homes, vehicles etc. be made as efficiently as possible. So there you have it... The "truth" as to why these seemingly common sense efficiency improvements don't enter the market... Because our unsustainable energy is "ARTIFICIALLY" cheap! Fur anyone reading this post, do your part to help solve this crisis of idiocy and write, call or at least email your representatives and let them know that you demand that unsustainable energy sources are taxed to incorporate their "true" costs. Don't worry, your energy bills will not increase because viable, sustainable energy sources and efficient technologies will take over more quickly than you can possibly imagine. Here's to a just and peaceful future based on logic and sanity.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, September 4, 2015 at 1:42:34 AM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

If you want to give up 90% of your income for your moonbat ideals, you go right ahead, just don't tell me that I must do the same. That's the problem with Progressive Liberal Leftist Commiecrat Freaks, they want to use the force of government to push their codswallop on everyone else at the point of a gun. It never ceases to amaze me how anti gun nuts want the government to point guns at people to force them to surrender to moonbattery. O_o

[8~{} Uncle Earthling Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, September 4, 2015 at 2:52:46 AM UTC-4, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

Yeah, another clueless hippie, with a silly political conspiracy tale
when it's obvious that the real reason is that it's not practical or worth
it to use outside air for a fridge. The amount of energy a fridge uses in
total isn't much, what it uses in winter helps heat the living space. Even
if it worked perfectly, the difference would be small. Running
ducts outside would not only be a pain in the neck, but it would require a
more powerful fan, cost a significant amount of money, and introduce it's
own energy losses, eg the ducts would be leaking heat into the living space
in summer, taking it out during winter, any protrusions through the walls
wind up leaking air too, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/4/2015 8:39 AM, trader_4 wrote:
Yeah, another clueless hippie, with a silly political conspiracy tale
when it's obvious that the real reason is that it's not practical or worth
it to use outside air for a fridge. The amount of energy a fridge uses in
total isn't much, what it uses in winter helps heat the living space. Even
if it worked perfectly, the difference would be small. Running
ducts outside would not only be a pain in the neck, but it would require a
more powerful fan, cost a significant amount of money, and introduce it's
own energy losses, eg the ducts would be leaking heat into the living space
in summer, taking it out during winter, any protrusions through the walls
wind up leaking air too, etc.

Ah, so it's the fault of cheap energy?
(have to poke the troll)

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.rec.driving

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message ...

On 9/4/2015 8:39 AM, trader_4 wrote:
Yeah, another clueless hippie, with a silly political conspiracy tale
when it's obvious that the real reason is that it's not practical or worth
it to use outside air for a fridge. The amount of energy a fridge uses in
total isn't much, what it uses in winter helps heat the living space. Even
if it worked perfectly, the difference would be small. Running
ducts outside would not only be a pain in the neck, but it would require a
more powerful fan, cost a significant amount of money, and introduce it's
own energy losses, eg the ducts would be leaking heat into the living
space
in summer, taking it out during winter, any protrusions through the walls
wind up leaking air too, etc.

Ah, so it's the fault of cheap energy?
(have to poke the troll)

Maybe you might consider poking our Miss Recktum instead?
Just askin'.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Interesting topic. Probably the benefit doesn't outweigh the cost. Or mayb it is a wash. When I go to the grocery store, I see plenty of free-standing refrigerated cases that put warm air into the space, which then must be removed by the a/c for the whole store. Then again, the big cases are all cooled from outside. My own home refer warms my house in the winter, but goes against the a/c in the summer, so it is a wash.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.rec.driving

Why aren't they designed with "heat" exchangers to benefit from cool if
not frigid external air?

Even in warm climates (or summers) why isn't the same principle used to
vent the warm air from the compressor & coils outside rather than

Presumably this could all be done by putting the evaporator coils
outside which would in turn decrease (or eliminate if cold enough) the
draw on the compressor during winter months.

Of course, installation might be a little more expensive, but with all
the focus on green-this and green-that why isn't this being done?

A little more expensive? The cost of the install of a coventional
refrigerator is zero, you just plug it in. I replaced mine last year
with a 23 cft side by side with water and ice at the door. Operating
cost is about $95 a year. How much do you think you're going to save
in operating costs by moving the condenser outside? In many houses
you'd have to run how many feet of refrigerant tubing to get from the
fridge to a suitable location to house the outside unit? Factor in
installation costs (see the other thread here about permitting
requirements for similar installs) a more complex system, more points
of failure, shorter life due to exposure to the elements and you
clearly have a non-starter.

Also, what happens when it's 10 degrees outside? A regular
refrigerator won't operate below a certain ambient temperature because
of issues with the refrigerant and compressor.

You're approaching the design from retrofitting today's refrigerator
design to today's homes. I'd think that the installation costs would
be near zero if homes and refrigerators were designed 80 years ago
with the outside usage in mind.

I've always wondered why northern homes weren't built with a small
enclosed but uninsulated area for a similar cold storage purpose.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
trader_4 wrote:

Yeah, another clueless hippie, with a silly political conspiracy tale
when it's obvious that the real reason is that it's not practical or worth
it to use outside air for a fridge. The amount of energy a fridge uses in
total isn't much, what it uses in winter helps heat the living space. Even
if it worked perfectly, the difference would be small. Running
ducts outside would not only be a pain in the neck, but it would require a
more powerful fan, cost a significant amount of money, and introduce it's
own energy losses, eg the ducts would be leaking heat into the living space
in summer, taking it out during winter, any protrusions through the walls
wind up leaking air too, etc.

it's amazing that you can get a split A/C that would easily accomplish
this without ducting
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, September 4, 2015 at 2:10:33 PM UTC-4, Malcom Mal Reynolds wrote:
In article ,
trader_4 wrote:

Yeah, another clueless hippie, with a silly political conspiracy tale
when it's obvious that the real reason is that it's not practical or worth
it to use outside air for a fridge. The amount of energy a fridge uses in
total isn't much, what it uses in winter helps heat the living space. Even
if it worked perfectly, the difference would be small. Running
ducts outside would not only be a pain in the neck, but it would require a
more powerful fan, cost a significant amount of money, and introduce it's
own energy losses, eg the ducts would be leaking heat into the living space
in summer, taking it out during winter, any protrusions through the walls
wind up leaking air too, etc.

it's amazing that you can get a split A/C that would easily accomplish
this without ducting

But how much food will a split A/C hold? Yes, instead of ducting outside
air to the fridge, you could turn fridges into split systems, with
the condenser outside. But I think every rational person here sees
all the many issues and increased costs associated with doing it
that way too, to solve a very small alleged problem. The silly hippie
lib that restarted this old thread, is he a relative of yours?
Perhaps you two could get a room together and go in business marketing
such a great appliance innovation......

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, September 4, 2015 at 12:45:07 PM UTC-4, M. L. wrote:
[...]

Eighty years ago or today, it still makes no sense because you're
trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist. It costs about $90
a year to run a fridge. In the cold winter months, that electricity
winds up as added heat in the house, which is a benefit. If we
assume you need heat 6 months of the year, it's like getting $45
worth of electric heat for free. With the proposed fridge,
that heat energy would be lost to the outside. In the spring and fall
it wouldn't matter much one way or the other, as the inside and
outside temps are about the same. In the few summer months, if you
have AC, all it would do is have the small amount of heat generated
go directly outside, instead of into the house and then removed by the AC.
So you might save whatever AC energy it takes to remove ~$20 worth
of heat from the house. That's maybe $7, because an AC has a COP
of about 3. So, by my analysis, what is supposed to be a better
design, actually costs more to run. You lose $45 and gain $7, for
a net loss of $38.

I've always wondered why northern homes weren't built with a small
enclosed but uninsulated area for a similar cold storage purpose.

Because many days it can get well above freezing, so your ice cream would
melt and your fish would spoil. At night it can get very cold,
so your soda and milk freezes. Those are reason enough for me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, September 4, 2015 at 1:10:33 PM UTC-5, Malcom Mal Reynolds wrote:
In article ,
trader_4 wrote:

Yeah, another clueless hippie, with a silly political conspiracy tale
when it's obvious that the real reason is that it's not practical or worth
it to use outside air for a fridge. The amount of energy a fridge uses in
total isn't much, what it uses in winter helps heat the living space. Even
if it worked perfectly, the difference would be small. Running
ducts outside would not only be a pain in the neck, but it would require a
more powerful fan, cost a significant amount of money, and introduce it's
own energy losses, eg the ducts would be leaking heat into the living space
in summer, taking it out during winter, any protrusions through the walls
wind up leaking air too, etc.

it's amazing that you can get a split A/C that would easily accomplish
this without ducting

So you want to run refrigeration lines all over a house to install mini split heat pumps in every room? You can get a 5 zone mini split system that works very well with an option for ceiling cassette, wall mount, hidden ducted or universal indoor units that can be mixed and matched connected to the same condensing unit. The systems have all kinds of nice features like individual temperature control for each zone, optional WiFi interface and very quiet operation but there are some things to consider. A line set must be run to each unit, power and thermostat wiring to each unit and a possible penetration of the wall for each unit, more points for possible refrigerant leaks and the complexity of the system. When the cost of all the options is added up, such a multi zone mini split system can be much more expensive than a ducted central HVAC system. There are small duct high velocity systems that are much more affordable than a multi zone mini split system without the complexity. If I had to install an HVAC system in any home, I'd choose the small duct high velocity system. ^_^

http://tinyurl.com/p2ojwwb

http://spacepak.com/consumer-central-air/

[8~{} Uncle AC Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/4/2015 7:07 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

I've been following the thread. Malformed wants to run a
ductless mini split to provide cold air for the inside
of the refrigerator.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, September 5, 2015 at 7:10:42 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

Cool! He can use one of the zones for the evaporator in his/her/its refrigerator. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Zone Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 wrote:

[...]

I once stayed in a "hotel" that had the room heated with a refrigeration
unit.
The fan blew the heat from the condenser into the room.
Utterly useless. I did a moan got a fan heater and was asked not to leave it
on all night. Yeah sure.

Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 wrote:

[...]

The electric heating elements or control were probably defective. Heat pump systems often have auxiliary electric heat. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Hot Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
trader_4 wrote:

On Friday, September 4, 2015 at 2:10:33 PM UTC-4, Malcom Mal Reynolds
wrote:
In article ,
trader_4 wrote:

Yeah, another clueless hippie, with a silly political conspiracy
tale when it's obvious that the real reason is that it's not
practical or worth it to use outside air for a fridge. The
amount of energy a fridge uses in total isn't much, what it uses
in winter helps heat the living space. Even if it worked
perfectly, the difference would be small. Running ducts outside
would not only be a pain in the neck, but it would require a more
powerful fan, cost a significant amount of money, and introduce
it's own energy losses, eg the ducts would be leaking heat into
the living space in summer, taking it out during winter, any
protrusions through the walls wind up leaking air too, etc.

it's amazing that you can get a split A/C that would easily
accomplish this without ducting

But how much food will a split A/C hold?

as much as you make room for it. in fact it doesn't seem unreasonable to
make such a fridge in a way that allows for easy expansion/contraction
as circumstances warrant

Yes, instead of ducting outside
air to the fridge, you could turn fridges into split systems, with
the condenser outside. But I think every rational person here sees
all the many issues and increased costs associated with doing it that
way too, to solve a very small alleged problem.

is there some problem with discussing other solutions to problems or is
it that rightards are unable to not only think outside of the box, they
don't even know what a box is

The silly hippie lib
that restarted this old thread, is he a relative of yours? Perhaps
you two could get a room together and go in business marketing such a
great appliance innovation......

just like rightards to make everything about sex
Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 wrote:

[...]

where did I say that? you been sniffing that trump cologne?

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/5/2015 4:06 PM, Malcom Mal Reynolds wrote:
In article ,
trader_4 wrote:

Yes, instead of ducting outside
air to the fridge, you could turn fridges into split systems, with
the condenser outside. But I think every rational person here sees
all the many issues and increased costs associated with doing it that
way too, to solve a very small alleged problem.

is there some problem with discussing other solutions to problems or is
it that rightards are unable to not only think outside of the box, they
don't even know what a box is

CY: I've found that rightards look for that which works. Which
leaves most leftards out of the picture. BTW, a box is
the job Muhammed Ali used to have.

The silly hippie lib
that restarted this old thread, is he a relative of yours? Perhaps
you two could get a room together and go in business marketing such a
great appliance innovation......

just like rightards to make everything about sex

CY: Naah, not a chance. We know what sex
is (I'm considered M) and we're satisifed
with what God gave us.

..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, September 5, 2015 at 3:07:32 PM UTC-5, Malcom Mal Reynolds wrote:

trader_4 wrote:

[...]

I'm sure Ivanka Trump has a cologne for men with her name on it but I don't care for smelly stuff like perfume or cologne. Right Guard spray is smelly enough for me and fights the real stink. I do think Ivanka is cute. ^_^

To quote what you wrote: "it's amazing that you can get a split A/C that would easily accomplish this without ducting." What you described is known as a "mini split" AC or heat pump. Perhaps I didn't realize you were demonstrating your ignorance of the subject and I should have explained what "remote condensing units" for refrigeration systems are. Remote condensing units for ice machines, walk in coolers and freezers are quite common for restaurants, grocery and convenience stores. Those type systems work very well for commercial customers but the reason you never see them in a regular home is because they're FRAKING EXPENSIVE! If you wish to empty your bank account or take out a loan, I know a number of guys who'd be glad to modify your refrigerator and install a remote condenser for you. Hell, if were able bodied and able to work again, I'd do the project for you. $150.00 per hour plus travel and expenses. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Mod Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/5/2015 5:44 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

I got a call one time from a fellow who owned an old
age home with kitchen. He asked if I might take the
condensing unit off top of the fridge (in the
ceiling heat) and put it in the cellar where it's
cool. I was pleased to do that, and he was pleased
with the lower energy bills.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, September 5, 2015 at 4:06:21 PM UTC-4, Malcom Mal Reynolds wrote:
In article ,
trader_4 wrote:

On Friday, September 4, 2015 at 2:10:33 PM UTC-4, Malcom Mal Reynolds
wrote:
In article ,
trader_4 wrote:

[...]

You can discuss all you want. It was a dumb idea 80 years ago,
it's a dumb idea today, it will still be a dumb idea tomorrow and
everyone here knows it, except you.

"in fact it doesn't seem unreasonable to make such a fridge in
a way that allows for easy expansion/contraction as circumstances warrant"

I suggest you go make your split system, with the condenser outside
and the appliance box inside easy expandable/contractable. See how
much it costs and how many you sell given that people are perfectly
happy with the fridges they have, there is no energy savings worth spit,
and the vast majority of fridges have a fixed space to fit in.

The silly hippie lib
that restarted this old thread, is he a relative of yours? Perhaps
you two could get a room together and go in business marketing such a
great appliance innovation......

just like rightards to make everything about sex

I figured maybe that's something you have knowledge of and could
relate to, because you're obviously the village idiot about everything
else.
Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 wrote:

[...]

I'd say there are other reasons you don't see remote condensing units
in a house. Besides being more costly to manufacture, they require
power at two locations, probably requiring a pro to do the elec hookup
and line connections. And more importantly, it solves an alleged
problem that doesn't exist. Typical
fridge uses $90 a year in electricity. The difference in potential energy
usage isn't worth it. And I did a quick analysis here in another post
where it looks to me like for most homes, you'd actually wind up using
more energy. Oh, and how long do things that are put outside, in the elements,
tend to last compared to those protected and inside?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
trader_4 wrote:

I figured maybe that's something you have knowledge of and could
relate to, because you're obviously the village idiot about everything
else.

I am in no way related to your family
Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 wrote:

Yes, instead of ducting outside
air to the fridge, you could turn fridges into split systems, with
the condenser outside. But I think every rational person here sees
all the many issues and increased costs associated with doing it that
way too, to solve a very small alleged problem.

is there some problem with discussing other solutions to problems or is
it that rightards are unable to not only think outside of the box, they
don't even know what a box is

CY: I've found that rightards look for that which works.

which explains why rightards seldom advance anything

Which
leaves most leftards out of the picture. BTW, a box is
the job Muhammed Ali used to have.

The silly hippie lib
that restarted this old thread, is he a relative of yours? Perhaps
you two could get a room together and go in business marketing such a
great appliance innovation......

just like rightards to make everything about sex

CY: Naah, not a chance. We know what sex
is (I'm considered M) and we're satisifed
with what God gave us.

.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Uncle Monster wrote:

On Saturday, September 5, 2015 at 3:07:32 PM UTC-5, Malcom Mal
Reynolds wrote:
In article ,
Uncle Monster wrote:

On Friday, September 4, 2015 at 1:10:33 PM UTC-5, Malcom Mal
Reynolds wrote:
In article
,
trader_4 wrote:

[...]

refering to A/C as an example of how it could be accomplished.

What you described is known as
a "mini split" AC or heat pump. Perhaps I didn't realize you were
demonstrating your ignorance of the subject and I should have
explained what "remote condensing units" for refrigeration systems
are. Remote condensing units for ice machines, walk in coolers and
freezers are quite common for restaurants, grocery and convenience
stores. Those type systems work very well for commercial customers
but the reason you never see them in a regular home is because
they're FRAKING EXPENSIVE! If you wish to empty your bank account or
take out a loan, I know a number of guys who'd be glad to modify your
refrigerator and install a remote condenser for you. Hell, if were
able bodied and able to work again, I'd do the project for you.
$150.00 per hour plus travel and expenses. ^_^

that you could do it is reason enough not to

[8~{} Uncle Mod Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, September 5, 2015 at 7:39:09 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

How could he possibly see a difference in an electric
bill for an old age home due to where the condensing
unit was located or even if there was a fridge at all?
Unless it was metered separately, it would be lost in
the noise.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/5/2015 8:32 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Saturday, September 5, 2015 at 7:39:09 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I got a call one time from a fellow who owned an old
age home with kitchen. He asked if I might take the
condensing unit off top of the fridge (in the
ceiling heat) and put it in the cellar where it's
cool. I was pleased to do that, and he was pleased
with the lower energy bills.

How could he possibly see a difference in an electric
bill for an old age home due to where the condensing
unit was located or even if there was a fridge at all?
Unless it was metered separately, it would be lost in
the noise.

Lower ambient temp means the unit works less.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, September 5, 2015 at 6:39:09 PM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

Those old open drive refrigerators are cool(pun intended). If the compressor slings a rod, you can always retrofit one from an automobile. That and a new belt and you're back to cooling the beer again. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Fridge Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 wrote:

[...]

I'll bet some of those multimillion dollar homes have them in a commercial style kitchen so the owner can entertain lots of guests. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Kitchen Monster

Refrigerators that stop working when it's cold? William R. Walsh[_2_] Electronics Repair 10 December 13th 09 08:58 AM
Freezers / F.Freezers - mine just died - any recomendations? tester UK diy 14 December 13th 06 05:43 PM
Q: Fridges & freezers Flynn UK diy 1 November 2nd 06 10:43 AM
Freezers: keep warm or keep cold? John UK diy 17 September 5th 06 01:35 PM