Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Freezers / F.Freezers - mine just died - any recomendations?

Hi,

My freezer just died this morning - after 15+ years of service! It was
an upright freezer only.

I've replaced my fridge some years back back this Electrolux just kept
going - until this morning. So, any makes to avoid or any that stand
out?

Otherwise I guess I'll just looka round and take a chance.

Thanks for any advice.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tester" wrote in message

Hi,

My freezer just died this morning - after 15+ years of service! It was
an upright freezer only.

I've replaced my fridge some years back back this Electrolux just kept
going - until this morning. So, any makes to avoid or any that stand
out?

Otherwise I guess I'll just looka round and take a chance.

Thanks for any advice.

Bekos are rebadges Hotpoints, and I've got a Beko frost free which on a
couple of occasions has just mushed along at 0C in the freezer compartment.
Its to do with a build up of ice on the heat exchanger. Its easy enough to
snap it back into operation ( hairdryer directed into the fanhole at the
back of the freezer for 5 minutes ) but I've heard others complain about a
similar fault so it might be one to ok out for.

Get an energy class A frost-free freezer is my advice, if they work properly
its a great advance on defrosting the freezer and hacking ice out every so
often.

Andy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tester wrote:

Hi,

My freezer just died this morning - after 15+ years of service! It was
an upright freezer only.

I've replaced my fridge some years back back this Electrolux just kept
going - until this morning. So, any makes to avoid or any that stand
out?

Otherwise I guess I'll just looka round and take a chance.

Thanks for any advice.

If it lasted 15 years, another of the same brand???

My Hotpoint Iced Diamond is 11 years old and it still looks and performs
like new. Quiet + smooth easy to wipe evaporator. One plastic clip broke on
the lower inner door flap, replaced last year for a quid or two.

You might consider a frost-free if needed: - though there's more point for
fridges over freezers - I defrost only once per year anyway, but your
pattern of usage might be different to mine.

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim S writes:

If it lasted 15 years, another of the same brand???

My Hotpoint Iced Diamond is 11 years old and it still looks and performs
like new. Quiet + smooth easy to wipe evaporator. One plastic clip broke on
the lower inner door flap, replaced last year for a quid or two.

You might consider a frost-free if needed: - though there's more point for
fridges over freezers - I defrost only once per year anyway, but your
pattern of usage might be different to mine.

I know a number of people with frost free freezers,
and I've never regretted not getting one ;-)

My non-frost free seems to need defrosting about every
5 years, which is longer than many frost-free ones will
run without something going wrong which wrecks the contents.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tester wrote:

Hi,

My freezer just died this morning - after 15+ years of service! It was
an upright freezer only.

I've replaced my fridge some years back back this Electrolux just kept
going - until this morning. So, any makes to avoid or any that stand
out?

Otherwise I guess I'll just looka round and take a chance.

kelkoo.co.uk lets you search on models of fridge/freezer by various
options.

Useful for narrowing down.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-12-11 15:27:25 +0000, tester said:

Hi,

My freezer just died this morning - after 15+ years of service! It was
an upright freezer only.

I've replaced my fridge some years back back this Electrolux just kept
going - until this morning. So, any makes to avoid or any that stand
out?

Otherwise I guess I'll just looka round and take a chance.

Thanks for any advice.

Liebherr is probably the best on the market...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 19:28:14 +0000, Andy wrote:

Bekos are rebadges Hotpoints, and I've got a Beko frost free which on a
couple of occasions has just mushed along at 0C in the freezer
compartment. Its to do with a build up of ice on the heat exchanger. Its
easy enough to snap it back into operation ( hairdryer directed into the
fanhole at the back of the freezer for 5 minutes ) but I've heard others
complain about a similar fault so it might be one to ok out for.

Hmmm, we'll see .... The Man From Hotpoint is coming tomorrow to look at
our 3-month old Hotpoint Fridge Freezer which no longer fridges (freezer
OK tho').

BTW be warned if buying a Hotpoint that the weasels in their marketing
department (don't know about other makes) have decided that they can call
a machine a 'Frost-Free Fridge Freezer' even if only the Freezer is
frost-free. By their terminology you need a _Fully_ Frost Free Fridge
Freezer (try saying that with a mouth full of cornflakes :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 22:52:12 GMT, John Stumbles
wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the replies - lookin around not many upright freezers today
seem a patch on my very old Electrolux. They may be more energy
efficient, but the space inside seems much less for almost the same
dimensions - a Tardis effect

Although frost-free and fridge/freezer seems great, as I have a 3 year
old fridge and space for a freezer, I think I will go for a basic
freezer and not frost free - nice when things work, but too much to go
wrong, especially with a combined FF.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:
tester wrote:

Hi,

My freezer just died this morning - after 15+ years of service! It was
an upright freezer only.

I've replaced my fridge some years back back this Electrolux just kept
going - until this morning. So, any makes to avoid or any that stand
out?

Otherwise I guess I'll just looka round and take a chance.

Thanks for any advice.

If it lasted 15 years, another of the same brand???

Flawed logic unfortunately...

In the vast majority of cases the only thing in common between branded
products from 15 years ago and today is the name... the ownership,
design, manufacturing and quality will likely have changed massively.
Hence, assuming a replacement with the same name will give you the same
performance and longetivity is exactly the reason why the brands have
changed hands so many times... there's money to be made from the logo
alone.

There is a good page at
http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=17
describing 'whos who'.

Mathew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Stumbles wrote:

BTW be warned if buying a Hotpoint that the weasels in their marketing
department (don't know about other makes) have decided that they can call
a machine a 'Frost-Free Fridge Freezer' even if only the Freezer is
frost-free. By their terminology you need a _Fully_ Frost Free Fridge
Freezer (try saying that with a mouth full of cornflakes :-)

As far as I am aware there's no such thing as a 'frost free' fridge.

Rather, they are 'automatic defrost' insofar that the cooling element
is not located inside the fridge compartment but within the back panel.
Hence, moist air doesn't come directly into contact with the elements
and therefore doesn't freeze on contact. Where it does manage to freeze
on the surfaces of the panel inside the fridge it soon melts when the
compressor turns off given the 0c temperature inside the fridge.

Are you getting ice buildup in your fridge? If so, it sounds like it's
knackered.

Mathew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mathew Newton wrote:

Tim S wrote:
tester wrote:

[...]

Not so much "flawed logic" as "omission of key fact", but you are right, in
hindsight. Same with cars - buy a Cheverolet Matiz but you are really to
all intents and purposes getting a Daewoo assembled by Vauxhall.

Even long lived names need some care too - Bosch Logixx products are (at the
last count anyway) designed and built in Germany whereas their low end
stuff is built in Spain. Probably safe with Miele though.

There is a good page at

http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=17
describing 'whos who'.

Mathew

That does make a very interesting read. Didn't realise that Bosch, Siemens
and Neff were co-owned.

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 13:29:01 +0000, Tim S wrote:

That does make a very interesting read. Didn't realise that Bosch, Siemens
and Neff were co-owned.

Amuses me that Bauknecht is a brand my wife loves but she hates Whirlpool.

So sign of smeg in that lot.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:

Even long lived names need some care too - Bosch Logixx products are (at the
last count anyway) designed and built in Germany whereas their low end
stuff is built in Spain. Probably safe with Miele though.

That's a good point... Even once we accept that you can't assume a
particular brand is what it appears we've then got to look at indivual
ranges!

That does make a very interesting read. Didn't realise that Bosch, Siemens
and Neff were co-owned.

For what it's worth... As discussed it probably provides little more
than being something of interest!

Mathew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mathew Newton wrote:
Tim S wrote:

Even long lived names need some care too - Bosch Logixx products are (at the
last count anyway) designed and built in Germany whereas their low end
stuff is built in Spain. Probably safe with Miele though.

That's a good point... Even once we accept that you can't assume a
particular brand is what it appears we've then got to look at indivual
ranges!

I note that miele's washing machines have a guarantee of 10 years,
whereas their fridges have 2 years.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 19:28:14 +0000, Andy wrote:

Bekos are rebadges Hotpoints, and I've got a Beko frost free which on a

[...]

Thanks for the replies - lookin around not many upright freezers today
seem a patch on my very old Electrolux. They may be more energy
efficient, but the space inside seems much less for almost the same
dimensions - a Tardis effect

Although frost-free and fridge/freezer seems great, as I have a 3 year
old fridge and space for a freezer, I think I will go for a basic
freezer and not frost free - nice when things work, but too much to go
wrong, especially with a combined FF.

IMHO, you are particularly lucky if you have space for a chest freezer;
in which case don't even think of a fridge-freezer or an upright
freezer (if such exists); upright far too easy to leave slightly open,
especially if, like me, you visit it mainly after consumption of
aperatifs --- though a sensor + alarm device from Maplin, properly
sited, does give an adequate and early warning. For me, independence of
fridge and freezer is comforting too.

My white goods repair man reckons that frost-free have too many
additional things to go wrong --- I pass that on without evaluation.
OTOH, when I went to buy a new fridge-freezer last year, the absence of
frost-free greatly restricted the choice and appeared not to reduce the
price by much.

Best regards,

Jon C.

Q: Fridges & freezers Flynn UK diy 1 November 2nd 06 10:43 AM
Freezers: keep warm or keep cold? John UK diy 17 September 5th 06 01:35 PM
BRANDT FREEZERS Davao UK diy 5 July 25th 06 03:50 PM
Fridge Freezers choice?? vince UK diy 1 November 3rd 05 10:12 PM
Fridge Freezers Adrian Simpson UK diy 11 January 17th 04 04:02 PM