Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Why aren't refrigerators & freezers designed to benefit fromoutside cold air?

On Monday, July 6, 2015 at 9:35:12 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 7/6/2015 9:08 AM, bob haller wrote:
On Monday, July 6, 2015 at 8:57:27 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Doing the outside air thing makes sense. But it would
need coordination between the builders, the HVAC folks,
and the refrigerator designers.

one could probably have a heat echanger outside, run pex to the kitchen attach somehow the condensor coils to say copper line then pump the water of antifreeze from outside thru the coils attached to the fridges heat exchanger.

its a interesting thought

When it gets below 30F in New York, I wonder why
we run our refrig in the 70 degree indoors. Seems
like it would make sense to duct in the cold
outdoor air.

Because the heat is helping heat your house for one thing.
It costs less than $100 a year to run a fridge. Let's say
it amounts to $30 in winter. It's like getting $30 worth
of electric heat added to the house. And I can almost
assure you that once you start making more holes going
outside, ducting in cold air, you're going to wind up
losing plenty of energy too. Leaks around openings, ducts
that fail, come apart. Why fix what isn't broken? Even
if you had a fridge where it was possible to install it
that way, you'd find out that 99.X% would never use it.