Posted to alt.home.repair
Malcom Mal Reynolds Malcom Mal Reynolds is offline

Default Why aren't refrigerators & freezers designed to benefit from outside cold air?

In article ,
Uncle Monster wrote:

On Friday, September 4, 2015 at 1:10:33 PM UTC-5, Malcom Mal Reynolds wrote:
In article ,
trader_4 wrote:

Yeah, another clueless hippie, with a silly political conspiracy tale
when it's obvious that the real reason is that it's not practical or
worth
it to use outside air for a fridge. The amount of energy a fridge uses
in
total isn't much, what it uses in winter helps heat the living space.
Even
if it worked perfectly, the difference would be small. Running
ducts outside would not only be a pain in the neck, but it would require
more powerful fan, cost a significant amount of money, and introduce it's
own energy losses, eg the ducts would be leaking heat into the living
space
in summer, taking it out during winter, any protrusions through the walls
wind up leaking air too, etc.

it's amazing that you can get a split A/C that would easily accomplish
this without ducting

So you want to run refrigeration lines all over a house to install mini split
heat pumps in every room?

where did I say that? you been sniffing that trump cologne?

You can get a 5 zone mini split system that works
very well with an option for ceiling cassette, wall mount, hidden ducted or
universal indoor units that can be mixed and matched connected to the same
condensing unit. The systems have all kinds of nice features like individual
temperature control for each zone, optional WiFi interface and very quiet
operation but there are some things to consider. A line set must be run to
each unit, power and thermostat wiring to each unit and a possible
penetration of the wall for each unit, more points for possible refrigerant
leaks and the complexity of the system. When the cost of all the options is
added up, such a multi zone mini split system can be much more expensive than
a ducted central HVAC system. There are small duct high velocity systems that
are much more affordable than a multi zone mini split system without the
complexity. If I had to install an HVAC system in any home, I'd choose the
small duct high velocity system. ^_^

http://tinyurl.com/p2ojwwb

http://spacepak.com/consumer-central-air/

[8~{} Uncle AC Monster