Posted to alt.home.repair
Malcom Mal Reynolds Malcom Mal Reynolds is offline

Default Why aren't refrigerators & freezers designed to benefit from outside cold air?

In article ,
Uncle Monster wrote:

On Saturday, September 5, 2015 at 3:07:32 PM UTC-5, Malcom Mal
Reynolds wrote:
In article ,
Uncle Monster wrote:

On Friday, September 4, 2015 at 1:10:33 PM UTC-5, Malcom Mal
Reynolds wrote:
In article
,
trader_4 wrote:

Yeah, another clueless hippie, with a silly political
conspiracy tale when it's obvious that the real reason is
that it's not practical or worth it to use outside air for a
fridge. The amount of energy a fridge uses in total isn't
much, what it uses in winter helps heat the living space.
Even if it worked perfectly, the difference would be small.
Running ducts outside would not only be a pain in the neck,
but it would require a more powerful fan, cost a significant
amount of money, and introduce it's own energy losses, eg the
ducts would be leaking heat into the living space in summer,
taking it out during winter, any protrusions through the
walls wind up leaking air too, etc.

it's amazing that you can get a split A/C that would easily
accomplish this without ducting

So you want to run refrigeration lines all over a house to
install mini split heat pumps in every room?

where did I say that? you been sniffing that trump cologne?

I'm sure Ivanka Trump has a cologne for men with her name on it but I
don't care for smelly stuff like perfume or cologne. Right Guard
spray is smelly enough for me and fights the real stink. I do think
Ivanka is cute. ^_^

To quote what you wrote: "it's amazing that you can get a split A/C
that would easily accomplish this without ducting."

refering to A/C as an example of how it could be accomplished.

What you described is known as
a "mini split" AC or heat pump. Perhaps I didn't realize you were
demonstrating your ignorance of the subject and I should have
explained what "remote condensing units" for refrigeration systems
are. Remote condensing units for ice machines, walk in coolers and
freezers are quite common for restaurants, grocery and convenience
stores. Those type systems work very well for commercial customers
but the reason you never see them in a regular home is because
they're FRAKING EXPENSIVE! If you wish to empty your bank account or
take out a loan, I know a number of guys who'd be glad to modify your
refrigerator and install a remote condenser for you. Hell, if were
able bodied and able to work again, I'd do the project for you.
$150.00 per hour plus travel and expenses. ^_^

that you could do it is reason enough not to

[8~{} Uncle Mod Monster