Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why aren't refrigerators & freezers designed to benefit fromoutside cold air?

On 9/5/2015 9:09 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
I got a call one time from a fellow who owned an old
age home with kitchen. He asked if I might take the
condensing unit off top of the fridge (in the
ceiling heat) and put it in the cellar where it's
cool. I was pleased to do that, and he was pleased
with the lower energy bills.
-
.

Those old open drive refrigerators are cool(pun intended).

If the compressor slings a rod, you can always retrofit one
from an automobile. That and a new belt and you're back to
cooling the beer again. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Fridge Monster

This one was about third horse tin can. But, yes,
the old belt drives were fun.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, September 5, 2015 at 9:12:22 PM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 9/5/2015 9:09 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
I got a call one time from a fellow who owned an old
age home with kitchen. He asked if I might take the
condensing unit off top of the fridge (in the
ceiling heat) and put it in the cellar where it's
cool. I was pleased to do that, and he was pleased
with the lower energy bills.
-
.

Those old open drive refrigerators are cool(pun intended).

If the compressor slings a rod, you can always retrofit one
from an automobile. That and a new belt and you're back to
cooling the beer again. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Fridge Monster

This one was about third horse tin can. But, yes,
the old belt drives were fun.
-
.

Me and my brother had to repair a 120 ton AC system that had 2 open drive motors and compressors. We pulled a 60hp 440 volt 3 phase motor to take it to the motor shop to get it rewound. It was a lot of fun reinstalling the motor to get it lined up as perfectly as possible. The engine hoist came in real handy. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Motor Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, September 5, 2015 at 8:55:12 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 9/5/2015 8:32 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Saturday, September 5, 2015 at 7:39:09 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I got a call one time from a fellow who owned an old
age home with kitchen. He asked if I might take the
condensing unit off top of the fridge (in the
ceiling heat) and put it in the cellar where it's
cool. I was pleased to do that, and he was pleased
with the lower energy bills.

How could he possibly see a difference in an electric
bill for an old age home due to where the condensing
unit was located or even if there was a fridge at all?
Unless it was metered separately, it would be lost in
the noise.

Lower ambient temp means the unit works less.

That isn't the issue. I agree that with lower ambient temp
it's going to use less energy. The issue is how the operator
would see that difference in an electric bill for an old age
home. Presumably there are a lot of other loads, the bill is
likely substantial and the small difference would be lost in the
noise.

Also, it's a different situation from a home. In a commercial
kitchen getting rid of excess heat is likely a good thing all
the time, because the kitchens get uncomfortably hot. In a house,
for about 6 months of the year, the heat from a fridge is essentially
free heat to help heat the house and if you get rid of it outdoors,
it's lost.
to waste.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/5/2015 10:50 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:

Me and my brother had to repair a 120 ton AC system that had 2 open drive motors and compressors. We pulled a 60hp 440 volt 3 phase motor to take it to the motor shop to get it rewound. It was a lot of fun reinstalling the motor to get it lined up as perfectly as possible. The engine hoist came in real handy. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Motor Monster

I bet low on freon took on a whole new meaning?

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
trader_4 wrote:

[...]

and for about 6 months of the year the waste heat is an additional load
on your cooling system
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 6 Sep 2015 05:51:17 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

Of course hippies don't study thermodynamics or much other science
for that matter. They just smoke pot, hug trees and have beliefs.

....but, But, BUT they have "feelings" and expect everybody else to be
sensitive to those FEELINGS
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, September 6, 2015 at 3:10:15 PM UTC-4, Malcom Mal Reynolds wrote:
In article ,
trader_4 wrote:

[...]

Wrong again, at least for much of the USA. Here, I need heat about
6 months of the year. Another 3 months, ie part of spring and fall,
I have windows open and/or don't need any heating or cooling. It's
only about 3 months where I need cooling. And as previously posted,
the heat gain in those 6 cold months is a direct positive. If the fridge
electric usage is $45 over that period, it's like getting $45 of free
electric resistance heat. Over the 3 summer AC months, the fridge
puts out about $22 worth of heat. But because the AC has a COP of
about 3, it only cost $7 to remove it. $45 - $7, is a net gain of $38.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

of course with a COP of 3 you could get about $135 worth of heat from
the heat pump during the winter

Over the 3 summer AC months, the fridge
puts out about $22 worth of heat. But because the AC has a COP of
about 3, it only cost $7 to remove it. $45 - $7, is a net gain of $38.

sure, but the fact that the AC has to remove the heat of the fridge may
indicate that had that heat not been in the house in the first place,
you might not have had to run the AC at all, which would be a net gain
of ?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, September 6, 2015 at 7:53:06 PM UTC-4, Malcom Mal Reynolds wrote:

Wrong again, at least for much of the USA. Here, I need heat about
6 months of the year. Another 3 months, ie part of spring and fall,
I have windows open and/or don't need any heating or cooling. It's
only about 3 months where I need cooling. And as previously posted,
the heat gain in those 6 cold months is a direct positive. If the fridge
electric usage is $45 over that period, it's like getting $45 of free
electric resistance heat.

of course with a COP of 3 you could get about $135 worth of heat from
the heat pump during the winter

No you wouldn't dummy, because the condenser in your remote condensing
unit, variable space, configurable space mythical fridge design is outside.
It takes the heat from inside the fridge and pumps it *outside*. You lose
that heat all year long.

Over the 3 summer AC months, the fridge
puts out about $22 worth of heat. But because the AC has a COP of
about 3, it only cost $7 to remove it. $45 - $7, is a net gain of $38.

sure, but the fact that the AC has to remove the heat of the fridge may
indicate that had that heat not been in the house in the first place,
you might not have had to run the AC at all, which would be a net gain
of ?

Again, you need to stop embarrassing yourself. Apparently you don't
even have a fridge, because if you did, you'd know that the heat that
it puts out is very small. Fridge uses $90 worth of electricity a *year*.
That's 25 cents a day. How hot can you get a house with 25 cents worth
of electric heat? Good grief, you are so dumb.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
trader_4 wrote:

[...]

I was talking about your mythical AC

Over the 3 summer AC months, the fridge
puts out about $22 worth of heat. But because the AC has a COP of
about 3, it only cost $7 to remove it. $45 - $7, is a net gain of $38.

sure, but the fact that the AC has to remove the heat of the fridge may
indicate that had that heat not been in the house in the first place,
you might not have had to run the AC at all, which would be a net gain
of ?

Again, you need to stop embarrassing yourself. Apparently you don't
even have a fridge, because if you did, you'd know that the heat that
it puts out is very small. Fridge uses $90 worth of electricity a *year*.
That's 25 cents a day. How hot can you get a house with 25 cents worth
of electric heat? Good grief, you are so dumb.

wow, who thought that money was a unit of power
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, September 6, 2015 at 11:27:22 PM UTC-4, Malcom Mal Reynolds wrote:
In article ,
trader_4 wrote:

[...]

Who would think a human being could be so dumb, but here you are.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
trader_4 wrote:

[...]

and you're too dumb to leave. LOL
Posted to alt.home.repair

You could freeze water in bottles outside and then put it in fridge until they melt. I doubt it would save much money but it could keep you busy during times of boredom.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I know you were talking about this years ago, but I just wanted to write in that I moved into a house that has a wine cellar. The problem is that the last owners were probably paying hundreds, if under a thousand, dollars per year to keep it cool. But in Montana, we have lots of cools - even on the hottest day of the year, it's likely to drop below 50F at night.

So, I ran some ductwork into and out of the wine cellar from outdoors, stuck some 43CFM CPU fans in it (2 on input, 2 on output), and turned it on overnight.

Problems on first try: 3" duct is too small, even with power. More importantly, corrugated flexible duct is extremely resistive to air flow. And it's also apparently a great conductor. The duct traverses the ceiling of the wood room (firewood storage, so not generally heated), and comes out the other end of the tube at whatever temperature it is in the wood room.

Results: Pumping in air around freezing, almost none of those "cools" made it into the wine cellar, although tons of cools were dropped into the wood room overnight.

Lessons learned: For low power, quiet air movement, and to reduce temperature exchange, a duct to a refrigerator would need to be significant diameter (I'll be replacing with mostly 6", and 4" at the complicated bendy parts), non-corrugated (straight wall), and seriously well-insulated duct. I think it could work, but it's not as straightforward as you would think.

On Thursday, January 28, 2010 at 8:39:00 AM UTC-7, blueman wrote:
I have always wondered about this one...
Refrigerators are one of the top energy consumers in homes.
In Northern climates, the outside temperature is colder than indoor
temperature at least 6 months of the year.

Why aren't they designed with "heat" exchangers to benefit from cool if
not frigid external air?

Even in warm climates (or summers) why isn't the same principle used to
vent the warm air from the compressor & coils outside rather than

Presumably this could all be done by putting the evaporator coils
outside which would in turn decrease (or eliminate if cold enough) the
draw on the compressor during winter months.

Of course, installation might be a little more expensive, but with all
the focus on green-this and green-that why isn't this being done?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, January 28, 2010 at 7:09:00 PM UTC+3:30, blueman wrote:
I have always wondered about this one...
Refrigerators are one of the top energy consumers in homes.
In Northern climates, the outside temperature is colder than indoor
temperature at least 6 months of the year.

Why aren't they designed with "heat" exchangers to benefit from cool if
not frigid external air?

Even in warm climates (or summers) why isn't the same principle used to
vent the warm air from the compressor & coils outside rather than

Presumably this could all be done by putting the evaporator coils
outside which would in turn decrease (or eliminate if cold enough) the
draw on the compressor during winter months.

Of course, installation might be a little more expensive, but with all
the focus on green-this and green-that why isn't this being done?

I think solution would be design of system like central heating in buildings in order to decrease expense of fridge with outdoor condenser
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, January 29, 2018 at 4:54:56 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Mon, 29 Jan 2018 12:39:16 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

[...]

In the winter time why would you want to waste that heat outside and
in the summer it is usually hotter outside than inside.

These people must think that a fridge has a 1 hp motor running most of the
time. I put a killawatt meter on a couple new ones, ~90W when running and
they only run a fraction of the time. I could run that continuously here
for 12 hours for 13 cents. With it cycling, it's a few bucks a month.

And what would having a split design, with the condenser outside cost?
Both in added hardware cost and in installation? It's a really dumb idea.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I've wondered about this for decades, although not seriously enough to go anyplace with it. But
I think you're on a good track, and I think it will happen.

The worst thing about refridgerators in the USA is the Energy Star group pressuring folks to
ditch their old, inefficient units and buy new ones... every week or so, apparently. And they
are quick to destroy the old units, effectively eliminating the used appliance market, and
forcing even the poorest folks to buy new.

--
croy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 30 Jan 2018 09:06:25 -0800, croy
wrote:

[...]

You can drive around my neighborhood just about any week and find a
fridge sitting on the curb. Most still run, the icemaker is bad or
some other $40-50 part.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

ok guys i have solution
one make outside transfer widget for kegger have timer and gear make it happen i did
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, January 30, 2018 at 12:06:32 PM UTC-5, croy wrote:
[...]

This is just beyond stupid. It would not decrease the cost of a
refrigerator, it would INCREASE the cost. What do you people think
it costs to run a modern refrigerator? They draw 90 watts, and that's
only when the compressor is running which is a fraction of the time!
They cost less than $100 a year to run. How much is the added cost
of a split system, running pipes, electric, all that BS going to add?
And in winter, the fridge energy is adding a small amount to help heat
the house too. Amazing how people can go fixing problems that don't
exist even after all the above has been covered in this thread many
times.

The worst thing about refridgerators in the USA is the Energy Star group pressuring folks to
ditch their old, inefficient units and buy new ones... every week or so, apparently.

What pressure? Are they putting a gun to your head? I do see utilities
occasionally offering some rebate incentives if you want to take advantage
of them.

And they
are quick to destroy the old units, effectively eliminating the used appliance market, and
forcing even the poorest folks to buy new.

--
croy

Plenty of used appliances of all kinds, including refrigerators at the
local used appliance stores here.

Refrigerators that stop working when it's cold? William R. Walsh[_2_] Electronics Repair 10 December 13th 09 08:58 AM
Freezers / F.Freezers - mine just died - any recomendations? tester UK diy 14 December 13th 06 05:43 PM
Q: Fridges & freezers Flynn UK diy 1 November 2nd 06 10:43 AM
Freezers: keep warm or keep cold? John UK diy 17 September 5th 06 01:35 PM