Posted to alt.home.repair
Malcom Mal Reynolds Malcom Mal Reynolds is offline

Default Why aren't refrigerators & freezers designed to benefit from outside cold air?

In article ,
trader_4 wrote:

On Sunday, September 6, 2015 at 3:10:15 PM UTC-4, Malcom Mal Reynolds wrote:
In article ,
trader_4 wrote:

On Saturday, September 5, 2015 at 8:55:12 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 9/5/2015 8:32 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Saturday, September 5, 2015 at 7:39:09 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon
wrote:
I got a call one time from a fellow who owned an old
age home with kitchen. He asked if I might take the
condensing unit off top of the fridge (in the
ceiling heat) and put it in the cellar where it's
cool. I was pleased to do that, and he was pleased
with the lower energy bills.

How could he possibly see a difference in an electric
bill for an old age home due to where the condensing
unit was located or even if there was a fridge at all?
Unless it was metered separately, it would be lost in
the noise.

Lower ambient temp means the unit works less.

That isn't the issue. I agree that with lower ambient temp
it's going to use less energy. The issue is how the operator
would see that difference in an electric bill for an old age
home. Presumably there are a lot of other loads, the bill is
likely substantial and the small difference would be lost in the
noise.

Also, it's a different situation from a home. In a commercial
kitchen getting rid of excess heat is likely a good thing all
the time, because the kitchens get uncomfortably hot. In a house,
for about 6 months of the year, the heat from a fridge is essentially
free heat to help heat the house and if you get rid of it outdoors,
it's lost.
to waste.

and for about 6 months of the year the waste heat is an additional load
on your cooling system

Wrong again, at least for much of the USA. Here, I need heat about
6 months of the year. Another 3 months, ie part of spring and fall,
I have windows open and/or don't need any heating or cooling. It's
only about 3 months where I need cooling. And as previously posted,
the heat gain in those 6 cold months is a direct positive. If the fridge
electric usage is $45 over that period, it's like getting $45 of free
electric resistance heat.

of course with a COP of 3 you could get about $135 worth of heat from
the heat pump during the winter

Over the 3 summer AC months, the fridge
puts out about $22 worth of heat. But because the AC has a COP of
about 3, it only cost $7 to remove it. $45 - $7, is a net gain of $38.

sure, but the fact that the AC has to remove the heat of the fridge may
indicate that had that heat not been in the house in the first place,
you might not have had to run the AC at all, which would be a net gain
of ?