Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Why aren't refrigerators & freezers designed to benefit fromoutside cold air?

On Friday, September 4, 2015 at 11:15:58 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Thu, 3 Sep 2015 23:42:21 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I know this is a bit late to reply to this one, but the answer is simple: "It's because the destructive, unsustainable energy we consume is ridiculously & artificially cheap"

I guess you didn't study thermodynamics in school.
In the winter, the fridge is a heat pump, assisting your furnace in
keeping your house warm. It takes the heat from things you put in
there and returns it to the house. At that point the only "waste" is
from the time that you have the door open.
If you heat exchanged it with cooler outside air, you are throwing
that heat away.
The only time it really hurts you is in the summer when you are paying
for air conditioning but that is true of everything electrical and any
fossil fuel appliances you have, minus what goes up the flue,
particularly if you do not have fresh air for combustion.

Of course hippies don't study thermodynamics or much other science
for that matter. They just smoke pot, hug trees and have beliefs.