Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Global Warming My Frozen Butt!

AZ Nomad wrote:
On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 15:03:25 -0600, Doug Brown wrote:
"Gary H" wrote in message
On Tue, 05 Jan 2010 07:23:19 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

This is supposed to be "The South", it's 15? F at 7:00 am
in Birmingham, AL. There are some valleys in the area that
I know are a lot colder. Darn Canadian imports, y'all just
had to stick that cold tongue out at us. I've heard it called
The Alberta Express. BRRRRRRRR!

TDD
In northeast Texas, Thursday's forecast has a low of 14. According to
an article in the local paper, it's a lot warmer in Antarctica.

In Regina Saskatchewan this morning it was minus 38 celsius which is about
40 below F. With the wind chill it was about -44.

a heatwave!

Those darn Canucks, they come down here in the winter and run around
half nekid when it's 32°F outside!

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

This is supposed to be "The South", it's 15? F at 7:00 am
in Birmingham, AL. There are some valleys in the area that
I know are a lot colder. Darn Canadian imports, y'all just
had to stick that cold tongue out at us. I've heard it called
The Alberta Express. BRRRRRRRR!

TDD
In northeast Texas, Thursday's forecast has a low of 14. According to
an article in the local paper, it's a lot warmer in Antarctica.

In Regina Saskatchewan this morning it was minus 38 celsius which is about
40 below F. With the wind chill it was about -44.

a heatwave!

Those darn Canucks, they come down here in the winter and run around
half nekid when it's 32?F outside!

TDD

What does an alaskan do when it's 50 below?
Closes the bathroom window.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Some Canadians were chatting around the camp fire. None
could hear the other. They finally give up, and went to bed.
In the spring, when the weather warmed up, the conversation
thawed, and could be heard.

Got to rewarm them farts slowly, or they will make you go
deaf.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas" wrote
in message ...

What does an alaskan do when it's 50 below?
Closes the bathroom window.

Does that keep farts from freezing?

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 7, 7:11*am, N8N wrote:
On Jan 6, 11:50*am, Tony wrote:

The Daring Dufas wrote:
Darn those pesky rich Republicans, how
dare they enjoy the fruits of their labor when Democrats who produce
nothing and don't work hard or strive to improve themselves go without
fancy clothes, homes and cars.

What is really sad is when one believes fancy clothes, homes, and cars
improve a person.

Fancy, no. *Practical and functional, yes. *And tools. *Lots and lots
of tools, preferably old and high quality.

nate

And don't forget 'high power'

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:
This is supposed to be "The South", it's 15° F at 7:00 am
in Birmingham, AL. There are some valleys in the area that
I know are a lot colder. Darn Canadian imports, y'all just
had to stick that cold tongue out at us. I've heard it called
The Alberta Express. BRRRRRRRR!

TDD

Darn it! It's 15°F again at 7:00am and it's making it hard to
work because this "Climate Change" is making all my joints and
every other old injury hurt like a futher mucker. It's messing
with my circulation and I don't like it! I even have to be extra
careful when I fuel up the van because of the static electricity.
GERRRRRRR! , BURRRRRRR! , Shiver!, Creak! and Bitch a lot!

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Master Betty" wrote in
:

"dpb" wrote in message
Master Betty wrote:

It's good to hear other places are doing better.

If it would of have rained more we would of got a break, but Central
TX is having a bad drought, and hot weather. Brushfires scare me.

Again, too short a time span to tell much, if anything. And, w/
records as short as those like here, it's not even possible to say
that what you're experiencing is anything particularly out of the
ordinary. What seems long in an individual's experience isn't a
microsecond in geologic terms. The native Americans told the early
settlers here the good times of the early 1900s wouldn't last because
they had legend and oral history that went back hundreds of years not
just the lifetimes of the current elders.

IOW, "this, too, shall pass"...

As for the grassfires, we worry all the time over that for sure.
But, again, one has to look at it in perspective. They're only a
serious problem because there are now permanent residents and
structures where before there were nomads and other wildlife.

I don't know precisely the estimated times there but here generally
any givem area could have expected to have burned about every 5-7
years. I doubt it was too much greater for a lot of that country
down there altho probably fires didn't cover as extensive an area
owing to more natural barriers and that thunderstorms there generally
do have sufficient rain w/ them to put out fires after a while
whereas we have a lot of dry t-storms.

Since the house sits in the middle of several miles of grass in all
directions w/ only a road on one side of the place closer than a full
mile, we keep close eye out when it gets dry.

--

I'm surrounded by green belt here in Austin. Damn trees!

There are accurate detailed records in polar ice caps (co2
concentrations, temperature, precipitation, volcanic activity) and
ancient tree rings.

and
ancient tree rings.

I'm starting to get those myself...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ahoy matey. Shiver me timbers.

Man, up north here in NY state, it's been some kind of
serious cold, also.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas" wrote
in message ...

Darn it! It's 15°F again at 7:00am and it's making it hard
work because this "Climate Change" is making all my joints
and
every other old injury hurt like a futher mucker. It's
messing
with my circulation and I don't like it! I even have to be
extra
careful when I fuel up the van because of the static
electricity.
GERRRRRRR! , BURRRRRRR! , Shiver!, Creak! and Bitch a lot!

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Heck, that's account of you havn't been burnt down, and
reseeded. Report to your local ecologist in the morning.
Tell him you want to be burnt down and reseeded.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Red Green" wrote in message

and
ancient tree rings.

I'm starting to get those myself...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Ahoy matey. Shiver me timbers.

Man, up north here in NY state, it's been some kind of
serious cold, also.

Good grief! We're just not used to it being so cold for
so long here in "The South". Our poor cousins down Florida
way are really having a hard time with farms for tropical
plants and animals. Conservation groups are picking up sea
turtles that wash up on the beach because they are paralyzed
by the cold. The unfortunate turtles are helpless and are
brought inside where it's warm so they can recover. The folks
who raise tropical fish have or are afraid of losing their
stock. Of course freezing weather is always bad for citrus
crops. Darn you Global Warming and you climate huggers.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 18:25:35 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Ahoy matey. Shiver me timbers.

Man, up north here in NY state, it's been some kind of
serious cold, also.

Good grief! We're just not used to it being so cold for
so long here in "The South". Our poor cousins down Florida
way are really having a hard time with farms for tropical
plants and animals. Conservation groups are picking up sea
turtles that wash up on the beach because they are paralyzed
by the cold. The unfortunate turtles are helpless and are
brought inside where it's warm so they can recover. The folks
who raise tropical fish have or are afraid of losing their
stock. Of course freezing weather is always bad for citrus
crops. Darn you Global Warming and you climate huggers.

TDD

There is some good news. The Cottonmouth Water Moccasin being cold
blooded is less likely to bite you! The Black Bass (large mouth) are
the same. You have to hit them in the head, just to get a bite on the
fishing lure. BTDT in both instances.

Expect the prices for the gladiolus flowers to go way up.

News said Yankees were still having beach weddings, though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Oren wrote:

News said Yankees were still having beach weddings, though.

My favorite was the Miami Polar Bears club. The water was something
like 40 degrees higher than ambient.

--
To find that place where the rats don't race
and the phones don't ring at all.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 07:01:29 -0500, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

In article ,
Oren wrote:

News said Yankees were still having beach weddings, though.

My favorite was the Miami Polar Bears club. The water was something
like 40 degrees higher than ambient.

Yeah- those pussies. Same thing happens in Lake George, NY. I've
seen the little weenies run through 0F air to get to that balmy 36F
water. [personally I prefer to get into 101degree water no matter
what the ambient is.]

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

My favorite was the Miami Polar Bears club. The water was something
like 40 degrees higher than ambient.

Yeah- those pussies. Same thing happens in Lake George, NY. I've
seen the little weenies run through 0F air to get to that balmy 36F
water. [personally I prefer to get into 101degree water no matter
what the ambient is.]

Jim

The water was at 73 that day according to the News Types.

--
To find that place where the rats don't race
and the phones don't ring at all.
If once, you've slept on an island.
Scott Kirby "If once you've slept on an island"

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wouldnt it be funny if for some wierd reason global warming melts all
the glaciers while it freezes otherwise temperate areas in the winter?

the glaciers melt ocean levels rise a lot.

and winters are horrible, while summers get broiling hot?

remember naysayers said the earth would compensate......... maybe this
is compensation gone bad?
Posted to alt.home.repair
dgk dgk is offline

wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Ahoy matey. Shiver me timbers.

Man, up north here in NY state, it's been some kind of
serious cold, also.

Good grief! We're just not used to it being so cold for
so long here in "The South". Our poor cousins down Florida
way are really having a hard time with farms for tropical
plants and animals. Conservation groups are picking up sea
turtles that wash up on the beach because they are paralyzed
by the cold. The unfortunate turtles are helpless and are
brought inside where it's warm so they can recover. The folks
who raise tropical fish have or are afraid of losing their
stock. Of course freezing weather is always bad for citrus
crops. Darn you Global Warming and you climate huggers.

TDD

I think we all learned that heat is energy. More heat in the climate
system means more energy which means more activity. That means more
extreme events - bigger storms, colder colds, hotter hots. That really
shouldn't be tough for a home repair group to understand, right?

You can argue that human activities aren't causing global warming but
it's pretty clear to most scientists that the earth IS warming. I also
don't see how people can look at what we've done to the earth and
decide that it couldn't change the climate.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

decide that it couldn't change the climate.- Hide quoted text -

It boggles the mind that the deniers can look at what is happening at
the poles and glaciers world wide and still say there is no global
warming. When Glacier National Park once again _has_ glaciers (it
still does have some remnants of them), I will start considering their
moronic posts.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

Well Harry, when was your last trip to the polar regions? *snicker*

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 05 Jan 2010 07:23:19 -0600, The Daring Dufas wrote:
This is supposed to be "The South", it's 15? F at 7:00 am
in Birmingham, AL. There are some valleys in the area that
I know are a lot colder. Darn Canadian imports, y'all just
had to stick that cold tongue out at us. I've heard it called
The Alberta Express. BRRRRRRRR!

Climate change != seasonal weather.
Posted to alt.home.repair

If this global warming continues, we may never seen 101
degree water again, except in the Presidential suite, and Al
Gore's mansion.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message

water. [personally I prefer to get into 101degree water no
matter
what the ambient is.]

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

My information is that the Earth is cooling. Heard it on
Rush Limbaugh.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"dgk" wrote in message

I think we all learned that heat is energy. More heat in the
climate
system means more energy which means more activity. That
means more
extreme events - bigger storms, colder colds, hotter hots.
That really
shouldn't be tough for a home repair group to understand,
right?

You can argue that human activities aren't causing global
warming but
it's pretty clear to most scientists that the earth IS
warming. I also
don't see how people can look at what we've done to the
earth and
decide that it couldn't change the climate.

Posted to alt.home.repair

It boggles the mind that so many people think that aerosol
cans, air conditioners, and buring carbon has world wide
catastrophic effect on the planet. When people learn a bit
of humility, I will start considering their moronic posts.
Mankind doesn't control the planet.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Harry K" wrote in message

It boggles the mind that the deniers can look at what is
happening at
the poles and glaciers world wide and still say there is no
global
warming. When Glacier National Park once again _has_
glaciers (it
still does have some remnants of them), I will start
considering their
moronic posts.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

I think he took the Al Gore tour.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas" wrote
in message ...
Harry K wrote:

still does have some remnants of them), I will start
considering their
moronic posts.

Harry K

Well Harry, when was your last trip to the polar regions?
*snicker*

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

AZ Nomad wrote:
On Tue, 05 Jan 2010 07:23:19 -0600, The Daring Dufas wrote:
This is supposed to be "The South", it's 15? F at 7:00 am
in Birmingham, AL. There are some valleys in the area that
I know are a lot colder. Darn Canadian imports, y'all just
had to stick that cold tongue out at us. I've heard it called
The Alberta Express. BRRRRRRRR!

Climate change != seasonal weather.

OTOH,

integral of seasonal weather -- climate

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
My information is that the Earth is cooling. Heard it on
Rush Limbaugh.

No; on the Grape Vine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
It boggles the mind that so many people think that aerosol
cans, air conditioners, and buring carbon has world wide
catastrophic effect on the planet. When people learn a bit
of humility, I will start considering their moronic posts.
Mankind doesn't control the planet.

I get really frustrated when my wife, (and kids) use those products. None of
us need them and they sure do not benefit the planet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

Most storm systems rely mainly on temperature difference between warm
areas and cold areas. So do heat engines.

Global warming is expected to warm the Arctic more than the tropics.
This would decrease the intensity of large extratropical storms. The most
intense major extratropical storm that I am aware of, at least in the
United States as measured by barometric pressure, occurred in late January
1978, around the 25th.

Hurricanes, which depend on difference between water temperature and
temperature in the upper troposphere, would intensify - but only
accordingly with how much the tropics warm.

- Don Klipstein )
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 12, 8:51*am, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

TDD- Hide quoted text -

1955/56 stationed on St Lawrence Isle. Why? Granted that is not quite
the "polar regions" When was yours? Do you think that in order to
know about a region one has to go there? Something wrong with books?
The internet? Schools? Science areticles? Magazines?

Never underestimate the stupidity of a kook.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

.

"Harry K" wrote in message

It boggles the mind that the deniers can look at what is
happening at
the poles and glaciers world wide and still say there is no
global
warming. *When Glacier National Park once again _has_
glaciers (it
still does have some remnants of them), I will start
considering their
moronic posts.

Harry K

Which has just _what_ to do with my comment? Did I say _anything
about those things, about AGW? Unable to read for comprehension are
you?

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

That's why I asked, I've never been there but I spent some time in
the central equatorial Pacific when a once in a hundred year storm
hit and hurricanes were munching on Eastern Mexico and it snowed in
Los Angeles. All odd weather occurring within a 12 month period. It
followed me around, it seemed like everywhere I went, strange things
were happening to the atmosphere. Darn, I better call Art Bell's
replacement and let him know. *snicker*

Oh yea, "Internet" is capitalized but you can call it the "interweb"
and I hope you meant to write "science articles". Don't worry, premature
postification happens to all men sooner or later. ROTFLMAO

TDD

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

This is supposed to be "The South", it's 15° F at 7:00 am
in Birmingham, AL. There are some valleys in the area that
I know are a lot colder.Darn Canadian imports, y'all just
had to stick that cold tongue out at us. I've heard it called
The Alberta Express. BRRRRRRRR!

TDD

Don't blame Canada... it was over 56.3°F here (west coast of British
Columbia) last night at 1 am. Broke the previous high temperature record
(of 53.6°F) before the sun even came up.

You should be blaming Alaska!

Posted to alt.home.repair

(Malcolm Hoar) wrote:

In article , Harry K wrote:

It boggles the mind that the deniers can look at what is happening at
the poles and glaciers world wide and still say there is no global
warming. When Glacier National Park once again _has_ glaciers (it
still does have some remnants of them), I will start considering their
moronic posts.

"According to the US National Snow and Ice Data Centre in Colorado, Arctic
summer sea ice has increased by 409,000 square miles, or 26 per cent, since
2007 – and even the most committed global warming activists do not dispute
this."

409,000 more square miles is a lot of freaking ice. How much do you
need?

Read mo
http://www.dailymail.co.
uk/sciencetech/article-1242011/DAVID-ROSE-The-mini-ice-age-starts-here.
html#ixzz0cSxK68Zt

Good to see you accept the "Snow and Ice Data Center" as a reliable
source.

Here's their article;
http://nsidc.org/news/press/20091005_minimumpr.html
Here's the gist of it in an Oct 6 1909 press release-
"At the end of the Arctic summer, more ice cover remained this year
than during the previous record-setting low years of 2007 and 2008.
However, sea ice has not recovered to previous levels. September sea
ice extent was the third lowest since the start of satellite records
in 1979, and the past five years have seen the five lowest ice extents
in the satellite record."

Here's the graph showing the decline since 1978- and demonstrating
that 2006-7 were *way* below the graph-
http://nsidc.org/images/arcticseaice...05_Figure3.png
[no matter how you try to fudge the numbers- I think you'll have to
admit that there was a decline of well over a million square
kilometers since 1978.]

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ned Flanders wrote:
This is supposed to be "The South", it's 15° F at 7:00 am
in Birmingham, AL. There are some valleys in the area that
I know are a lot colder.Darn Canadian imports, y'all just
had to stick that cold tongue out at us. I've heard it called
The Alberta Express. BRRRRRRRR!

TDD

Don't blame Canada... it was over 56.3°F here (west coast of British
Columbia) last night at 1 am. Broke the previous high temperature record
(of 53.6°F) before the sun even came up.

You should be blaming Alaska!

OK, DARN YOU SARAH PALIN! WHY DID YOU COUNTER ATTACK THOSE PESKY
DEMOCRATS WITH THE WEAPON OF COLD AIR MASS DESTRUCTION?! DID
YOU NOT REALIZE THERE WOULD BE COLLATERAL DAMAGE TO YOUR FELLOW
CONSERVATIVES?!

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair
dgk dgk is offline

On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 13:49:33 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

It boggles the mind that so many people think that aerosol
cans, air conditioners, and buring carbon has world wide
catastrophic effect on the planet. When people learn a bit
of humility, I will start considering their moronic posts.
Mankind doesn't control the planet.

We don't? We control as much of it as we can. We've cut down 95% of
the rainforests. We've decimated animal populations until virtually
none of them live in their historical locales. We're in the process of
emptying the seas of life. We're destroying the coral reefs.

Need go on?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

Looks like another you are another who cannot distingquish between
weather and climate.

Spelling/grammar flames? Can you not get any more juvenile.

BTW find the mispelling in the first sentence. It was deliberate to
keep you amused.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

It boggles the mind that so many people think that aerosol
cans, air conditioners, and buring carbon has world wide
catastrophic effect on the planet. When people learn a bit
of humility, I will start considering their moronic posts.
Mankind doesn't control the planet.

We don't? We control as much of it as we can. We've cut down 95% of
the rainforests. We've decimated animal populations until virtually
none of them live in their historical locales. We're in the process of
emptying the seas of life. We're destroying the coral reefs.

Need go on?

Who is "we"? I haven't cut down the first rainforest, I've never
seen any around here, the same with coral reefs. The last time
there were rainforests and coral reef around here was millions
of years ago. I don't think my Cave Hillbilly ancestors were
around here back then. As far as emptying the seas of life, I
have never caught and eaten THAT much fish. Decimating animal
life? The only animal in jeopardy is the goofy little Chihuahua
sitting in my lap right now because she won't behave.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

I do it all the time, try putting [sic] after a deliberate misspelling.
If you don't, I'll sic Art Bell on you. *snicker*

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Harry K wrote:

You might mention that that ice is "first year ice", there is almost
no "old ice" left up there. In 2008 or 2009 (didn't keep the cite) a
ice breakers made it all the way to the pole.

So one year in which the North Pole is free of ice is evidence in favor of
global warming, but one year (right now) with record-breaking cold weather is
not evidence against it. Riiiiiiiight.

You can't have it both ways: if a short-term condition is not evidence against
global warming, then a different short-term condition is not evidence for it
either.

That has never been possible before.

Cite?

Also 3 common freighters made the trip West to East
across the top of Russia without the aid of ice breakers - again never
been possible before.

Cite? (In both cases, I don't mean cite proof that this happened -- I mean
cite proof that it's never been possible before.)

Your post is just another example of denier dishonesty - not showing
the whole picture.

And your post is just another example of global warming proponents' dishonesty
- puffing up the evidence that supports your position, and discounting or
ignoring the evidence that opposes it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

*snicker*??? And here I thought you couldn't get any more juvenile.
Silly me.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 13, 9:35*am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , Harry K wrote:

You might mention that that ice is "first year ice", there is almost
no "old ice" left up there. *In 2008 or 2009 (didn't keep the cite) a
ice breakers made it all the way to the pole.

So one year in which the North Pole is free of ice is evidence in favor of
global warming, but one year (right now) with record-breaking cold weather is
not evidence against it. Riiiiiiiight.

The eveidence of decreasing ice is not a "one year" thing. I cited
that as proof of the North Polar ice cap thinning and decreasing as
has been proven over at least a couple of decades in spite of all the
denials of the evidence.

You can't have it both ways: if a short-term condition is not evidence against
global warming, then a different short-term condition is not evidence for it
either.

And you totally miss that my cite is not a 'one year thing' but proof
of what has been happening.

That has never been possible before. *

Cite?

Typicl denialist tactic, ask someone to prove a negative. It is you
who have to prove the positive.

Also 3 common freighters made the trip West to East
across the top of Russia without the aid of ice breakers - again never
been possible before.

Cite? (In both cases, I don't mean cite proof that this happened -- I mean
cite proof that it's never been possible before.)

See above and study up on common logic used in debate. It is
impossibel to prove a negative.

Your post is just another example of denier dishonesty - not showing
the whole picture.

And your post is just another example of global warming proponents' dishonesty
- puffing up the evidence that supports your position, and discounting or
ignoring the evidence that opposes it.

So show where I did any 'puffing up' or dishonest citing such as the
denialiest commonly do.

Harry K