Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need help deciding which attic ladder to buy

As the subject states, here are 2 that I saw at the local home
centers:

Werner AL2210 300lb rating $195 at Lowes.
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...=cr&lpage=none

Louisville AA229GS 350lb rating $159 at Home Depot.
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...=cr&lpage=none

The only difference I can tell is the Louisville has higher weight
rating and has foam boards on the panel for better insulation. So why
Lowes is selling the Werner for almost $40 more, I don't know.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mikepier wrote:
As the subject states, here are 2 that I saw at the local home
centers:

Werner AL2210 300lb rating $195 at Lowes.
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...=cr&lpage=none

Louisville AA229GS 350lb rating $159 at Home Depot.
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...=cr&lpage=none

The only difference I can tell is the Louisville has higher weight
rating and has foam boards on the panel for better insulation. So why
Lowes is selling the Werner for almost $40 more, I don't know.

Because they can get it?

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 4 Jan 2010 11:02:05 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Mikepier wrote:
As the subject states, here are 2 that I saw at the local home
centers:

Werner AL2210 300lb rating $195 at Lowes.
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...=cr&lpage=none

Louisville AA229GS 350lb rating $159 at Home Depot.
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...=cr&lpage=none

The only difference I can tell is the Louisville has higher weight

So how fat are you? And what's the heaviest thing you'll ever be able
to carry up the stairs?

rating and has foam boards on the panel for better insulation. So why
Lowes is selling the Werner for almost $40 more, I don't know.

Because they can get it?

Probably exactly right. At a friend's yesterday, he was asking how
they could charge 4 and change for some dip at some store, but 2.75 at
another store. And the hostess said what you did.

Isn't Werner THE name in ladders. Are they any better than
Louisville? It probably refers to Louiville, China. Also proably
Werners, China.

Posted to alt.home.repair

.. Isn't Werner THE name in ladders. *Are they any better than
Louisville? * It probably refers to Louiville, China. Also proably
Werners, China.

Yes it is Werner ladders
http://www.wernerladder.com/

And Louisville ladders
http://louisvilleladder.com/

Both seem pretty reputable.
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Jan 4, 12:16*pm, mm wrote:
On Mon, 4 Jan 2010 11:02:05 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Mikepier wrote:

snip

rating and has foam boards on the panel for better insulation. So why
Lowes is selling the Werner for almost $40 more, I don't know.

Because they can get it?

Probably exactly right. *At a friend's yesterday, he was asking how
they could charge 4 and change for some dip at some store, but 2.75 at
another store. *And the hostess said what you did.

Isn't Werner THE name in ladders. *Are they any better than
Louisville? * It probably refers to Louiville, China. Also proably
Werners, China.

Yeah, I have never heard of Louisville, but I don't pay a whole lot of
attention to ladders either. However Werner's name is all over the
place.

The thing that I found amusing is that I was at the Orange Colored
Store the other day and thought that maybe I would pick up a small
ladder to help me get up into my attic. Turns out that a 6'
stepladder was significantly cheaper than a 4' stepladder, and I
already had a 6' ladder so I just dragged it out of the garage. Was a
little less convenient than using a shorter ladder, but I couldn't see
paying $60 for one. The one that I already had, I could have bought
another one for about $40 IIRC. makes no sense to me.

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair

I bought and installed the Louisville 350lb attic ladder last year. I opted
for the 350lb rating because I thought it would be safer, especially if
someone is carrying something heavy while walking up or down the ladder.

I had to be sure that I accurately measured the height from the floor to the
ceiling to get the right model -- they have the floor-to-ceiling height
range on the box.

It took a lot longer than I expected it to take to install it. Part of the
problem was not having a second person helping me to make adjustments to the
positioning etc. Another problem was making sure it was "square" within the
hatch space so the hatch door would cover correctly.

Mikepier wrote:
As the subject states, here are 2 that I saw at the local home
centers:

Werner AL2210 300lb rating $195 at Lowes.
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...=cr&lpage=none

Louisville AA229GS 350lb rating $159 at Home Depot.
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...=cr&lpage=none

The only difference I can tell is the Louisville has higher weight
rating and has foam boards on the panel for better insulation. So why
Lowes is selling the Werner for almost $40 more, I don't know.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Werner AL2210 *300lb rating $195 at Lowes.http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...ductId=304101-...

Louisville AA229GS 350lb rating $159 at Home Depot.http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...ductId=304101-...

The only difference I can tell is the Louisville has higher weight
rating and has foam boards on the panel for better insulation. So why
Lowes is selling the Werner for almost $40 more, I don't know.

It's not just the weight rating you need to be concerned with, but
also the width.

I would suggest the widest ladder you can get if for nothing more than
the convenience. Carrying boxes and other items up a narrow
"staircase" and into a narrow opening can be a real pain.

Question: How do you adjust for height? I installed a wooden pulldown
many years ago and had to trim the bottom of the steps to allow it to
open all of the way.

How does that work with an aluminum ladder?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mikepier wrote:
As the subject states, here are 2 that I saw at the local home
centers:

Werner AL2210 300lb rating $195 at Lowes.
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...=cr&lpage=none

Louisville AA229GS 350lb rating $159 at Home Depot.
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...=cr&lpage=none

The only difference I can tell is the Louisville has higher weight
rating and has foam boards on the panel for better insulation. So why
Lowes is selling the Werner for almost $40 more, I don't know.

I couldn't tell you about the Louisville one, but I installed a Werner
unit and found it was pretty well designed for one person installation,
letting you mount just a lightweight frame in the opening, then hang the
ladder assembly before alignment and final connections.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 4, 1:25*pm, N8N wrote:
On Jan 4, 12:16*pm, mm wrote:

On Mon, 4 Jan 2010 11:02:05 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Mikepier wrote:

snip

[...]

but I couldn't see paying $60 for one. (a 4' ladder)

A few years back I needed to replace the old 10' ladder that I used to
clean my gutters. Just for fun, I looked on eBay on the slim chance
that somebody in my area was selling one.

I found a "like new" 10' Werner aluminum step ladder for $60 (pick-up
only) from a guy that lived about 350 miles from me. Turns out that
the 350 miles was the same 350 miles I was going to drive to get to my
parent's house in a few weeks for Christmas. The guy lived about 15
miles from my parents!

I contacted him, asked him if he would hold the later for a few weeks
if I paid for it and he said sure.

A few weeks later I strapped the bad boy to the top of my Ram Van and
brought it home.

The guy used it *once* to paint a cathedral ceiling and had no further
use for it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

As the subject states, here are 2 that I saw at the local home
centers:

Werner AL2210 300lb rating $195 at Lowes.
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...=cr&lpage=none

Louisville AA229GS 350lb rating $159 at Home Depot.
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...=cr&lpage=none

The only difference I can tell is the Louisville has higher weight
rating and has foam boards on the panel for better insulation. So why
Lowes is selling the Werner for almost $40 more, I don't know.

*I looked at these types of ladders several years ago. One thing that I
noticed at the time was the size of the steps. Some have 3" and some have
4" wide steps. That may be what the price difference is with the two that
you are looking at. Incidentally the links above are the same. I could not
see the Louisville ladder.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 4 Jan 2010 12:24:24 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Jan 4, 1:25*pm, N8N wrote:
On Jan 4, 12:16*pm, mm wrote:

On Mon, 4 Jan 2010 11:02:05 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Mikepier wrote:

snip

[...]

I think wild ladders are 6 feet and it costs money to shorten them.

[...]

"I love it whan a plan comes together."
Posted to alt.home.repair

*Incidentally the links above are the same. *I could not
see the Louisville ladder.

Sorry, here's the Louisville ladder
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mikepier wrote:
As the subject states, here are 2 that I saw at the local home
centers:

Werner AL2210 300lb rating $195 at Lowes.
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...=cr&lpage=none

Louisville AA229GS 350lb rating $159 at Home Depot.
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...=cr&lpage=none

The only difference I can tell is the Louisville has higher weight
rating and has foam boards on the panel for better insulation. So why
Lowes is selling the Werner for almost $40 more, I don't know.

The Lowes has a slightly wider base at 16" vs 14.75. That may make it
easier to climb. Only one gives the assembled weight so you can't compare
mateiral content easily. I think you'd really have to look at them in
person to see if anything makes a difference.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Knock, knock, knock ...........

Helloooooooooooooooooooooooooooo,oooooooooooooo.oo ooooooooo

(echo)

Is anybody in there?

Go look at the ladders. Compare. Look at thicknesses or materials. Length
of metal bracing. Size and number of springs. Anything else that you can
compare on the two ladders. Methods of attatchment. Paint grade or not?
Wood or MDF (or whatever).

If you need this much help deciding between two ladders just on a comparison
basis, think of the complicated drama of installation.

Really. You have two ladders that you can sit side by side and compare. I
know you want someone to tell you what is best, but I think you can look at
the two and pick the better one. Both companies make quality ladders. I
would say Louisville tends towards products with more wood, and Werner is
more towards fiberglass. Do you want a fold down, or a slide down?

Now, do I use Phillips head screws or Robertson?

You could also ask the geek there, and if you get real lucky, you might just
find someone who actually knows what they're talking about, and they can
help you.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

Question: How do you adjust for height? I installed a wooden pulldown
many years ago and had to trim the bottom of the steps to allow it to
open all of the way.

How does that work with an aluminum ladder?

Same method -- trim the bottom. I used a circular saw with a metal cutting
blade. I probably could just as easily used a hack saw. It was a little
tricky (for me) figuirng the length and the angle for the cut. I cut it a
little long for the first try, just to get it close. Then, I made the final
cut so it would stay fully straightened and flat on the floor at the bottom.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 4 Jan 2010 08:43:24 -0800 (PST), Mikepier
wrote:

As the subject states, here are 2 that I saw at the local home
centers:

Werner AL2210 300lb rating $195 at Lowes.
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...=cr&lpage=none

Louisville AA229GS 350lb rating $159 at Home Depot.
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...=cr&lpage=none

The only difference I can tell is the Louisville has higher weight
rating and has foam boards on the panel for better insulation. So why
Lowes is selling the Werner for almost $40 more, I don't know.

Both are good brands, but inspect your ladder carefully, preferably
before you buy.