Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Need help deciding which attic ladder to buy

Jay-T wrote:

I bought and installed the Louisville 350lb attic ladder last year. I opted
for the 350lb rating because I thought it would be safer, especially if
someone is carrying something heavy while walking up or down the ladder.

I had to be sure that I accurately measured the height from the floor to the
ceiling to get the right model -- they have the floor-to-ceiling height
range on the box.

It took a lot longer than I expected it to take to install it. Part of the
problem was not having a second person helping me to make adjustments to the
positioning etc. Another problem was making sure it was "square" within the
hatch space so the hatch door would cover correctly.

Mikepier wrote:
As the subject states, here are 2 that I saw at the local home
centers:

Werner AL2210 300lb rating $195 at Lowes.
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...=cr&lpage=none

Louisville AA229GS 350lb rating $159 at Home Depot.
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...=cr&lpage=none

The only difference I can tell is the Louisville has higher weight
rating and has foam boards on the panel for better insulation. So why
Lowes is selling the Werner for almost $40 more, I don't know.

I couldn't tell you about the Louisville one, but I installed a Werner
unit and found it was pretty well designed for one person installation,
letting you mount just a lightweight frame in the opening, then hang the
ladder assembly before alignment and final connections.