Old December 28th 09, 06:24 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Where to store left over bricks

On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 18:31:38 -0600, AZ Nomad
wrote:

On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 17:39:06 -0500, benick wrote:

"AZ Nomad" wrote in message
On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 16:43:08 -0500, benick wrote:

"ransley" wrote in message
On Dec 26, 6:36 pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 12/26/2009 4:19 PM dalemstevens spake thus:

My dad has a 25 year old home for which he has saved some 250 brick
from the original construction. He wants to get rid of them after all
this time to make room for whatever. I think it is a shame to haul
them off to the landfill when as soon as he does so something for some
reason or another will come up where they are needed (I know it is a
stretch, but for example a couple of years ago a car ran off the road
and into a home...you guessed it, the new bricks used to fix the hole
did not match too well). If he could figure out where to store them
without them being in the way too much they would stay. What could be
done with them?

Well, if it hasn't already occurred to you, the bricks could be stored
perfectly well outside without worrying about damage. You could pave an
area, or just stack them behind, under or around something. When it
comes time to use them, just wash them off and you're good to go.

--
I am a Canadian who was born and raised in The Netherlands. I live on
Planet Earth on a spot of land called Canada. We have noisy neighbours.

- harvested from Usenet

Untrue, they will deteriorate from being water soaked and freezing,
some go in 5 years, some last 50 but most all will be weakened. As far

What process, pray tell, deteriorates unassembled bricks as opposed to
assembled brick walls?

Not that I'm an expert but a quick Bing search got this...HTH...

PROTECTION

Storage of Materials

The manner in which materials are stored at the construction site may have
an influence on their future performance. Materials should be stored to
avoid wetting by rain or snow, and also avoid contamination by salts or
other matter which may contribute to efflorescence and staining.

Not all materials are equal. No mention of bricks, I can't assume that
your cite has the slightest bearing on storing bricks.

The reference to Efflorescence perhaps?
Peculiar to masonry products

Old December 28th 09, 07:11 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"ransley" wrote in message
[...]

Source...gobrick.com Tecnical
Notes....http://www.gobrick.com/BIA/technotes/t21c.htm

Next time, please leave a blank space before and after a url. That
way it will be noticable -- I didn't see it either -- it will show up
as a link in people's newsreaders, it will be a different color, and
it will be clickable, like this

Notes.... http://www.gobrick.com/BIA/technotes/t21c.htm

But while you say "Try READING the link" you should try reading his
post. It's all of 13 words and it asks about why unassembled bricks
would deteriorate differerntly from assembeld bricks. Your link
doesn't address that.

True it doesn't go into *why* just that you shouldn't store them outside on
the ground uncovered which was the point of the thread....Same for an
unfinished wall if you read down the page on the link..
Protection of Walls

Rain. Masonry walls exposed to weather and unprotected during construction
can become so saturated with water that they may require weeks, or even
months (depending upon climatic conditions), to dry out. This prolonged
saturation may cause many of the slightly soluble salts to go into solution,
thus raising the possibility of efflorescence. Such conditions may also
contribute to the contamination of the masonry with soluble salts from
elsewhere in the construction (concrete, concrete block, plaster, trim,
etc.).

During construction, all walls should be kept dry by covering the top of the
wall with a strong, water-resistant membrane at the end of each day or
shutdown period. The covering should overhang the wall by at least 24 in.
(610 mm) on each side, and should be secured against wind. The covering
should remain in place until the top of the cavity wall is completed or
protected by adjacent materials.

Freezing. Leaky walls can sometimes be attributed to the freezing of mortar
before it has set, or the lack of protection of materials and walls during
cold weather construction. Therefore, when building in cold weather, all
materials and walls should be properly protected against freezing. This
involves the following items: storing of materials, preparation of mortar,
heating of masonry units, laying precautions, and protection of work.
Technical Notes 1 Series, "Cold Weather Masonry Construction," contains
recommendations for construction and protection of masonry during freezing
weather. ACI-ASCE 530.1 Specifications for Masonry Structures also has
requirements for cold weather construction..

After the wall is done and a sealent applied it is fine ?? I was told by the
mason who topped off my chimney to seal it....Perhaps somebody else will
chime in as to why....Thanks for the tip on links...

http://www.gobrick.com/BIA/technotes/t21c.htm

Just practicing...LOL..

Old December 28th 09, 02:16 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

What process, pray tell, deteriorates unassembled bricks as opposed
to assembled brick walls?

Not that I'm an expert but a quick Bing search got this...HTH...

PROTECTION

Storage of Materials

The manner in which materials are stored at the construction site
may have an influence on their future performance. Materials should
be stored to avoid wetting by rain or snow, and also avoid
contamination by salts or other matter which may contribute to
efflorescence and staining.

Not all materials are equal. No mention of bricks, I can't assume
that your cite has the slightest bearing on storing bricks.

The "gobrick" in the URL (http://www.gobrick.com/BIA/technotes/t21c.htm)
didn't give you a clue?

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Old December 28th 09, 02:28 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

What process, pray tell, deteriorates unassembled bricks as opposed
to assembled brick walls?

Not that I'm an expert but a quick Bing search got this...HTH...

PROTECTION

Storage of Materials

The manner in which materials are stored at the construction site
may have an influence on their future performance. Materials should
be stored to avoid wetting by rain or snow, and also avoid
contamination by salts or other matter which may contribute to
efflorescence and staining.

Not all materials are equal. No mention of bricks, I can't assume
that your cite has the slightest bearing on storing bricks.

The "gobrick" in the URL (http://www.gobrick.com/BIA/technotes/t21c.htm)
didn't give you a clue?

I didn't bother with the usl. I had made the silly assumption that
the poster had quoted relevent material.
Old December 28th 09, 07:39 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 27, 7:03*pm, TD wrote:
"ransley" wrote in message
.
[...]

The frenchies in quebec cause quite a stir.

- harvested from Usenet- Hide quoted text -

"The frenchies in quebec cause quite a stir. "

OK, since I've scored a hat-trick here, I'll tell my story:

1 - My grandfather was French - Canadian
2 - My grandfather was a mason
3 - My grandfather built entire houses from used brick.

My grandfather was a mason in Massachusetts where he helped build the
huge brick paper factories in Holyoke.

Back in those days, left over bricks and bricks from demolitions were
either free or pennies per hundred.

2 of the houses that he lived in were built from brick that he scarfed
up from construction and/or demolition sites.

Old January 10th 19, 06:14 PM posted to alt.home.repair

replying to AZ Nomad, percentjuice wrote:
https://youtu.be/I6Nd08iKW5o

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ks-414901-.htm

Old January 10th 19, 06:27 PM posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 10 Jan 2019 17:14:06 GMT, percentjuice
m wrote:

replying to AZ Nomad, percentjuice wrote:
https://youtu.be/I6Nd08iKW5o

I haven't looked at this, but my grandparents had a pile of what I guess
were leftover bricks that was 25 feet wide and from zero to 6 feet high.
I used to climb on them when I was 6 years old and I think they were
still there when I was 50.

Also, the new owners found in the basement a target range. Half of the
basement was full height and half just a crawl space, with the targets
at the far end of that. I don't think my grand parents had a gun, or
knew about the target range, so it was the peopele who owned it before
they did, before 1950.
--
Micky

https://youtu.be/CDjT1fhrs-A
Old January 11th 19, 05:07 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/10/2019 10:27 AM, micky wrote:
I haven't looked at this, but my grandparents had a pile of what I guess
were leftover bricks that was 25 feet wide and from zero to 6 feet high.
I used to climb on them when I was 6 years old and I think they were
still there when I was 50.

In some places they would have disappeared. Distressed bricks are worth
good money in the yuppie market.

How old are these bricks? Bitstreams UK diy 9 October 27th 07 01:16 AM
Where to buy air bricks? dog-man UK diy 7 September 4th 06 05:21 AM
How to cut bricks? Walter R. Home Repair 6 July 13th 06 05:26 AM
bricks [email protected] UK diy 10 April 6th 05 07:05 AM
Air bricks John Miller UK diy 8 October 23rd 04 01:40 AM