Default bricks

Hi, I'm building a retaining wall in my garden and I've seen these
bricks on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=5966785622

I was wondering if anyone here had any comment about the white marks on
the bricks. Is this effloresence? Do all bricks do this or is this a
sign that these are not of low salt content thus I would need to use
sulphate resisting cement? Does the white go away once washed off?

My other easiest option is just going to my local wickes but I'm not
really sure of the rating of their bricks either other than they say
they come with a "frost guarantee".

Am I worrying too much?

The Natural Philosopher

Hi, I'm building a retaining wall in my garden and I've seen these
bricks on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=5966785622

I was wondering if anyone here had any comment about the white marks on
the bricks. Is this effloresence? Do all bricks do this or is this a
sign that these are not of low salt content thus I would need to use
sulphate resisting cement? Does the white go away once washed off?

Just leace it for a year. It washes off.

Its a sign thet the bricks are wet and porous: Salts leach out of the
cement and migrate by osmosis to the surface of the brickwork

Eventually the rain will wash them off, or of an instant result is
needed use brick acid.

My other easiest option is just going to my local wickes but I'm not
really sure of the rating of their bricks either other than they say
they come with a "frost guarantee".

Frost guarantee generally means they are of sufficielntly low porosity
not to retain mositure in the surface layer, where it can freeze and
lead to surface flaking.

Thse will be better at efflorecsence, but probably still shhow it.
Frankly, with todays climate, I would not worry.

I had my new chimneys covered in it. Two years latyer no sign is left.

Am I worrying too much?

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Its a sign thet the bricks are wet and porous: Salts leach out of the

cement and migrate by osmosis to the surface of the brickwork

These (the ones on ebay) are allegedly engineering bricks and haven't
been layed but in any case I doubt the latter part is true. AIUI the
salt is in the bricks themselves.

Mary Fisher

wrote in message
oups.com...

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Its a sign thet the bricks are wet and porous: Salts leach out of the

cement and migrate by osmosis to the surface of the brickwork

These (the ones on ebay) are allegedly engineering bricks and haven't
been layed but in any case I doubt the latter part is true. AIUI the
salt is in the bricks themselves.

It is but I'm surprised it's on engineering bricks.

Mind you, I'm not an expert on bricks except that as a child we loved
licking off the efflorescence from bricks on the lavatory yard wall. There
was no dpc and a garden behind so the white stuff wasn't just at a low level
and our little tongues could reach it easily.

I occasionally still have a taste when I see it and don't have to bend down
(ouch!).

Mary

Mary Fisher wrote:
Mind you, I'm not an expert on bricks except that as a child we loved

licking off the efflorescence from bricks on the lavatory yard wall.

There
was no dpc and a garden behind so the white stuff wasn't just at a

low level
and our little tongues could reach it easily.

I occasionally still have a taste when I see it and don't have to

bend down
(ouch!).

Mary

Hopefully above p!ss height too!

Jeff

wrote in message
oups.com...

Mary Fisher wrote:
Mind you, I'm not an expert on bricks except that as a child we loved

licking off the efflorescence from bricks on the lavatory yard wall.

There
was no dpc and a garden behind so the white stuff wasn't just at a

low level
and our little tongues could reach it easily.

I occasionally still have a taste when I see it and don't have to

bend down
(ouch!).

Mary

Hopefully above p!ss height too!

Best laugh I've had for a while :-)
I was going to ask what it tasted of as well

Regards Jeff

Mary Fisher

"Jeff" wrote in message
.. .

Mary Fisher wrote:
Mind you, I'm not an expert on bricks except that as a child we loved

licking off the efflorescence from bricks on the lavatory yard wall.

There
was no dpc and a garden behind so the white stuff wasn't just at a

low level
and our little tongues could reach it easily.

I occasionally still have a taste when I see it and don't have to

bend down
(ouch!).

Mary

Hopefully above p!ss height too!

Best laugh I've had for a while :-)
I was going to ask what it tasted of as well

Well, since I've never tasted p*ss I can't compare.But if mine tasted like
the efflorescenceI think I'd be worried.

Efflorescence tastes sharp, acidic. Makes the salivary glands work. Remember
Fenning's Fever Cure? No, probably not. That was 3% nitric acid and I loved
it. I also like very dilute hydrochloric acid. Sulphuric never did anything
for me. Oxalic's not too bad ... carbolic's tame.

Mary

Regards Jeff

Dave Stanton

I was wondering if anyone here had any comment about the white marks on
the bricks. Is this effloresence? Do all bricks do this or is this a
sign that these are not of low salt content thus I would need to use
sulphate resisting cement? Does the white go away once washed off?

Its not salt as you think of it, but salts ie chemical compounds formed
from the reaction of acids and alkalis.

DAve

again
in the future!!