Old December 27th 09, 12:19 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Where to store left over bricks

My dad has a 25 year old home for which he has saved some 250 brick
from the original construction. He wants to get rid of them after all
this time to make room for whatever. I think it is a shame to haul
them off to the landfill when as soon as he does so something for some
reason or another will come up where they are needed (I know it is a
stretch, but for example a couple of years ago a car ran off the road
and into a home...you guessed it, the new bricks used to fix the hole
did not match too well). If he could figure out where to store them
without them being in the way too much they would stay. What could be
done with them?

Old December 27th 09, 12:36 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/26/2009 4:19 PM dalemstevens spake thus:

My dad has a 25 year old home for which he has saved some 250 brick
from the original construction. He wants to get rid of them after all
this time to make room for whatever. I think it is a shame to haul
them off to the landfill when as soon as he does so something for some
reason or another will come up where they are needed (I know it is a
stretch, but for example a couple of years ago a car ran off the road
and into a home...you guessed it, the new bricks used to fix the hole
did not match too well). If he could figure out where to store them
without them being in the way too much they would stay. What could be
done with them?

Well, if it hasn't already occurred to you, the bricks could be stored
perfectly well outside without worrying about damage. You could pave an
area, or just stack them behind, under or around something. When it
comes time to use them, just wash them off and you're good to go.

--
I am a Canadian who was born and raised in The Netherlands. I live on
Planet Earth on a spot of land called Canada. We have noisy neighbours.

- harvested from Usenet
Old December 27th 09, 12:50 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 26, 6:19*pm, dalemstevens wrote:
My dad has a 25 year old home for which he has saved some 250 brick
from the original construction. *He wants to get rid of them after all
this time to make room for whatever. *I think it is a shame to haul
them off to the landfill when as soon as he does so something for some
reason or another will come up where they are needed (I know it is a
stretch, but for example a couple of years ago a car ran off the road
and into a home...you guessed it, the new bricks used to fix the hole
did not match too well). *If he could figure out where to store them
without them being in the way too much they would stay. *What could be
done with them?

Oh, definitely hold on to them. You are quite right, as soon as they
are gone you will need them. Say, water gets behind a wall, freezes,
and cracks a few. Or ivy peels the face off a couple dozen. Or he or
the next owner wants to change a window, or redo a failed chimney
stack. Basement or crawlspace available? One annoying day getting
them down there, and then forget about them till needed. Probably no
more time than hauling them to the landfill, unless he has a truck.
Stacked flat 7 or 8 high along one wall, like in the furnace room,
they will not take up much usable footprint. If he has storage shelves
in basement, they can go behind and under the bottom shelf. If he has
the space, dry-stack them carefully interlaced into a couple
pedestals, throw a solid door over the top, and use as a workbench.
Always a good idea to keep some spares on hand for stuff like that.
(oddball trim, wierd electrical plates, ceramic tile, kitchen drawer
pulls, etc.)

If his heart is set on getting rid of them, at least donate them to
Habitat ReStore or something.

--
aem sends....
Old December 27th 09, 12:54 AM posted to alt.home.repair

In article m, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 12/26/2009 4:19 PM dalemstevens spake thus:

My dad has a 25 year old home for which he has saved some 250 brick
from the original construction. He wants to get rid of them after all
this time to make room for whatever. I think it is a shame to haul
them off to the landfill when as soon as he does so something for some
reason or another will come up where they are needed (I know it is a
stretch, but for example a couple of years ago a car ran off the road
and into a home...you guessed it, the new bricks used to fix the hole
did not match too well). If he could figure out where to store them
without them being in the way too much they would stay. What could be
done with them?

Well, if it hasn't already occurred to you, the bricks could be stored
perfectly well outside without worrying about damage.

I don't agree. Only the show face of a construction brick is water-resistant.
The other five faces will absorb water readily. Unless the OP lives in an area
where the outdoor temperature *never* drops below 32F/0C, bricks stored
outdoors will be destroyed by spalling after a couple of winters. Paving
bricks are a different story, of course, but that's not what the OP is talking
about.
Old December 27th 09, 12:56 AM posted to alt.home.repair

In article , aemeijers wrote:

Stacked flat 7 or 8 high along one wall, like in the furnace room,
they will not take up much usable footprint. If he has storage shelves
in basement, they can go behind and under the bottom shelf.

And if he doesn't have storage shelves in the basement, he can use the bricks
and a few 1x10s to make storage shelves...

Old December 27th 09, 12:59 AM posted to alt.home.repair

dalemstevens wrote:
My dad has a 25 year old home for which he has saved some 250 brick
from the original construction. He wants to get rid of them after all
this time to make room for whatever. I think it is a shame to haul
them off to the landfill when as soon as he does so something for some
reason or another will come up where they are needed (I know it is a
stretch, but for example a couple of years ago a car ran off the road
and into a home...you guessed it, the new bricks used to fix the hole
did not match too well). If he could figure out where to store them
without them being in the way too much they would stay. What could be
done with them?

Put down some gravel outside to make a "foundation", stack the bricks
neatly, leaving a hollowed out area a foot deep. Line the hollowed out area
with some plastic, and put some pots in there with flowers.

Remove bricks/reassemble as you need them.

Jon

Old December 27th 09, 02:13 AM posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:
[...]

They make lovely shelves....make two or three short stacks, lay a board
across, repeat. I used some landscape pavers and rather inexpensive
prefinished shelves from HD to make shelves for guestroom...can change
layout or add to it if needed.

Old December 27th 09, 02:32 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 26, 8:13*pm, "
wrote:
aemeijers wrote:
[...]

aem sends....- Hide quoted text -

250 bricks will make a lot of bookshelves. But I can't believe only
the "face" is waterproof. Every house I have seen that is brick has
not only the face exposed, but also 3/8" of the top, sides and
bottom. I would go for a false wall along side an existing basement
wall. Find some place to store them, or offer 200 of them for sale on
a local bulletin board. Definitely keep at least 50 of them for some
unforeseen circumstance.
Old December 27th 09, 03:36 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 16:19:20 -0800 (PST), dalemstevens
wrote:

My dad has a 25 year old home for which he has saved some 250 brick
from the original construction. He wants to get rid of them after all
this time to make room for whatever. I think it is a shame to haul
them off to the landfill when as soon as he does so something for some
reason or another will come up where they are needed (I know it is a
stretch, but for example a couple of years ago a car ran off the road
and into a home...you guessed it, the new bricks used to fix the hole
did not match too well). If he could figure out where to store them
without them being in the way too much they would stay. What could be
done with them?

Stack them against the wall inside the end of the garage, or inside
the "fruit cellar" or "cold room" generally located under the front
entry, or in some other similar "out-of-the-way" location

How old are these bricks? Bitstreams UK diy 9 October 27th 07 12:16 AM
Where to buy air bricks? dog-man UK diy 7 September 4th 06 04:21 AM
How to cut bricks? Walter R. Home Repair 6 July 13th 06 04:26 AM
bricks [email protected] UK diy 10 April 6th 05 06:05 AM
Air bricks John Miller UK diy 8 October 23rd 04 12:40 AM