Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Where to store left over bricks

In article m, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 12/26/2009 4:19 PM dalemstevens spake thus:

My dad has a 25 year old home for which he has saved some 250 brick
from the original construction. He wants to get rid of them after all
this time to make room for whatever. I think it is a shame to haul
them off to the landfill when as soon as he does so something for some
reason or another will come up where they are needed (I know it is a
stretch, but for example a couple of years ago a car ran off the road
and into a home...you guessed it, the new bricks used to fix the hole
did not match too well). If he could figure out where to store them
without them being in the way too much they would stay. What could be
done with them?

Well, if it hasn't already occurred to you, the bricks could be stored
perfectly well outside without worrying about damage.

I don't agree. Only the show face of a construction brick is water-resistant.
The other five faces will absorb water readily. Unless the OP lives in an area
where the outdoor temperature *never* drops below 32F/0C, bricks stored
outdoors will be destroyed by spalling after a couple of winters. Paving
bricks are a different story, of course, but that's not what the OP is talking
about.