Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to cut bricks?

I am covering a patio with bricks, laid in sand. In order to cut starter
bricks and to follow a curve, I need to cut about 20 bricks along the short
dimension (4"). These are "split pavers", 1 1/4" thick.

I have a 7" circular saw. Can I use this saw to cut brick and what kind of
blade should I use?

Thanks

--
Walter
www.rationality.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

I think there is a saw for this, but the way I've done it is with a
brick chisel. Wide blade. Cut a grove, and then break at the grove,
like you do when cutting glass tubing. If you screw up, bricks are
cheap enough.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Walter R." wrote in message
I am covering a patio with bricks, laid in sand. In order to cut starter
bricks and to follow a curve, I need to cut about 20 bricks along the short
dimension (4"). These are "split pavers", 1 1/4" thick.

I have a 7" circular saw. Can I use this saw to cut brick and what kind of
blade should I use?

Thanks

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
-

I'm in the process of installing brick walks right now, around 2700 bricks
worth. I just finished a kiva style fireplace made from pumice brick and
fire brick. I bit the bullet and bought a Harbor Freight wet saw for
around $190. It has performed brilliantly and saved me a lot of headaches
so I think I've gotten my money's worth. That being said, for only 20
bricks, I wouldn't buy it. For 3500, it was a no brainer. You can get dry
blades for your circular saw that will work just fine. A wide chisel and
hammer will work as well for simple cuts. Just beware, brick will create a
lot of dust being cut dry so anticipate cleaning your saw thoroughly
afterwards. As well, they contain silica dust when cut dry so you really
should wear a mask.
Cheers,
cc

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 18:47:22 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Walter R." quickly quoth:

I am covering a patio with bricks, laid in sand. In order to cut starter
bricks and to follow a curve, I need to cut about 20 bricks along the short
dimension (4"). These are "split pavers", 1 1/4" thick.

I have a 7" circular saw. Can I use this saw to cut brick and what kind of
blade should I use?

Try these chisels for just a couple dozen bricks. They're cheap and
work well.

Wet saws will get you along more quickly if you have 1,000 bricks to
shape, but they start at $200.

-
In nature's infinite book of secrecy a little I can read. -Shakespeare
------
http://diversify.com Website Application & Database Development
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

Walter R. wrote:
I am covering a patio with bricks, laid in sand. In order to cut starter
bricks and to follow a curve, I need to cut about 20 bricks along the short
dimension (4"). These are "split pavers", 1 1/4" thick.

I have a 7" circular saw. Can I use this saw to cut brick and what kind of
blade should I use?

Thanks

Dry Wet Concrete and Masonry Saw blade in my Black and Decker Hand
Rotary saw. I cut about forty paving stones square and at angles for the
driveway, lots of dust until I sprinkled a little water on the work
before cutting.
I made a wooden holder a bit like a mitre box to hold the stone and
clamped it in a Workmate.

I was surprised at how easy it was apart from the noise and stone dust.

Good Luck

Posted to alt.home.repair

Walter R. wrote:
I am covering a patio with bricks, laid in sand. In order to cut
starter bricks and to follow a curve, I need to cut about 20 bricks
along the short dimension (4"). These are "split pavers", 1 1/4"
thick.

I have a 7" circular saw. Can I use this saw to cut brick

Yes
_____________

and what kind of blade should I use?

For your quantity, go to a hardware store and buy a masonry blade for a
dollar or two. They are a bonded abrasive disc about 1/8" thick - sort of
like a thin grinding wheel. Cut outside, they throw lots of dust.

Be sure the one you get is for masonry, similar ones are available for metal
cutting.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

According to dadiOH :
Walter R. wrote:
I am covering a patio with bricks, laid in sand. In order to cut
starter bricks and to follow a curve, I need to cut about 20 bricks
along the short dimension (4"). These are "split pavers", 1 1/4"
thick.

I have a 7" circular saw. Can I use this saw to cut brick

Yes
_____________

and what kind of blade should I use?

For your quantity, go to a hardware store and buy a masonry blade for a
dollar or two. They are a bonded abrasive disc about 1/8" thick - sort of
like a thin grinding wheel. Cut outside, they throw lots of dust.

Buy two or even three. They wear out that fast.

You need some sort of backstop. Even a 1x2 screwed flat onto
a chunk of plywood will do.

The dust is hell on the circular saw's bearings. Don't do this with an
expensive wormdrive. A spraybottle with some water would probably
help. My cheap skilsaw has significant slop in its bearings now.

The scraping of the saw shoe on brick will make you cringe.

A dust mask is critical.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

Bricks on a patio Charles Bishop Home Repair 4 June 26th 06 05:20 AM
removing bricks from a wall? CJATE Home Repair 4 November 29th 05 07:42 PM
What to do with these bricks? Charlie S. Home Repair 12 July 15th 05 05:10 PM
bricks [email protected] UK diy 10 April 6th 05 07:05 AM
Bricks above Patio door Tim Jenkins UK diy 2 October 7th 03 09:24 AM