John Miller

Default Air bricks

My daughter has bought a mid-terrace house which I guess was built between
the wars. The front and rear walls have air-bricks set into them high up
near the eves. It appears that these bricks admit rain water as there are
damp patches on the inside walls around the same area.

I would like to remove them and replace with a solid brick, but they must
have some purpose. The roof has no weatherdoards or soffits and perhaps
they are there to ventilate the loft space via the cavity. Can anybody tell
me if blocking them up is a good idea or suggest any other solution?

John Miller

Richard Faulkner

In message , John Miller
writes
My daughter has bought a mid-terrace house which I guess was built between
the wars. The front and rear walls have air-bricks set into them high up
near the eves. It appears that these bricks admit rain water as there are
damp patches on the inside walls around the same area.

I would like to remove them and replace with a solid brick, but they must
have some purpose. The roof has no weatherdoards or soffits and perhaps
they are there to ventilate the loft space via the cavity. Can anybody tell
me if blocking them up is a good idea or suggest any other solution?

John Miller

They allow ventilation and blocking them would do more harm than good.
I'm not sure of the solution but wonder if some kind of shield could be
built around them so that air can get in from the bottom, but rain is
prevented from the top, front & sides.

--
Richard Faulkner
stuart noble

Richard Faulkner wrote in message ...
In message , John Miller
writes
[...]

I can't see that they serve any purpose in a modern house. Originally they
were probably to do with ventilation for coal or gas fires, and I think
you'll find they're brick lined, so wouldn't have anything to do with the
loft.
I used an offcut of aquapanel for the last one I did, with a couple of
battens just inside the opening to support it, but bricking up might be
better in exposed situations.

Christian McArdle

I would like to remove them and replace with a solid brick, but they must
have some purpose. The roof has no weatherdoards or soffits and perhaps
they are there to ventilate the loft space via the cavity.

I would probably go with your guess. If true, they can be removed, provided
alternative ventilation is provided, which may prove difficult if you have
no soffits to put vents into.

Simply attaching a cowl over the bricks might be an alternative solution.
Perhaps a small shelter bent out of some lead flashing and sealed into the
mortar lines with lead sealant will stop enough of the rain coming in
without blocking the ventilation. Make sure your guttering works, too. Water
running down walls due to block drainpipes can be a problem.

Christian.

sPoNiX

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 02:10:22 +0100, "John Miller"
wrote:

My daughter has bought a mid-terrace house which I guess was built between
the wars. The front and rear walls have air-bricks set into them high up
near the eves. It appears that these bricks admit rain water as there are
damp patches on the inside walls around the same area.

I would like to remove them and replace with a solid brick, but they must
have some purpose. The roof has no weatherdoards or soffits and perhaps
they are there to ventilate the loft space via the cavity. Can anybody tell
me if blocking them up is a good idea or suggest any other solution?

John Miller

Some pre-war ww2 houses had airbricks which led through both layers of
the cavity wall to a vent. The idea was to provide ventilation to the
upstairs rooms.

It's quite possible that the vent on the inside has been bricked up
but the airbrick leftopen on the outside.

Some that I have seen had the cavity gap lined with slate...if the
slate is still in place then water entering the airbrick will end up
on the inner wall. Not an ideal solution.

sPoNiX

Owain

"John Miller" wrote
| My daughter has bought a mid-terrace house which I guess was
| built between the wars. The front and rear walls have air-
| bricks set into them high up near the eves. It appears that
| these bricks admit rain water as there are damp patches on
| the inside walls around the same area.

I would be surprised if rain is actually being admitted. Could it be
condensation on a locally cold patch of wall which, especially if the house
has been unoccupied or poorly heated in the past, may solve themselves if
your daughter moves in and heats and ventilates the place. If not, kitchen
and bathroom extractor fans are probably the first step.

If there are open flued solid fuel or gas appliances exercise appropriate
caution before sealing up fixed vents.

Owain

sPoNiX wrote:

Some pre-war ww2 houses had airbricks which led through both layers of
the cavity wall to a vent. The idea was to provide ventilation to the
upstairs rooms.

Not just pre WW2 houses, our house built in about 1950 had airbricks
'piped' through cavity walls. It was a very up to date house for its
time (my parents designed it themselves) as it had 13A BS1363 socketed
ring mains, stainless steel sink, central heating boiler and a through
lounge.

--
Chris Green
Kevin

[...]

I think that you have just answered a question that I had. My 1936
semi has upstairs airbricks but I don't have any damp problems. I just
ripped out all the old lath and plaster and replaster all the walls
and ceilings. To make it easier for the plasterer I blanked off the
opening with plaster board so he could skim over it. I then intended
to cut out the plaster board and fit a grill but then wondered if that
was necessary. I guess that it is.

Kevin
John Miller

"Owain" wrote in message
"John Miller" wrote
| My daughter has bought a mid-terrace house which I guess was
| built between the wars. The front and rear walls have air-
| bricks set into them high up near the eves. It appears that
| these bricks admit rain water as there are damp patches on
| the inside walls around the same area.

I would be surprised if rain is actually being admitted. Could it be
condensation on a locally cold patch of wall which, especially if the
house
has been unoccupied or poorly heated in the past, may solve themselves if
your daughter moves in and heats and ventilates the place. If not, kitchen
and bathroom extractor fans are probably the first step.

If there are open flued solid fuel or gas appliances exercise appropriate
caution before sealing up fixed vents.

Owain

Thanks to all who replied. It looks like water is definitely being admitted
as a large damp patch showed up on the (newly-applied) wallpaper during a
downpour yesterday. There are no corresponding internal airbricks or vents,
so it is possible that these existed previously and have been blocked up -
I'll investigate further. Yesterday's damp patch was accompanied by a
dripping gutter outside, but we haven't been able to get up there yet to
determine whether it is blocked or merely leaking. Thanks again

John Miller