Posted to alt.home.repair
benick[_2_] benick[_2_] is offline

Default Where to store left over bricks

"AZ Nomad" wrote in message
On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 17:39:06 -0500, benick wrote:

"AZ Nomad" wrote in message
On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 16:43:08 -0500, benick wrote:

"ransley" wrote in message
On Dec 26, 6:36 pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 12/26/2009 4:19 PM dalemstevens spake thus:

My dad has a 25 year old home for which he has saved some 250 brick
from the original construction. He wants to get rid of them after
all
this time to make room for whatever. I think it is a shame to haul
them off to the landfill when as soon as he does so something for
some
reason or another will come up where they are needed (I know it is a
stretch, but for example a couple of years ago a car ran off the
road
and into a home...you guessed it, the new bricks used to fix the
hole
did not match too well). If he could figure out where to store them
without them being in the way too much they would stay. What could
be
done with them?

Well, if it hasn't already occurred to you, the bricks could be stored
perfectly well outside without worrying about damage. You could pave
an
area, or just stack them behind, under or around something. When it
comes time to use them, just wash them off and you're good to go.

--
I am a Canadian who was born and raised in The Netherlands. I live on
Planet Earth on a spot of land called Canada. We have noisy

- harvested from Usenet

Untrue, they will deteriorate from being water soaked and freezing,
some go in 5 years, some last 50 but most all will be weakened. As far

What process, pray tell, deteriorates unassembled bricks as opposed to
assembled brick walls?

Not that I'm an expert but a quick Bing search got this...HTH...

PROTECTION

Storage of Materials

The manner in which materials are stored at the construction site may have
an influence on their future performance. Materials should be stored to
avoid wetting by rain or snow, and also avoid contamination by salts or
other matter which may contribute to efflorescence and staining.

Not all materials are equal. No mention of bricks, I can't assume that
your cite has the slightest bearing on storing bricks.

Try READING the link...IT IS TALKING ABOUT BRICKS hence the name of the
website gobrick.com and cites the Brick Institute of America.....

PROTECTION

Storage of Materials

The manner in which materials are stored at the construction site may have
an influence on their future performance. Materials should be stored to
avoid wetting by rain or snow, and also avoid contamination by salts or
other matter which may contribute to efflorescence and staining.

Masonry Units. Masonry units should be stored off the ground to avoid
contamination by dirt and by ground water which may contain soluble salts.
They should also be covered by a water-resistant membrane to keep them dry.

Cementitious Materials. Cementitious materials for mortar should be stored
off the ground and under cover.

Sand. Sand for mortar should also be stored on high ground, or ideally, off
the ground to prevent contamination from dirt, organic materials and ground
water, any of which may contribute to efflorescence and may be deleterious
to mortar performance. In addition, it is advisable to store sand and other
aggregates under a protective cover. This will avoid saturation and freezing
in cold weather.

Flashing. Flashing materials should be stored in places where they will not
be punctured or damaged. Plastic and asphalt coated flashing materials
should not be stored in areas exposed to sunlight. Ultraviolet rays from the
sun break down these materials, causing them to become brittle with time.
Plastic flashing exposed to the weather at the site for months before
installation should not be used. During installation, flashing must be
pliable so that no cracks occur at corners or bends.

EVERYTHING is to be off the ground and covered....Atleast according to the
experts of which I'm not ..From what I've seen over the last 20 years of
being on jobsites , that's how the pro's do it as well ...Cite a website
that says different....