Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT - Got Milk? Drink it. / Got Nothing to Do? Join an HOA

Decorated Veteran, 90, Fights to Raise Flag in His Yard

Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:
Decorated Veteran, 90, Fights to Raise Flag in His Yard

Guess he has the freedom to move to a private property so's he can do as
he pleases.....the yard is not his own, it belongs to the community.
Same old same old...people who think they are more special than other
people.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 20:16:21 -0500, "
wrote:

Red Green wrote:
Decorated Veteran, 90, Fights to Raise Flag in His Yard

Guess he has the freedom to move to a private property so's he can do as
he pleases.....the yard is not his own, it belongs to the community.
Same old same old...people who think they are more special than other
people.

That veteran IS special and it would be an honor to have more
neighbors like him!

Gordon Shumway

Our Constitution needs to be used less as a shield
for the guilty and more as a sword for the victim.
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in news:w46dnU4WYPN5_
:

Red Green wrote:
Decorated Veteran, 90, Fights to Raise Flag in His Yard

Guess he has the freedom to move to a private property so's he can do as
he pleases.....the yard is not his own, it belongs to the community.
Same old same old...people who think they are more special than other
people.

Some truth to that I suppose.

Also some truth that HOA's devalue HOA properties - even the properties of
the non-radical HOA's. I know I wouldn't touch one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:
" wrote in news:w46dnU4WYPN5_
:

Red Green wrote:
Decorated Veteran, 90, Fights to Raise Flag in His Yard

Guess he has the freedom to move to a private property so's he can do as
he pleases.....the yard is not his own, it belongs to the community.
Same old same old...people who think they are more special than other
people.

Some truth to that I suppose.

Also some truth that HOA's devalue HOA properties - even the properties of
the non-radical HOA's. I know I wouldn't touch one.

The fella deserves to be honored for his valor and service...by the same
token, he is using property owned by other people. I hate HOA's,
largely due to really improper conduct of condo assn. I speak from
experience, and I don't like people who act as if the rules are for
everyone else.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 22:25:52 -0500, "
wrote:

Red Green wrote:
" wrote in news:w46dnU4WYPN5_
:

Red Green wrote:
Decorated Veteran, 90, Fights to Raise Flag in His Yard

Guess he has the freedom to move to a private property so's he can do as
he pleases.....the yard is not his own, it belongs to the community.
Same old same old...people who think they are more special than other
people.

Some truth to that I suppose.

Also some truth that HOA's devalue HOA properties - even the properties of
the non-radical HOA's. I know I wouldn't touch one.

The fella deserves to be honored for his valor and service...by the same
token, he is using property owned by other people. I hate HOA's,
largely due to really improper conduct of condo assn. I speak from
experience, and I don't like people who act as if the rules are for
everyone else.

He should have looked into the rules of the property he was moving to,
before he moved. But he probably never imagined they had such a rule.

I got a new neighbor a month ago, and like all the rest, she didn't
bother to talk to me before she bought the house. I could have been
an axe murderer for all she knew. The people on her other side really
are annoying.
Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:

He should have looked into the rules of the property he was moving to,
before he moved. But he probably never imagined they had such a rule.

I got a new neighbor a month ago, and like all the rest, she didn't
bother to talk to me before she bought the house. I could have been
an axe murderer for all she knew. The people on her other side really
are annoying.

Heh! I found a swell house to buy, last one on a dead-end street. High
fence - with a few holes -separated it from an adjoining apartment complex.
As we were driving away from the initial inspection, I saw a police car
slowly driving down the street. I held out my hand to stop the officer. He
stopped, window to window.

I told him I was thinking about buying the house at the end of the block and
asked if he could tell me anything about the neighborhood.

"I certainly can't advise you on whether to buy that house," he said. "But I
can tell you that apartment house next door is full of thieves and
murderers. Between calls I cruise the parking lot entering license plates in
my computer. I get hits on an average of three stolen cars a week. Sometimes
I find them in the driveway at that house at the end of the block... the one
with the "For Sale" sign (!). The night shift makes probably three calls a
week over there for shootings, stabbings, fights, and so forth."

Gulp!

I bought a different house.

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:
On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 22:25:52 -0500, "
wrote:

Red Green wrote:
" wrote in news:w46dnU4WYPN5_
:

Red Green wrote:
[...]

Florida statutes governing HOA's specify that each homeowner may display
the US flag and certain others - state, mil. services. Also specifies
that the homeowner may erect a flagpole no more than 20' in height,
regardless of the HOA's restrictions, on their own property. The
statute limits size and type of flag, etc. It took a lot of lawsuits to
get the statutes for HOA's and condos in Fla.

Virginia statutes also limit display of flag..
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...0+cod+55-513.1

The rules in my condo were general and not enforced at all. Then they
got tough, very specific and very personal....still not at all consistent.

If the flag alone were the issue with this guy, he probably is free to
put a flag in a bracket by his door....that's what we do. He wants to
play general and be in command, but he ain't on a military base any
more. People less recognized than he is have died to ensure we all have
the same rights as citizens...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Probably not ethical, but that's an officer I'd suggest to
send a box of donuts. And a gift certificate to the donut
shop of his choice.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

mm wrote:

[...]

Sissy. Charles Bronson would've bought it and cleaned up the 'hood.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:
Decorated Veteran, 90, Fights to Raise Flag in His Yard

I was reading the story and a line caught my eye
"where the grounds are community property". Now
if the wonderful old fellow wants to erect a flag
pole on his "personal" property, I would be there
to help. This looks like a case of property rights
and who decides. I certainly wouldn't want anyone
erecting anything on "my" property against my wishes.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
Red Green wrote:
Decorated Veteran, 90, Fights to Raise Flag in His Yard

I was reading the story and a line caught my eye
"where the grounds are community property". Now
if the wonderful old fellow wants to erect a flag
pole on his "personal" property, I would be there
to help. This looks like a case of property rights
and who decides. I certainly wouldn't want anyone
erecting anything on "my" property against my wishes.

TDD

He shouldn't be raising his pole in public.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 07:48:27 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

mm wrote:

[...]

Ha ha ha. I love it. Yes, I've gotten the idea that it's common for
cops not to say things like whether you should buy a house or not. I
don't know if that's a rule, if they're trained on that, or if they've
just learned to mind their own business, because someone is bound to
yell at them no matter what they say.

Between calls I cruise the parking lot entering license plates in
my computer. I get hits on an average of three stolen cars a week. Sometimes
I find them in the driveway at that house at the end of the block... the one
with the "For Sale" sign (!). The night shift makes probably three calls a
week over there for shootings, stabbings, fights, and so forth."

Gulp!

I bought a different house.

Sissy. Charles Bronson would've bought it and cleaned up the 'hood.

You make a good point. Bub, you are a sissy.

And I guess this all means I should have talked to the police before I
bought my house. Would you have done that, Bub, if he hadn't been
right there? I've thought about that in the past a few times for a
moment each. I messed up here by not checking out a larger area
around my house, before I bought it. AFTER I moved in, I found only
3/8ths of a mile away some rather junky looking apartments. But
actually, I don't think they cause any trouble. The only trouble
around here is an occasional burglar and I'm sure they drive here
because they're not going to carry their loot home. And they come
from some place far enough away that they and their cars won't be
recognized.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 3, 7:05*pm, Red Green wrote:
Decorated Veteran, 90, Fights to Raise Flag in His Yard

Your right to put up a TV antenna is protected, but your right to fly
the flag is not.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RickH wrote:
On Dec 3, 7:05 pm, Red Green wrote:
Decorated Veteran, 90, Fights to Raise Flag in His Yard

Your right to put up a TV antenna is protected, but your right to fly
the flag is not.

What if he mounts a flagpole to his house? Unless the house is also
community property and he just rents it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony wrote:

On Dec 3, 7:05 pm, Red Green wrote:
Decorated Veteran, 90, Fights to Raise Flag in His Yard

Your right to put up a TV antenna is protected, but your right to fly
the flag is not.

What if he mounts a flagpole to his house? Unless the house is also
community property and he just rents it?

He may own the inside but not the outside. You see what happens if he
starts to paint the outside red, white and blue; I'm guessing that the
HOA Nazis would jump on him for that too.

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:
Decorated Veteran, 90, Fights to Raise Flag in His Yard

I was reading the story and a line caught my eye
"where the grounds are community property". Now
if the wonderful old fellow wants to erect a flag
pole on his "personal" property, I would be there
to help. This looks like a case of property rights
and who decides. I certainly wouldn't want anyone
erecting anything on "my" property against my wishes.

TDD

He shouldn't be raising his pole in public.

Jim

Especially at his age. *snicker*

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
RickH wrote:

On Dec 3, 7:05*pm, Red Green wrote:
Decorated Veteran, 90, Fights to Raise Flag in His Yard

Your right to put up a TV antenna is protected, but your right to fly
the flag is not.

Where is your right to put up a TV antenna protected? I know quite a few
places where you have no such right. I'd wager that few HOAs allow them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
Smitty Two wrote:

In article
,
RickH wrote:

On Dec 3, 7:05*pm, Red Green wrote:
Decorated Veteran, 90, Fights to Raise Flag in His Yard

Your right to put up a TV antenna is protected, but your right to fly
the flag is not.

Where is your right to put up a TV antenna protected? I know quite a few
places where you have no such right. I'd wager that few HOAs allow them.

As directed by Congress in Section 207 of the Telecommunications Act of
1996, the Federal Communications Commission adopted the Over-the-Air
Reception Devices (³OTARD²) rule concerning governmental and
nongovernmental restrictions on viewers' ability to receive video
programming signals from direct broadcast satellites ("DBS"), broadband
radio service providers (formerly multichannel multipoint distribution
service or MMDS), and television broadcast stations ("TVBS").
The rule (47 C.F.R. Section 1.4000) has been in effect since October
1996, and it prohibits restrictions that impair the installation,
maintenance or use of antennas used to receive video programming. The
rule applies to video antennas including direct-to-home satellite dishes
that are less than one meter (39.37") in diameter (or of any size in
Alaska), TV antennas, and wireless cable antennas. The rule prohibits
most restrictions that: (1) unreasonably delay or prevent installation,
maintenance or use; (2) unreasonably increase the cost of installation,
maintenance or use; or (3) preclude reception of an acceptable quality
signal.
Effective January 22, 1999, the Commission amended the rule so that it
also applies to rental property where the renter has an exclusive use
area, such as a balcony or patio.
On October 25, 2000, the Commission further amended the rule so that it
applies to customer-end antennas that receive and transmit fixed
wireless signals. This amendment became effective on May 25, 2001.

The rule allows local governments, community associations and landlords
to enforce restrictions that do not impair the installation, maintenance
or use of the types of antennas described above, as well as restrictions
needed for safety or historic preservation. Under some circumstances
where a central or common antenna is available,* a community association
or landlord* may restrict the installation of individual antennas. The
rule does not apply to common areas that are owned by a landlord, a
community association, or jointly by condominium or cooperative owners
where the antenna user does not have an exclusive use area. Such common
areas may include the roof or exterior wall of a multiple dwelling unit.
Therefore, restrictions on antennas installed in or on such common areas
are enforceable.
IIRC CB & Ham antennas may be included although I think that was via
Court case that said the FCC had pre-empted local regulation of that. I
am vague on this one any more, though.

--
To find that place where the rats don't race
and the phones don't ring at all.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
Kurt Ullman wrote:

In article
,
Smitty Two wrote:

In article
,
RickH wrote:

[...]

I'll be damned. Well, around here you need a 30 ft. rooftop pop-up to
pull in anything but one local station, so I still imagine that would
keep anyone in a condo or apartment from putting one up.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,
RickH wrote:

On Dec 3, 7:05 pm, Red Green wrote:
Decorated Veteran, 90, Fights to Raise Flag in His Yard

Your right to put up a TV antenna is protected, but your right to fly
the flag is not.

Where is your right to put up a TV antenna protected? I know quite a few
places where you have no such right. I'd wager that few HOAs allow them.

What's protected is your right to put up a satellite dish. But you can't
put it up on community property.

This guy is just being a jerk. Many of the residents of that complex fly
flags attached to the building, but he's complaining that he wants to
put in a flag pole on community property because he wants to fly the
flag vertically, not at an angle. He should look into what the flag
really means before trying to impose his will on others.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/4/2009 6:27 AM Stormin Mormon spake thus:

Probably not ethical, but that's an officer I'd suggest to
send a box of donuts. And a gift certificate to the donut
shop of his choice.

Um, don't cops eat bagels these days? I though do[ugh]nuts were so
old-school.

--
I am a Canadian who was born and raised in The Netherlands. I live on
Planet Earth on a spot of land called Canada. We have noisy neighbours.

- harvested from Usenet
Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 12/4/2009 6:27 AM Stormin Mormon spake thus:

Probably not ethical, but that's an officer I'd suggest to send a box
of donuts. And a gift certificate to the donut shop of his choice.

Um, don't cops eat bagels these days? I though do[ugh]nuts were so
old-school.

Dougnuts, bagels, tomato, to-mah-toe. Both delicious, and if you spread
something on the bagel, both are about as bad for you.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

And I guess this all means I should have talked to the police before I
bought my house. Would you have done that, Bub, if he hadn't been
right there? I've thought about that in the past a few times for a
moment each.

No, I wouldn't have done it. It was an opportunistic event. But it was a
lesson learned (and passed on here). I'll certainly put it on my list of
things to do in the future.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote in news:Xns9CD6CC4D8D28ARedGreen@
216.168.3.70:

Decorated Veteran, 90, Fights to Raise Flag in His Yard

Followup: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,579773,00.html

RICHMOND, Va. — A 90-year-old Medal of Honor recipient can keep his 21-
foot flagpole in his front yard after a homeowner's association dropped its
request to remove it, a spokesman for Democratic Virginia Sen. Mark Warner
said Tuesday.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:
Red Green wrote in news:Xns9CD6CC4D8D28ARedGreen@
216.168.3.70:

Decorated Veteran, 90, Fights to Raise Flag in His Yard

Followup: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,579773,00.html

RICHMOND, Va. — A 90-year-old Medal of Honor recipient can keep his 21-
foot flagpole in his front yard after a homeowner's association dropped its
request to remove it, a spokesman for Democratic Virginia Sen. Mark Warner
said Tuesday.

Politicians should butt out of private property matters, and the issue
is about private property owned by a GROUP of people. I admire the guy
for his patriotism, but the next flagpole might be put up by a biker who
wants to fly the Confederate or a Nazi flag....precedent has been
established.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
" wrote:

Red Green wrote:
Red Green wrote in news:Xns9CD6CC4D8D28ARedGreen@
216.168.3.70:

Decorated Veteran, 90, Fights to Raise Flag in His Yard

Followup: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,579773,00.html

RICHMOND, Va. ‹ A 90-year-old Medal of Honor recipient can keep his 21-
foot flagpole in his front yard after a homeowner's association dropped its
request to remove it, a spokesman for Democratic Virginia Sen. Mark Warner
said Tuesday.

Politicians should butt out of private property matters, and the issue
is about private property owned by a GROUP of people. I admire the guy
for his patriotism, but the next flagpole might be put up by a biker who
wants to fly the Confederate or a Nazi flag....precedent has been
established.

Agreed. And I don't mean that in a trivial way.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Red Green wrote:
Red Green wrote in news:Xns9CD6CC4D8D28ARedGreen@
216.168.3.70:

Decorated Veteran, 90, Fights to Raise Flag in His Yard

Followup: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,579773,00.html

RICHMOND, Va. — A 90-year-old Medal of Honor recipient can keep his 21-
foot flagpole in his front yard after a homeowner's association
dropped its request to remove it, a spokesman for Democratic Virginia
Sen. Mark Warner said Tuesday.

Politicians should butt out of private property matters, and the issue
is about private property owned by a GROUP of people. I admire the guy
for his patriotism, but the next flagpole might be put up by a biker who
wants to fly the Confederate or a Nazi flag....precedent has been
established.

Why would a biker fly a Confederate or a Nazi flag? Are the Confederate
and Nazi flags the same? Most of the bikers I know would probably fly
a pair of soiled undershorts instead of any flag.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in
m:

Red Green wrote:
Red Green wrote in
news:Xns9CD6CC4D8D28ARedGreen@ 216.168.3.70:

Decorated Veteran, 90, Fights to Raise Flag in His Yard

Followup: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,579773,00.html

RICHMOND, Va. — A 90-year-old Medal of Honor recipient can keep his
21- foot flagpole in his front yard after a homeowner's association
dropped its request to remove it, a spokesman for Democratic Virginia
Sen. Mark Warner said Tuesday.

Politicians should butt out of private property matters, and the issue
is about private property owned by a GROUP of people. I admire the
guy for his patriotism, but the next flagpole might be put up by a
biker who wants to fly the Confederate or a Nazi flag....precedent has
been established.

True.

but...

Let's not stereotype bikers either. Yea I know many have a rep. One group
I was associated with years ago looked just like the typical biker scum.
One policy for membership was zero alcohol and drugs. There are many
positive examples but this is first hand experience. Oh, and American
flags only.

Yep, had a chopper I built from scratch - hardtail, king-queen seat,
custom paint, z-bars, 22" over front end :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Red Green wrote:

Let's not stereotype bikers either. Yea I know many have a rep. One group
I was associated with years ago looked just like the typical biker scum.
One policy for membership was zero alcohol and drugs. There are many
positive examples but this is first hand experience. Oh, and American
flags only.

Easy to do. My wife & I were going to a new watering hole a few years
ago to see a new band we had heard a lot about. Come running up to the
front and see all these motorcycles lined up with a bunch of scraggly
dudes hanging out. Wife wanted to leave but then I noticed the colors.
Told her all would be well and you would be probably be safer in that
bar that night than at home. It was a meeting of the Iron Pigs, so they
were all cops and fire dudes.

--
To find that place where the rats don't race
and the phones don't ring at all.
If once, you've slept on an island.
Scott Kirby "If once you've slept on an island"

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Ullman wrote in
:

In article ,
Red Green wrote:

Let's not stereotype bikers either. Yea I know many have a rep. One
group I was associated with years ago looked just like the typical
biker scum. One policy for membership was zero alcohol and drugs.
There are many positive examples but this is first hand experience.
Oh, and American flags only.

Easy to do. My wife & I were going to a new watering hole a few
years
ago to see a new band we had heard a lot about. Come running up to the
front and see all these motorcycles lined up with a bunch of scraggly
dudes hanging out. Wife wanted to leave but then I noticed the colors.
Told her all would be well and you would be probably be safer in that
bar that night than at home. It was a meeting of the Iron Pigs, so
they were all cops and fire dudes.

Stereotyping might be a good thing here. Imagine a dealer offering up
some merchandise to them. How embarrassing among your poison pusher
peers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:
wrote:
Red Green wrote:
[...]

Just the first things that came to mind as causing controversy. Some of
my best friends are bikers. ) FWIW, a friend of a friend who is a
retired police officer has statues of R. Reagan and A. Hitler in his
living room...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
Red Green wrote:

Let's not stereotype bikers either. Yea I know many have a rep. One group
I was associated with years ago looked just like the typical biker scum.
One policy for membership was zero alcohol and drugs. There are many
positive examples but this is first hand experience. Oh, and American
flags only.

Easy to do. My wife & I were going to a new watering hole a few years
ago to see a new band we had heard a lot about. Come running up to the
front and see all these motorcycles lined up with a bunch of scraggly
dudes hanging out. Wife wanted to leave but then I noticed the colors.
Told her all would be well and you would be probably be safer in that
bar that night than at home. It was a meeting of the Iron Pigs, so they
were all cops and fire dudes.

I heard a story about a guy who tried armed robbery at a "private club"
like that...he got in but didn't get out )