Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected][_2_] norminn@earthlink.net[_2_] is offline

Default OT - Got Milk? Drink it. / Got Nothing to Do? Join an HOA

mm wrote:
On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 22:25:52 -0500, "
wrote:

Red Green wrote:
" wrote in news:w46dnU4WYPN5_
:

Red Green wrote:
Decorated Veteran, 90, Fights to Raise Flag in His Yard

Guess he has the freedom to move to a private property so's he can do as
he pleases.....the yard is not his own, it belongs to the community.
Same old same old...people who think they are more special than other
people.

Some truth to that I suppose.

Also some truth that HOA's devalue HOA properties - even the properties of
the non-radical HOA's. I know I wouldn't touch one.

The fella deserves to be honored for his valor and service...by the same
token, he is using property owned by other people. I hate HOA's,
largely due to really improper conduct of condo assn. I speak from
experience, and I don't like people who act as if the rules are for
everyone else.

He should have looked into the rules of the property he was moving to,
before he moved. But he probably never imagined they had such a rule.

I got a new neighbor a month ago, and like all the rest, she didn't
bother to talk to me before she bought the house. I could have been
an axe murderer for all she knew. The people on her other side really
are annoying.

Florida statutes governing HOA's specify that each homeowner may display
the US flag and certain others - state, mil. services. Also specifies
that the homeowner may erect a flagpole no more than 20' in height,
regardless of the HOA's restrictions, on their own property. The
statute limits size and type of flag, etc. It took a lot of lawsuits to
get the statutes for HOA's and condos in Fla.

Virginia statutes also limit display of flag..
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...0+cod+55-513.1

The rules in my condo were general and not enforced at all. Then they
got tough, very specific and very personal....still not at all consistent.

If the flag alone were the issue with this guy, he probably is free to
put a flag in a bracket by his door....that's what we do. He wants to
play general and be in command, but he ain't on a military base any
more. People less recognized than he is have died to ensure we all have
the same rights as citizens...