Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Default Largest wood hole-saw ?

What is the largest, commonly-used wood hole-saw that one would find in a
bix box store such as Lowe's or Home Depot ?

4 inches , or bigger ??

Thanks !!

JJ

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Oct 26, 9:51*pm, "James" no wrote:
What is the largest, commonly-used wood hole-saw that one would find in a
bix box store such as Lowe's or *Home Depot ?

4 inches , *or bigger ??

Thanks !!

JJ

I bought a 6 " hole saw made by Lenox, purchased at Lowes.
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Oct 26, 10:06*pm, Mikepier wrote:
On Oct 26, 9:51*pm, "James" no wrote:

What is the largest, commonly-used wood hole-saw that one would find in a
bix box store such as Lowe's or *Home Depot ?

4 inches , *or bigger ??

Thanks !!

JJ

I bought a 6 " hole saw made by Lenox, purchased at Lowes.

Anything larger than 6 inches you would be better off using a jig saw
and a compass attachment.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Great replies, many thanks !!

James

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

What is the largest, commonly-used wood hole-saw that one would
find in a big box store such as Lowe's or*Home Depot ?
4 inches, *or bigger ??

Anything larger than 6 inches you would be better off using a jig saw
and a compass attachment.

The biggest hole saw I have bought from Lowes is 4-1/2", and I don't know
that I would want to go much larger. When the saw gets that large, you need
a powerful drill to turn it. My Dewalt drill has no problem, but when the
saw binds (common with the larger sizes) it will practically rip your arm
off if you're not well braced. Whenever possible, I adjust the extra
handle so it rests against a stud or other solid object to counteract the
kickback when the saw binds.

I find accurate holes are useful up to the 3" to 4" range for things like
electrical boxes, pipes, or dryer ducts. But when the hole gets larger I
usually just draw the opening with a compass or something, then cut it
freehand with a jig saw.

Anthony

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Oct 27, 11:30*am, HerHusband wrote:
[...]

"My Dewalt drill has no problem, but when the saw binds ... it
will practically rip your arm off ...."

I had my bicep tendon reattached to my elbow earlier this year. 12
weeks later the surgeon said I could resume all normal activities.

I don't think having an 18V Dewalt drill bind up was on his list of
"normal activities".

My whole arm was sore for 3 days.
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Oct 27, 12:28*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

My whole arm was sore for 3 days.- Hide quoted text -

What was the cause of the bicep/tendon problem?
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Oct 27, 10:15*pm, Red Green wrote:

M1 Abrams...but I guess that's not really a hole saw.

That's a hole puncher. Close.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Oct 27, 6:13*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
[...]

What was the cause of the bicep/tendon problem?- Hide quoted text -

"What was the cause of the bicep/tendon problem?"

I moved the end of a couch away from the wall.

I placed my left hand on the arm of the couch and with my right arm
fully extended, I grasped the bottom of the couch with my right hand.

As soon as I lifted the couch I felt a fluttering in the upper part of
my right arm. It felt almost like I had been shocked. When I looked at
my arm I saw a gap between the inner elbow and the bottom of the
bicep. The bicep looked like a tennis ball higher up on my arm.

One week later they fished the end of the tendon out of my upper arm
and reattached it to the bone just below the elbow.

I'd moved that couch a hundred times and lift heavier objects of all
shapes and sizes on a regular basis. When I asked the surgeon why it
popped, all I got was a "things happen" kind of answer.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Oct 27, 1:28*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

ICEY HOT for the arm and try some paraffin on the saw blade next time.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

I had my bicep tendon reattached to my elbow earlier this year. 12
weeks later the surgeon said I could resume all normal activities.

Ouch!

"My Dewalt drill has no problem, but when the saw binds ... it
will practically rip your arm off ...."
I don't think having an 18V Dewalt drill bind up was on his list of
"normal activities".

I bought my Dewalt DW246 "corded" drill a few years ago when we were
plumbing our house. I chose it specifically for it's low speed and high
torque. My primary use was driving a 2" self-feeding auger bit for running
drain and vent pipes. Every other drill I had owned (including an old
heavy duty monster I inherited from my dad) would simply bog down when in a
bind. So I was completely unprepared for the torque of the tiny little
DW246. The first time the auger hit a knot and spun ME around into the
wall was a painful learning experience. Since then I always try to brace
the extra handle against a firm support like a stud or wall, and I always
take it as slow as possible in case it does bind.

Just last weekend I was drilling a 4-1/2" hole for a dryer duct, standing
on a ladder in my in-laws basement. Despite bracing the extra handle
against the foundation wall, the hole saw still bound and slammed my hand
into the joists and foundation a few times. Thankfully I was well balanced
so I didn't get knocked off the ladder.

It's an awesome tool, but it does demand respect.

Anthony
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Oct 28, 1:07*pm, JIMMIE wrote:
[...]

Jimmie- Hide quoted text -

You mean I could have avoided surgery if I had used Icy Hot after
ripping the tendon off of the bone?

D*mn - I wish I had known!
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 16:19:57 -0500, Red Green
wrote:

you can really get an m1 at a big box? where are you located and are
they on sale this weekend?

Why go to the Borg? That's 2.5 miles from where I am. The razor wire of
Ft Bragg is 2000ft down the road. The Blackhawks are a few hundred
feet...up. I want one...just one.

Red,

See if the base has a Defense Reutilization and Marketing Office
(DRMO).

They (other bases) have in the past sold to the public at auctions.
All kind of goodies, generators, fire safes, tools, machines and maybe
a large hole-saw.
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Oren wrote in news:v7ehe59lv6cveea8jnhvdpo712kaf9281o@
4ax.com:

wrote:

you can really get an m1 at a big box? where are you located and are
they on sale this weekend?

Why go to the Borg? That's 2.5 miles from where I am. The razor wire of
Ft Bragg is 2000ft down the road. The Blackhawks are a few hundred
feet...up. I want one...just one.

Red,

See if the base has a Defense Reutilization and Marketing Office
(DRMO).

They (other bases) have in the past sold to the public at auctions.
All kind of goodies, generators, fire safes, tools, machines and maybe
a large hole-saw.

If I had a whaling harpoon I could stand on the roof and rope one in.
Grapling hook might do if I practice.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Nov 19, 3:54*pm, "reqluq" wrote:
I don't understand why you just didn't call them instead of coming in here
req"James" no wrote in message

net...

What is the largest, commonly-used wood hole-saw that one would find in a
bix box store such as Lowe's or *Home Depot ?

4 inches , *or bigger ??

Thanks !!

JJ- Hide quoted text -

I don't understand why you waited 3 weeks to tell us that you don't
understand why he didn't call them.
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
On Nov 19, 3:54 pm, "reqluq" wrote:
I don't understand why you just didn't call them instead of coming in here
req"James" no wrote in message

net...

What is the largest, commonly-used wood hole-saw that one would find in
bix box store such as Lowe's or Home Depot ?

4 inches , or bigger ??

Thanks !!

JJ- Hide quoted text -

I don't understand why you waited 3 weeks to tell us that you don't
understand why he didn't call them.

I don't understand why you waited 30 mins to come in here and to say that
you don't understand why I waited 3 weeks to tell y'all that I don't
understand why he didn't call them

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Nov 19, 3:54 pm, "reqluq" wrote:
I don't understand why you just didn't call them instead of coming in here
req"James" no wrote in message

net...

What is the largest, commonly-used wood hole-saw that one would find in
bix box store such as Lowe's or Home Depot ?

4 inches , or bigger ??

Thanks !!

JJ- Hide quoted text -

I don't understand why you waited 3 weeks to tell us that you don't
understand why he didn't call them.

I don't understand why you waited 30 mins to come in here and to say that
you don't understand why I waited 3 weeks to tell y'all that I don't
understand why he didn't call them

I don't understand why you don't use a properly configured news reader
that quotes properly so people know what you said, and what the

Then again, some people respond to ancient posts so they can appear to
be adding useful feedback, but instead only adding fluf to make
themselves feel good.
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Nov 19, 3:54 pm, "reqluq" wrote:
[...]

Normally the commas go in automatically, like they did here ...don't know
what happened on those other posts. Maybe a glitch.
req
req

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Nov 19, 3:54 pm, "reqluq" wrote:
[...]

You misread me. I don't feel good about having to tell someone to use the
phone.
req