Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can I use a diamond hole saw on wood?

I need to cut a 3/4" hole in a piece of engineered flooring. The hole needs
to have very clean and sharp edges.

Harbor Freight sells a diamond hole saw set for 6.99 (# 32399). Will a
diamond hole saw make clean cuts in wood, or will it chew up the edges of
the hole?

Is there anything that would work better than a diamond hole saw? An auger
bit or a Forstner bit?

Thanks

--
Walter
www.rationality.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2006-07-17, Walter R. wrote:

I need to cut a 3/4" hole in a piece of engineered flooring. The
hole needs to have very clean and sharp edges. Harbor Freight sells
a diamond hole saw set for 6.99 (# 32399). Will a diamond hole saw
make clean cuts in wood, or will it chew up the edges of the hole?

I'm not expert, but I'm pretty sure that diamonds are used on
materials that need to be abraded (e.g. metal, stone), while wood
needs to be cut for a clean edge. I think your best bet is a sharp
Forstner bit.

Cheers, Wayne

Posted to alt.home.repair

Walter R. wrote:
I need to cut a 3/4" hole in a piece of engineered flooring. The hole needs
to have very clean and sharp edges.

Harbor Freight sells a diamond hole saw set for 6.99 (# 32399). Will a
diamond hole saw make clean cuts in wood, or will it chew up the edges of
the hole?

Is there anything that would work better than a diamond hole saw? An auger
bit or a Forstner bit?

Thanks

--
Walter
www.rationality.net

a diamond bit will burn a hole. i think a regular hole saw will work
better. a forstner bit would be the thing, but only if you have a
drill press. A brad point is another good option. even a spade bit,
the kind with the leader points on the sides would probably work OK.
-

Posted to alt.home.repair

I just did a bunch of flooring.
I used a new spade bit and the holes look fine.

A forstner or even a wood boring bit would work too.

I wouldn't use a hole saw because they tend to walk until the saw part
starts to actually cut.

I don't know if they make one in 3/4", but a plug cutter could work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Walter R. wrote:

I need to cut a 3/4" hole in a piece of engineered flooring. The hole needs
to have very clean and sharp edges.

Harbor Freight sells a diamond hole saw set for 6.99 (# 32399). Will a
diamond hole saw make clean cuts in wood, or will it chew up the edges of
the hole?

Is there anything that would work better than a diamond hole saw? An auger
bit or a Forstner bit?

Thanks

Use a good Forstner. It cuts and won't walk on you. The diamond hole saw
just grinds and will burn your hole, that's if it gets through the
flooring before smoking you out.

--
Grandpa

What is that dripping from my fingers?
Why it looks like time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Walter R." wrote in message
I need to cut a 3/4" hole in a piece of engineered flooring. The hole needs
to have very clean and sharp edges.

Harbor Freight sells a diamond hole saw set for 6.99 (# 32399). Will a
diamond hole saw make clean cuts in wood, or will it chew up the edges of
the hole?

Is there anything that would work better than a diamond hole saw? An
auger bit or a Forstner bit?

Thanks

--
Walter
www.rationality.net

Do you really expect anything from Harbor Freight to give you a perfect
hole? I wouldn't.
A diamond saw will not work well in wood. Go to Lee Valley's website and
order yourself either a
3/4" Forstner or brad point bit. The forstner will mandate a much steadier
hand (or drill press) but should give
you a superior hole.
Cheers,
cc

Posted to alt.home.repair

Walter R. wrote:
I need to cut a 3/4" hole in a piece of engineered flooring. The hole
needs to have very clean and sharp edges.

But, over time, the hole won't stay that way. Consider an ordinary hole with
a plastic, cable access, shim/plug.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com,
says...

Walter R. wrote:
I need to cut a 3/4" hole in a piece of engineered flooring. The hole needs
to have very clean and sharp edges.

Harbor Freight sells a diamond hole saw set for 6.99 (# 32399). Will a
diamond hole saw make clean cuts in wood, or will it chew up the edges of
the hole?

Is there anything that would work better than a diamond hole saw? An auger
bit or a Forstner bit?

Thanks

--
Walter
www.rationality.net

a diamond bit will burn a hole. i think a regular hole saw will work
better. a forstner bit would be the thing, but only if you have a
drill press. A brad point is another good option. even a spade bit,
the kind with the leader points on the sides would probably work OK.

You don't need a drill press for a 3/4" Forstner bit. A cordless
drill will work fine. ;-)

--
Keith

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you're lucky, the flooring is not yet down. No matter what type of
drill bit you use, drill only half way down and then flip the board over
and finish the cut. This will avoid splintering as the bit completes
the cut.

HeyBub wrote:
Walter R. wrote:
I need to cut a 3/4" hole in a piece of engineered flooring. The hole
needs to have very clean and sharp edges.

But, over time, the hole won't stay that way. Consider an ordinary hole with
a plastic, cable access, shim/plug.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"James "Cubby" Culbertson" wrote in message
. ..

"Walter R." wrote in message
[...]

I bought the HF Forstners in a weak moment. They didn't even have an edge
or any sharpness to the lead edge of the tooth. Save yourself the headache
and follow the suggestions of the others - especially the suggestion to
drill half way and then, complete the hole from the other side. You will
need to have your drill straight so the the intersection of the 'two' holes
is accurate or you will have a ridge in the center.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"C & E" wrote in message
I bought the HF Forstners in a weak moment. They didn't even have an edge
or any sharpness to the lead edge of the tooth.

That's why I recommended buying a quality bit from Lee Valley. I will buy a
bunch of stuff from HF for the stuff I don't need precision or long life.
In fact, all my vehicles have a set of tools by HF. I won't buy stuff
where I need precision or quality results (ie. drill bits, chisels, etc...).
Cheers,
cc

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've used a diamond hole saw on wood and it does work, but slowly (about 1 minute for 3/4" pine. The top of the hole was cleanly cut, but there was black scorching inside the hole, and a rough exit hole. I made a video of all of this on youtube. You can watch it he https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6cMfDtzQu8
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 20 Jun 2017 14:12:33 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I've used a diamond hole saw on wood and it does work, but slowly (about 1 minute for 3/4" pine. The top of the hole was cleanly cut, but there was black scorching inside the hole, and a rough exit hole. I made a video of all of this on youtube. You can watch it he
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6cMfDtzQu8

It's possible to get the saw so hot that it weakens the braze that holds the diamonds in place.
In other words, it could be a quick trick for cleaning the diamonds off the saw... ;-)

--
croy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/21/2017 2:14 PM, croy wrote:
On Tue, 20 Jun 2017 14:12:33 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I've used a diamond hole saw on wood and it does work, but slowly (about 1 minute for 3/4" pine. The top of the hole was cleanly cut, but there was black scorching inside the hole, and a rough exit hole. I made a video of all of this on youtube. You can watch it he
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6cMfDtzQu8

It's possible to get the saw so hot that it weakens the braze that holds the diamonds in place.
In other words, it could be a quick trick for cleaning the diamonds off the saw... ;-)

That was my thinking too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 21 Jun 2017 11:14:56 -0700, croy
wrote:

On Tue, 20 Jun 2017 14:12:33 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I've used a diamond hole saw on wood and it does work, but slowly (about 1 minute for 3/4" pine. The top of the hole was cleanly cut, but there was black scorching inside the hole, and a rough exit hole. I made a video of all of this on youtube. You can watch it he
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6cMfDtzQu8

It's possible to get the saw so hot that it weakens the braze that holds the diamonds in place.
In other words, it could be a quick trick for cleaning the diamonds off the saw... ;-)

The big question is WHY WOULD YOU?????
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to clare, ThriftyTani wrote:
Someone wanted to drill a hole in marble, but also needed to cut a hole
through the wood that was underneath it. He wanted to know if he needed spend
an extra $10-25 on a wood hole saw just to cut 1 or 2 holes.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...od-129203-.htm