Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
HerHusband HerHusband is offline

Default Largest wood hole-saw ?

I had my bicep tendon reattached to my elbow earlier this year. 12
weeks later the surgeon said I could resume all normal activities.

Ouch!

"My Dewalt drill has no problem, but when the saw binds ... it
will practically rip your arm off ...."
I don't think having an 18V Dewalt drill bind up was on his list of
"normal activities".

I bought my Dewalt DW246 "corded" drill a few years ago when we were
plumbing our house. I chose it specifically for it's low speed and high
torque. My primary use was driving a 2" self-feeding auger bit for running
drain and vent pipes. Every other drill I had owned (including an old
heavy duty monster I inherited from my dad) would simply bog down when in a
bind. So I was completely unprepared for the torque of the tiny little
DW246. The first time the auger hit a knot and spun ME around into the
wall was a painful learning experience. Since then I always try to brace
the extra handle against a firm support like a stud or wall, and I always
take it as slow as possible in case it does bind.

Just last weekend I was drilling a 4-1/2" hole for a dryer duct, standing
on a ladder in my in-laws basement. Despite bracing the extra handle
against the foundation wall, the hole saw still bound and slammed my hand
into the joists and foundation a few times. Thankfully I was well balanced
so I didn't get knocked off the ladder.

It's an awesome tool, but it does demand respect.

Anthony