Posted to rec.woodworking

Default A diamond hole saw for wood?

I need to cut a 3/4" hole in a piece of finished hardwood. The hole needs to
have very clean and sharp edges.

Harbor Freight sells a diamond hole saw set for 6.99 (# 32399). Will a
diamond hole saw make clean cuts in wood, or will it chew up the edges of
the hole?

Is there anything that would work better than a diamond hole saw? An auger
bit or a Forstner bit?

Thanks

--
Walter
www.rationality.net

Posted to rec.woodworking

Yes, 3 winged cabide tipped x 1/2 shank, piloted drill.

http://www.patwarner.com (Routing & drilling)
************************************************** ************************
Walter R. wrote:
I need to cut a 3/4" hole in a piece of finished hardwood. The hole needs to
have very clean and sharp edges.

Harbor Freight sells a diamond hole saw set for 6.99 (# 32399). Will a
diamond hole saw make clean cuts in wood, or will it chew up the edges of
the hole?

Is there anything that would work better than a diamond hole saw? An auger
bit or a Forstner bit?

Thanks

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Pass on the Harbor Fright junk. Get a forstner bit. (Not from HF)

Dave

Agreed.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,180,42240
$6.20 for the nicer (HSS) 3/4" forstner from Lee Valley.
I have a set and they work beautifully - no tearing when drilling into
wood (haven't observed exit holes). If you need to drill all the way
through a board and both sides are visible, you might try drilling in
from both sides.
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Walter R." wrote in message
I need to cut a 3/4" hole in a piece of finished hardwood. The hole needs
to have very clean and sharp edges.

Harbor Freight sells a diamond hole saw set for 6.99 (# 32399). Walter
www.rationality.net

I find humor in this. You want a perfect cut hole, you are considering a
Harbor Freight tool, and you have a web page dedicated to rationality.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 21:33:58 GMT, "Walter R." wrote:

I need to cut a 3/4" hole in a piece of finished hardwood. The hole needs to
have very clean and sharp edges.

Use a Forstner.

However Forstners vary a lot in quality and although the cheap ones do
still give quite a neat finish, they barely cut at all unless you do
some hand sharpening work beforehand. So get a decent one instead!

You'll also find that most "Forstners" are actually sawtooth bits. These
are better into end grain, but they don't cut such a clean hole.

A diamond hole saw would be slightly less use than a knife and fork.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Philosophy is not of much help, if you try to cut a clean hole into an
engineered piece of flooring. That's why I depend on people with empirical
knowledge, like you. :-)

Thank you

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. com...

"Walter R." wrote in message
I need to cut a 3/4" hole in a piece of finished hardwood. The hole needs
to have very clean and sharp edges.

Harbor Freight sells a diamond hole saw set for 6.99 (# 32399). Walter
www.rationality.net

I find humor in this. You want a perfect cut hole, you are considering a
Harbor Freight tool, and you have a web page dedicated to rationality.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Walter R. wrote:
I need to cut a 3/4" hole in a piece of finished hardwood. The hole needs to
have very clean and sharp edges.

plunge router and template.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Walter R." wrote in message
Philosophy is not of much help, if you try to cut a clean hole into an
engineered piece of flooring. That's why I depend on people with empirical
knowledge, like you. :-)

Thank you

--
Walter
www.rationality.net

Sure it helps. A rational person would not buy a Harbor Freight tool to make
a perfect cut. Did it really go over your head?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hi

I do not think a diamond hole saw by any manufacturer would work well.
Basically there is no place for the sawdust to go, thus little
cutting, mostly rubbing and burning. Even toothed hole saws tend to
have problems clearing the sawdust.

Thanks
Roger haar
Tucson

Walter R. wrote:
I need to cut a 3/4" hole in a piece of finished hardwood. The hole needs to
have very clean and sharp edges.

Harbor Freight sells a diamond hole saw set for 6.99 (# 32399). Will a
diamond hole saw make clean cuts in wood, or will it chew up the edges of
the hole?

Is there anything that would work better than a diamond hole saw? An auger
bit or a Forstner bit?

Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

Diamond blades abrade rather then cut. Sharp edges (like chisels and
plane irons and Forstner bits and saws) cut. On wood, cutting is
always better than abrading.

-Zz