Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Default Largest wood hole-saw ?

On Oct 27, 12:28*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Oct 27, 11:30*am, HerHusband wrote:

What is the largest, commonly-used wood hole-saw that one would
find in a big box store such as Lowe's or*Home Depot ?
4 inches, *or bigger ??
Anything larger than 6 inches you would be better off using a jig saw
and a compass attachment.

The biggest hole saw I have bought from Lowes is 4-1/2", and I don't know
that I would want to go much larger. When the saw gets that large, you need
a powerful drill to turn it. *My Dewalt drill has no problem, but when the
saw binds (common with the larger sizes) it will practically rip your arm
off if you're not well braced. *Whenever possible, I adjust the extra
handle so it rests against a stud or other solid object to counteract the
kickback when the saw binds.

I find accurate holes are useful up to the 3" to 4" range for things like
electrical boxes, pipes, or dryer ducts. But when the hole gets larger I
usually just draw the opening with a compass or something, then cut it
freehand with a jig saw.

Anthony

"My Dewalt drill has no problem, but when the saw binds ... it
will practically rip your arm off ...."

I had my bicep tendon reattached to my elbow earlier this year. 12
weeks later the surgeon said I could resume all normal activities.

I don't think having an 18V Dewalt drill bind up was on his list of
"normal activities".

My whole arm was sore for 3 days.- Hide quoted text -

What was the cause of the bicep/tendon problem?