Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default ?? about drilling deep hole in wood

I have a friend who brought a project by the other day. He has a bunch
( 60 + - ) 1"x1"x8" hardwood blocks that need to have a 3/16" hole
drilled through the center (long ways) . Any ideas on the best,
fastest way to do this? I was thinking of putting them in the 4 jaw &
drill with a normal length drill, then switch to a 12" bit, but I only
have about 3" of travel on the tailstock ram. So, I thought I could
make some makeshift drill bit holder and mount in place of the tool
post and use the carrige to drill the hole. Any ideas would be
helpful, thanks,
Craig

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

monkers wrote:
I have a friend who brought a project by the other day. He has a bunch
( 60 + - ) 1"x1"x8" hardwood blocks that need to have a 3/16" hole
drilled through the center (long ways) . Any ideas on the best,
fastest way to do this? I was thinking of putting them in the 4 jaw &
drill with a normal length drill, then switch to a 12" bit, but I only
have about 3" of travel on the tailstock ram. So, I thought I could
make some makeshift drill bit holder and mount in place of the tool
post and use the carrige to drill the hole. Any ideas would be
helpful, thanks,
Craig

theres nothing to stop you from putting the tailstock between the cross
slide and the headstock, tying them together with some string and
doing it that way.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

monkers wrote:
I have a friend who brought a project by the other day. He has a bunch
( 60 + - ) 1"x1"x8" hardwood blocks that need to have a 3/16" hole
drilled through the center (long ways) . Any ideas on the best,
fastest way to do this? I was thinking of putting them in the 4 jaw &
drill with a normal length drill, then switch to a 12" bit, but I only
have about 3" of travel on the tailstock ram. So, I thought I could
make some makeshift drill bit holder and mount in place of the tool
post and use the carrige to drill the hole. Any ideas would be
helpful, thanks,
Craig

Just push the entire tialstock up and down the ways by hand,
occasionally pulling it back to clear the chips.

Paul

It's a Linux world....well, it oughta be.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

According to monkers :
I have a friend who brought a project by the other day. He has a bunch
( 60 + - ) 1"x1"x8" hardwood blocks that need to have a 3/16" hole
drilled through the center (long ways) . Any ideas on the best,
fastest way to do this? I was thinking of putting them in the 4 jaw &
drill with a normal length drill, then switch to a 12" bit, but I only
have about 3" of travel on the tailstock ram. So, I thought I could
make some makeshift drill bit holder and mount in place of the tool
post and use the carrige to drill the hole. Any ideas would be
helpful, thanks,

What kind of toolpost do you have? If you have a quick-change
toolpost by Aloris, or one of the semi-clones (by Phase-II or several
other makers) there are tool holders with a Morse taper socket. Install
this, put in a drill chuck with arbor, carefully center it relative to
the spindle, and then chuck your drill and feed with the carriage
handwheel.

Or -- if you already have the boring bar holder for such a
quick-change toolpost, you may be able to find a cylindrical to Morse
taper adaptor to reduce that to the size of Morse taper you need.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

a llittle more detail on my rather terse reply about a lamp auger
1. on headstock side, when I said "between centers", I should have said -
make a fixture on a faceplate to center the block
2. on the tailstock side, use a live center where you can remove the
central point and then you can drill through - these centers (for
woodworking) can have a removable center point and around that a sharp
ring - Technatools makes them, and maybe others

"Paul" wrote in message
. ..
monkers wrote:
I have a friend who brought a project by the other day. He has a bunch
( 60 + - ) 1"x1"x8" hardwood blocks that need to have a 3/16" hole
drilled through the center (long ways) . Any ideas on the best,
fastest way to do this? I was thinking of putting them in the 4 jaw &
drill with a normal length drill, then switch to a 12" bit, but I only
have about 3" of travel on the tailstock ram. So, I thought I could
make some makeshift drill bit holder and mount in place of the tool
post and use the carrige to drill the hole. Any ideas would be
helpful, thanks,
Craig

Just push the entire tialstock up and down the ways by hand, occasionally
pulling it back to clear the chips.

Paul

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 7, 4:51 pm, monkers wrote:
I have a friend who brought a project by the other day. He has a bunch
( 60 + - ) 1"x1"x8" hardwood blocks that need to have a 3/16" hole
drilled through the center (long ways) . Any ideas on the best,
fastest way to do this? I was thinking of putting them in the 4 jaw &
drill with a normal length drill, then switch to a 12" bit, but I only
have about 3" of travel on the tailstock ram. So, I thought I could
make some makeshift drill bit holder and mount in place of the tool
post and use the carrige to drill the hole. Any ideas would be
helpful, thanks,
Craig

That's a really skinny hole for the length, even drilling from each
end you're going to have a LOT of wander. Best bet is to split the
blocks, rout the groove in each half and glue back together. Today's
glues give a bond stronger than the wood itself. Would be a WHOLE lot
faster than pecking away with a bendy twist drill. If you only need
some kind of clearance for a rod or tube, kerf the split chunks
lengthwise with a circular saw, would be faster than a router.

For larger diameter holes, you can make up a center spud for the drill
press, the spud goes in a hole exactly on the quill axis. The center
is marked and punched on each end of the block, then one end is held
on the spud while drilling commences at the center mark on the other
end. Half-way through, you flip the block and drill back the other
direction. If you use something like a Forstner bit, the holes should
meet. Works for through-holes in gun buttstocks anyway.

Stan