Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
William Noble William Noble is offline

Default ?? about drilling deep hole in wood

a llittle more detail on my rather terse reply about a lamp auger
1. on headstock side, when I said "between centers", I should have said -
make a fixture on a faceplate to center the block
2. on the tailstock side, use a live center where you can remove the
central point and then you can drill through - these centers (for
woodworking) can have a removable center point and around that a sharp
ring - Technatools makes them, and maybe others

"Paul" wrote in message
. ..
monkers wrote:
I have a friend who brought a project by the other day. He has a bunch
( 60 + - ) 1"x1"x8" hardwood blocks that need to have a 3/16" hole
drilled through the center (long ways) . Any ideas on the best,
fastest way to do this? I was thinking of putting them in the 4 jaw &
drill with a normal length drill, then switch to a 12" bit, but I only
have about 3" of travel on the tailstock ram. So, I thought I could
make some makeshift drill bit holder and mount in place of the tool
post and use the carrige to drill the hole. Any ideas would be
helpful, thanks,
Craig

Just push the entire tialstock up and down the ways by hand, occasionally
pulling it back to clear the chips.

Paul