Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ted frater ted frater is offline

Default ?? about drilling deep hole in wood

monkers wrote:
I have a friend who brought a project by the other day. He has a bunch
( 60 + - ) 1"x1"x8" hardwood blocks that need to have a 3/16" hole
drilled through the center (long ways) . Any ideas on the best,
fastest way to do this? I was thinking of putting them in the 4 jaw &
drill with a normal length drill, then switch to a 12" bit, but I only
have about 3" of travel on the tailstock ram. So, I thought I could
make some makeshift drill bit holder and mount in place of the tool
post and use the carrige to drill the hole. Any ideas would be
helpful, thanks,
Craig

theres nothing to stop you from putting the tailstock between the cross
slide and the headstock, tying them together with some string and
doing it that way.