Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replace Sears circular saw?

Do they really stand behind the lifetime guarantee?

My saw is so old I no longer have the paperwork. I brought it out the
other day and it would hardly cut. I don't think it's the blade; I
either had it sharpened or I replaced it not that long ago. It roars
a lot, but doesn't cut much.

If I walk into the local Sears and request a replacement, will they
waterboard me for info I don't have, or give me a new saw, per lifeime
guarantee? or...?

Your experience appreciated.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Higgs Boson wrote:
Do they really stand behind the lifetime guarantee?

My saw is so old I no longer have the paperwork. I brought it out the
other day and it would hardly cut. I don't think it's the blade; I
either had it sharpened or I replaced it not that long ago. It roars
a lot, but doesn't cut much.

If I walk into the local Sears and request a replacement, will they
waterboard me for info I don't have, or give me a new saw, per lifeime
guarantee? or...?

Your experience appreciated.

I think there's only a lifetime guarantee on Craftsman brand hand tools,
so they'll just probably tell you "no."

Are we talking about a table saw or a hand held saw? If a table saw and
the motor is just weak, it might be more economical to just replace the
motor with a better one.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/16/2009 4:16 PM Nate Nagel spake thus:

Higgs Boson wrote:

Do they really stand behind the lifetime guarantee?

My saw is so old I no longer have the paperwork. I brought it out the
other day and it would hardly cut. I don't think it's the blade; I
either had it sharpened or I replaced it not that long ago. It roars
a lot, but doesn't cut much.

If I walk into the local Sears and request a replacement, will they
waterboard me for info I don't have, or give me a new saw, per lifeime
guarantee? or...?

Are we talking about a table saw or a hand held saw? If a table saw and
the motor is just weak, it might be more economical to just replace the
motor with a better one.

No, I'll bet the OP is talking about a handheld circular saw. Try a new
blade first, for chrissakes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Worn bearings can cause it to roar, and if it's really bad, I would
probably replace it. But if the blade is spinning at a good speed and
it's not cutting, then either the blade is dull or the wrong kind for
what you're trying to cut.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I probably should have asked first what kind of saw you're talking
about. I was assuming you meant a circular saw, but I guess you could
mean a chain saw...

And just to cover the "silly" factor... If you haven't used it in a
long time, make sure you don't have the blade/chain on backwards.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 16, 4:16*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:
Do they really stand behind the lifetime guarantee?

My saw is so old I no longer have the paperwork. *I brought it out the
other day and it would hardly cut. *I don't think it's the blade; I
either had it sharpened or I replaced it not that long ago. *It roars
a lot, but doesn't cut much.

If I walk into the local Sears and request a replacement, will they
waterboard me for info I don't have, or give me a new saw, per lifeime
guarantee? *or...?

Your experience appreciated.

I think there's only a lifetime guarantee on Craftsman brand hand tools,
so they'll just probably tell you "no."

Oops! I didn't know that. You saved me some embarrasment, if that's
the case.

Are we talking about a table saw or a hand held saw? *If a table saw and
the motor is just weak, it might be more economical to just replace the
motor with a better one.

Hand-held. Guess I'll look for one on sale, or good used.

Do you have any not- too- expensive brand recommendations for casual
home user..mainly rough cuts?

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 16, 5:02*pm, Larry Fishel wrote:
Worn bearings can cause it to roar, and if it's really bad, I would
probably replace it. But if the blade is spinning at a good speed and
it's not cutting, then either the blade is dull or the wrong kind for
what you're trying to cut.

Tx. Will double-check as soon as I get the cast off my L. wrist
(accident happened AFTER I tried the saw -- no connection.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Higgs Boson wrote:
Do they really stand behind the lifetime guarantee?

My saw is so old I no longer have the paperwork. I brought it out the
other day and it would hardly cut. I don't think it's the blade; I
either had it sharpened or I replaced it not that long ago. It roars
a lot, but doesn't cut much.

If I walk into the local Sears and request a replacement, will they
waterboard me for info I don't have, or give me a new saw, per lifeime
guarantee? or...?

Your experience appreciated.

Hi,
If blade is not the problem. Check brushes on the motor.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Higgs Boson wrote:
Do they really stand behind the lifetime guarantee?

My saw is so old I no longer have the paperwork. I brought it out the
other day and it would hardly cut. I don't think it's the blade; I
either had it sharpened or I replaced it not that long ago. It roars
a lot, but doesn't cut much.

If I walk into the local Sears and request a replacement, will they
waterboard me for info I don't have, or give me a new saw, per lifeime
guarantee? or...?

Your experience appreciated.

I don't think they give a lifetime warranty on any power tools.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Larry Fishel wrote:
Worn bearings can cause it to roar, and if it's really bad, I would
probably replace it. But if the blade is spinning at a good speed and
it's not cutting, then either the blade is dull or the wrong kind for
what you're trying to cut.

Or, quite possibly, on backwards.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Higgs Boson wrote:

Hand-held. Guess I'll look for one on sale, or good used.

Do you have any not- too- expensive brand recommendations for casual
home user..mainly rough cuts?

Is $40.00 too much?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/16/2009 4:10 PM Higgs Boson spake thus:

Do they really stand behind the lifetime guarantee?

Doesn't apply to power tools like this, apparently, as others here have
stated.

My saw is so old I no longer have the paperwork. I brought it out the
other day and it would hardly cut. I don't think it's the blade; I
either had it sharpened or I replaced it not that long ago. It roars
a lot, but doesn't cut much.

Question: does it "roar" more than it did before? Do you remember how
noisy it use to be? Keep in mind that circular saws are generally noisy
beasts.

If it seems about as loud as before, probably nothing wrong with the saw
itself. Either the blade is dull, or installed backwards (which would
certainly explain poor cutting).

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:
Hand-held. Guess I'll look for one on sale, or good used.

Do you have any not- too- expensive brand recommendations for casual
home user..mainly rough cuts?

Is $40.00 too much?

I'd actually go to a pawn shop and see if I could find a contractor
grade one for cheap. probably last a lifetime.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Blade on backwards? OK, stop laughing.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Larry Fishel" wrote in message
Worn bearings can cause it to roar, and if it's really bad,
I would
probably replace it. But if the blade is spinning at a good
speed and
it's not cutting, then either the blade is dull or the wrong
kind for
what you're trying to cut.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Harbor Freight comes to mind. No worries, they likely get
that question often enough.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Higgs Boson" wrote in message

Oops! I didn't know that. You saved me some embarrasment,
if that's
the case.

Hand-held. Guess I'll look for one on sale, or good used.

Do you have any not- too- expensive brand recommendations
for casual
home user..mainly rough cuts?

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hmm. This being usenet, should we belive you?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Higgs Boson" wrote in message

Tx. Will double-check as soon as I get the cast off my L.
wrist
(accident happened AFTER I tried the saw -- no connection.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Higgs Boson wrote:

Do they really stand behind the lifetime guarantee?

If you mean their guarantee of satisfaction, not nearly as well as
they did when they were the biggest retailer on planet Earth. The
question is, did they quit honoring that warranty because they're no
longer the biggest, or are they no longer the biggest because they
quit honoring that warranty?

I don't believe Sears ever warranted power tools for life, just most
hand Craftsman tools, but excepted from that lifetime warranty are
Craftsman measuring tools (calipers, torque wrenches) and cutting
tools (saw blades, drill bits, router bits).

My saw is so old I no longer have the paperwork. I brought it out the
other day and it would hardly cut. I don't think it's the blade; I
either had it sharpened or I replaced it not that long ago. It roars
a lot, but doesn't cut much.

Could it be the motor brushes?

If the Sears part number is still legible, try Sears.com since they
have service information for quite a few of their products and other
brands.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 16, 8:10*pm, Larry Fishel wrote:
I probably should have asked first what kind of saw you're talking
about.

Oops, completely missed the subject line...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 21:26:39 -0400, Nate Nagel
wrote:

HeyBub wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:
Hand-held. Guess I'll look for one on sale, or good used.

Do you have any not- too- expensive brand recommendations for casual
home user..mainly rough cuts?

Is $40.00 too much?

I'd actually go to a pawn shop and see if I could find a contractor
grade one for cheap. probably last a lifetime.

nate

My dad worked construction all his life. For a while he bought
"contractor grade" saws. Instead of them going bad they would just
need "work", like new bearings, brushes, etc. Which was more trouble
then just buying new. About halfway thru his career he switched to
just buying a cheap skill saw and throwing it out at the end of a job.
Also, the "good stuff" was usually a lot heavier which make them more
tiresome to use. That may not be as true today since so much stuff,
even good stuff, is made of plastic.

My experience as a non-pro for stuff like this is that what works well
is not necessarily the absolute cheapest. I get inexpensive stuff
with a warranty good enough to make it thru the early failure period.
They last a long time for occasional use.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Blade on backwards? OK, stop laughing.

There are times when the blade is purposely put on backwards, like to
cut through vinyl siding on a house. It sort of melts it's way through
without cracking the old vinyl. The saw that only gets used 2 times a
year gets forgotten about and there you have it, a blade on backwards.

Not to mention that most or all new saw blades have the rotation marked
on it with arrows. Evidently some people need the arrows or they
wouldn't be there. Me? I manage quite well without the arrows but for
some people they change the blade, installing a used blade with the
arrows worn off, and oops. Sounds stupid, but some people simply don't
have the ability to look and understand mechanical things the way we do.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Oct 16, 6:50*pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:

snip

No, I'll bet the OP is talking about a handheld circular saw. Try a new
blade first, for chrissakes.

And this time put it on so the arrow goes in the correct way for the
rotation;

Joe