Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Looking for a replacement base for my Sears circular saw (purchased in 1970)

My trusty Sears 7" circular saw (called an electric handsaw when I bought
it) fell off a high place and put a very bad bend in the base. All my
fault. Sears doesn't carry that part anymore and I can't find anything on
eBay or a google search. Does anyone know a source for these things or at
least a place to start hunting or am I out the money for a new circular saw?
If it of any interest, the Sears model number is 315.27782.

TIA

Dick Snyder

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 17, 12:35 pm, "Dick Snyder"
wrote:
My trusty Sears 7" circular saw (called an electric handsaw when I bought
it) fell off a high place and put a very bad bend in the base. All my
fault. Sears doesn't carry that part anymore and I can't find anything on
eBay or a google search. Does anyone know a source for these things or at
least a place to start hunting or am I out the money for a new circular saw?
If it of any interest, the Sears model number is 315.27782.

We need to talk about your unhealthy attachment to a Sears 7" circular
saw...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jeff wrote in
:

On Dec 17, 12:35 pm, "Dick Snyder"
wrote:
My trusty Sears 7" circular saw (called an electric handsaw when I
bought it) fell off a high place and put a very bad bend in the
base. All my fault. Sears doesn't carry that part anymore and I can't
find anything on eBay or a google search. Does anyone know a source
for these things or at least a place to start hunting or am I out the
money for a new circular saw? If it of any interest, the Sears model
number is 315.27782.

We need to talk about your unhealthy attachment to a Sears 7" circular
saw...

Learn something everyday. I never heard the circular saw called an electric
hand saw before. Makes sense.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dick.... buddy.... come on....

If you have had that thing 30 years and it has given satisfactory
service, you should be giving it a Viking's funeral. Take it from me,
a great deal of those less expensive, medium quality tools just aren't
worth fixing.

I used those saws in the 70s when framing houses. I used to go to the
pawn shops and buy them for $20 - $25 a piece and run them to death.
They were perfect saws for my knotheads, and I sure didn't want them
using my Rockwells or Milwaukees.

Do yourself a favor and get a new double insulated,
15 amp saw with metal gears, roller bearings and easy to replace
brushes. You will forget about that old Sears pretty damn quick after
using one of the newer saws out there. Plan on spending more than we
used to in the 70s though, probably in the $125 - $150 for a good
saw.

There are plenty of saws out there less than $75 bucks or so, but they
usually have sleeved shafts (no bearings) and are made from lousy
components.

I know what it is like to have a favorite tool and get attached to
it. I recently went on Ebay and found an old Milwaukee saw (exactly
like I used in the early 80s) that has been discontinued for about 20
years. I bought it in a fit of sentimentality and I am glad I did.
It is great, but I never take it to the job as I know there aren't any
more of them, and certainly no parts other than triggers and bearings.

But honestly Dick.... time to buy.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 17, 12:35 pm, "Dick Snyder"
wrote:
My trusty Sears 7" circular saw (called an electric handsaw when I bought
it) fell off a high place and put a very bad bend in the base. All my
fault. Sears doesn't carry that part anymore and I can't find anything on
eBay or a google search. Does anyone know a source for these things or at
least a place to start hunting or am I out the money for a new circular saw?
If it of any interest, the Sears model number is 315.27782.

TIA

Dick Snyder

You might consider reusing it as an anchor.
Joe
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
[...]

You may be right. Consumer Reports lists a Rigid as their CR Best Buy at
$110 just behind their top rated Milwaukee at $150. A quick check at Home
Depot, about the only place that sells Rigid, has it for $99.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 18, 1:46 am, "
wrote:
Plan on spending more than we
used to in the 70s though, probably in the $125 - $150 for a good
saw.

On the contrary, I claim he will spend considerably less money now
than he did in 1970. One hundred and fifty 2007 dollars is the
equivalent of $27.69 1970 dollars. He probably spent more than $27.69
on his precious Sears electric hand saw...

Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 18, 6:12 am, "Dick Snyder"
wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

While I got the CPI calculator up, here's further reference: $99 2007
dollars is equal to $18.28 1970 dollars. Get yourself the damn
Rigid...

Cheers,
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 12:35:42 -0500, "Dick Snyder"
wrote:

My trusty Sears 7" circular saw (called an electric handsaw when I bought
it) fell off a high place and put a very bad bend in the base. All my
fault. Sears doesn't carry that part anymore and I can't find anything on
eBay or a google search. Does anyone know a source for these things or at
least a place to start hunting or am I out the money for a new circular saw?
If it of any interest, the Sears model number is 315.27782.

TIA

Dick Snyder

Dick, I have a 315.11820 that's about that same vintage. I let the
smoke out of it the other day, so I now have an opportunity to replace
it with a "good" saw. I have no idea whether or not any of the parts
might be interchangeable, but if you can find out if the base will
work on yours, you're welcome to it.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA
Posted to rec.woodworking

If you're going to buy a new one don't forget to consider the blade right vs left
models. I used the old standard blade right for decades before buying my
blade left PC 743K. I really like almost everything about this saw, especially
being able to see the blade cutting the line. The only downside is that it blows
more sawdust in my face than the blade right models but this is a minor price
to pay for the other benefits.
Art

"Dick Snyder" wrote in message
. ..

[snip]
You may be right. Consumer Reports lists a Rigid as their CR Best Buy at
$110 just behind their top rated Milwaukee at $150. A quick check at Home
Depot, about the only place that sells Rigid, has it for $99.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jeff" wrote in message
On Dec 18, 6:12 am, "Dick Snyder"
wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Hi guys,

Thanks for all your advice. This newsgroup is the best. I bought the Ridgid
today at Home Depot. Additionally, I have a camp up at a lake in NH and from
time to time I wished I had a powered saw up there. That will be the new
home for what is left of my Craftsman.

Thanks again.

Dick

Circular saw base not flat -- standards too high? Mark Wells Woodworking 18 September 22nd 06 02:41 AM
1970.9.44.84 Knotbob Woodworking 7 January 14th 06 05:29 PM
Fence replacement for a Sears Contractor Table Saw slindars Woodworking 9 November 19th 04 02:12 AM
Alternate source for replacement bag for Sears Lawnmower Home Repair 7 October 31st 04 11:15 PM
GE Dishwasher Spray Arm base replacement D. E. Smith Electronics Repair 1 April 18th 04 07:49 AM