Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Circular saw base not flat -- standards too high?

I have a Dewalt circular saw. It's probably about 10 years old. I'm
working on a design for a panel saw, so I started analyzing my saw more
carefully. The base plate of the saw appears to be warped. If I put
it on a flat surface, one corner is up by about 5/64" (actually about
2.25mm). That seems unacceptably warped to me and probably explains
why the saw doesn't seem to cut that well. Are my standards too high?
Anybody else had a problem like this? I was considering flattening it
on sandpaper like a plane sole, but that seems like an awful lot of
metal to remove. Any other ideas? I have considered trying to bend
it, but it doesn't seem like that will work.

Mark

Posted to rec.woodworking

If I'm going to the trouble of building a full blown
panel saw and one of the key items is the saw, I
believe I would look into a higher quality saw.

A warped or distorted base will defeat the entire
project.

Mark Wells wrote:

I have a Dewalt circular saw. It's probably about 10 years old. I'm
working on a design for a panel saw, so I started analyzing my saw more
carefully. The base plate of the saw appears to be warped. If I put
it on a flat surface, one corner is up by about 5/64" (actually about
2.25mm). That seems unacceptably warped to me and probably explains
why the saw doesn't seem to cut that well. Are my standards too high?
Anybody else had a problem like this? I was considering flattening it
on sandpaper like a plane sole, but that seems like an awful lot of
metal to remove. Any other ideas? I have considered trying to bend
it, but it doesn't seem like that will work.

Mark

Posted to rec.woodworking

boorite wrote:
Supposedly, you "can't" bend a footplate like that one. The cheap
stamped ones, yes.

It seems to me that a lot, if not most, of the price difference between
circ saws is in the base plates. I don't think it's an exaggeration to
say a lot of the money in a high-end circ saw is the base plate. I'm
kinda thinking you may be headed for a new saw.

Given all the advice, I left my computer, went out to the shop, put the
base in the vise and twisted it. Sure enough, it was easy to bend.
Now it's not perfectly flat, but it is much closer.

I would think that a Dewalt saw would be toward the upper end in terms
of quality. Is this a problem with all circular saws? Makita, Dewalt,
Milwaukee all seem roughly in the same price range (except Festool, of
course) to me.

Okay, okay. I'll stop analyzing and get to work.

Mark

Posted to rec.woodworking

boorite wrote:

It is, and if it's magnesium, I don't know anything about sanding it.

Dead easy to sand, but remember to passivate it afterwards or you'll
get corrosion problems.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mark Wells wrote:
Given all the advice, I left my computer, went out to the shop, put the
base in the vise and twisted it. Sure enough, it was easy to bend.
Now it's not perfectly flat, but it is much closer.

I would think that a Dewalt saw would be toward the upper end in terms
of quality. Is this a problem with all circular saws? Makita, Dewalt,
Milwaukee all seem roughly in the same price range (except Festool, of
course) to me.

Uh, if it is that easy to bend, do you suppose it may have left
the factory flat and was bent later? Didn't you say it was like
10 years old?

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mark Wells" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a Dewalt circular saw. It's probably about 10 years old. I'm
working on a design for a panel saw, so I started analyzing my saw more
carefully. The base plate of the saw appears to be warped. If I put
it on a flat surface, one corner is up by about 5/64" (actually about
2.25mm). That seems unacceptably warped to me and probably explains
why the saw doesn't seem to cut that well. Are my standards too high?
Anybody else had a problem like this? I was considering flattening it
on sandpaper like a plane sole, but that seems like an awful lot of
metal to remove. Any other ideas? I have considered trying to bend
it, but it doesn't seem like that will work.

Mark

Mark,
Don't panic - its only a Dewalt. The sole plate is the least of your
worries. The real problem is the mounting for the plate, they are inherently
week. If I was building another (built one - sold it) panel saw, I would
not use the factory sole plate at all. I would build a new sole plate,
mounted to the saw permanently. With only enough movement to allow for
changing the blade and for accurate setting up of the blade angle to 90.
and it should have a replaceable zero clearance insert.

I sold my home-made panel saw to a local cabinet shop. They used it for
several years and now have closed down.

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking

Teamcasa wrote:
I would build a new sole plate,
mounted to the saw permanently. With only enough movement to allow for
changing the blade and for accurate setting up of the blade angle to 90.
and it should have a replaceable zero clearance insert.

I did notice that the attachment to the plate seemed weak, as well.

Permanently mounting the saw is a great idea! I don't even need the
depth adjustment when it is in the panel saw, so I can make the whole
fixture very solid.

Mark

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mark Wells wrote:

Given all the advice, I left my computer, went out to the shop, put the
base in the vise and twisted it. Sure enough, it was easy to bend.
Now it's not perfectly flat, but it is much closer.

Yeah, that's why I said "supposedly" and put "can't" in quotes. :-) I
swear I just read an article in FWW or PWW that said you *can't*
straighten that kind of footplate by bending. Which invites the
question of how it got bent in the first place.

But I think what they meant was that bending is no way to restore the
base plate to true. I have a feeling they're right. It's just my
impression that a saw with a cast base plate that's out of whack is a
lost cause.

I would think that a Dewalt saw would be toward the upper end in terms
of quality. Is this a problem with all circular saws?

It's definitely an issue on all models of circular saw. P-C, Milwaukee,
etc. are more likely than Skil or B&D to come out of the box with a
flat plate and to stay that way, but you can still get boned with a
crooked one.

What frustrates me is when the stupid thing is riveted onto the saw,
preventing any real tuning. I have an upper-bottom-end Skil Classic
that would be great, except the base is ever so slightly out of
parallel with the blade, and there's no way to adjust it. It's still
OK, but I'd pay $5 or $10 extra if it was put together more flexibly.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
boorite wrote:

It is, and if it's magnesium, I don't know anything about sanding it.

Dead easy to sand, but remember to passivate it afterwards or you'll
get corrosion problems.

See? I don't even know what that means. :-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"boorite" wrote in message
ups.com...

What frustrates me is when the stupid thing is riveted onto the saw,
preventing any real tuning. I have an upper-bottom-end Skil Classic
that would be great, except the base is ever so slightly out of
parallel with the blade, and there's no way to adjust it. It's still
OK, but I'd pay $5 or $10 extra if it was put together more flexibly.

You can drill out the rivets and put new ones in....

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

Can't saw that the plate on my Milwaukee is flat but can't say it isn't
either. Never checked but it doesn't rock when I use it.

"Mark Wells" wrote in message
oups.com...