Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Looking for a replacement base for my Sears circular saw(purchased in 1970)

Dick.... buddy.... come on....

If you have had that thing 30 years and it has given satisfactory
service, you should be giving it a Viking's funeral. Take it from me,
a great deal of those less expensive, medium quality tools just aren't
worth fixing.

I used those saws in the 70s when framing houses. I used to go to the
pawn shops and buy them for $20 - $25 a piece and run them to death.
They were perfect saws for my knotheads, and I sure didn't want them
using my Rockwells or Milwaukees.

Do yourself a favor and get a new double insulated,
15 amp saw with metal gears, roller bearings and easy to replace
brushes. You will forget about that old Sears pretty damn quick after
using one of the newer saws out there. Plan on spending more than we
used to in the 70s though, probably in the $125 - $150 for a good
saw.

There are plenty of saws out there less than $75 bucks or so, but they
usually have sleeved shafts (no bearings) and are made from lousy
components.

I know what it is like to have a favorite tool and get attached to
it. I recently went on Ebay and found an old Milwaukee saw (exactly
like I used in the early 80s) that has been discontinued for about 20
years. I bought it in a fit of sentimentality and I am glad I did.
It is great, but I never take it to the job as I know there aren't any
more of them, and certainly no parts other than triggers and bearings.

But honestly Dick.... time to buy.

Robert