Posted to alt.home.repair
Ashton Crusher[_2_] Ashton Crusher[_2_] is offline

Default Replace Sears circular saw?

On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 21:26:39 -0400, Nate Nagel
wrote:

HeyBub wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:
Hand-held. Guess I'll look for one on sale, or good used.

Do you have any not- too- expensive brand recommendations for casual
home user..mainly rough cuts?

Is $40.00 too much?

I'd actually go to a pawn shop and see if I could find a contractor
grade one for cheap. probably last a lifetime.

nate

My dad worked construction all his life. For a while he bought
"contractor grade" saws. Instead of them going bad they would just
need "work", like new bearings, brushes, etc. Which was more trouble
then just buying new. About halfway thru his career he switched to
just buying a cheap skill saw and throwing it out at the end of a job.
Also, the "good stuff" was usually a lot heavier which make them more
tiresome to use. That may not be as true today since so much stuff,
even good stuff, is made of plastic.

My experience as a non-pro for stuff like this is that what works well
is not necessarily the absolute cheapest. I get inexpensive stuff
with a warranty good enough to make it thru the early failure period.
They last a long time for occasional use.