Posted to alt.home.repair

Default identifying a electical circuit

The nice electricians that replace the knob and tube in my house
removed all the labels I had on the panel.

What can I use to identify the circuits for the baseboard heaters and
plugs and light?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
The nice electricians that replace the knob and tube in my house
removed all the labels I had on the panel.

What can I use to identify the circuits for the baseboard heaters and
plugs and light?

Test light and marker pen works for me

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
The nice electricians that replace the knob and tube in my house
removed all the labels I had on the panel.

What can I use to identify the circuits for the baseboard heaters and
plugs and light?

*A helper comes in handy. Some pros and homeowners use a radio plugged into
the outlets. A floorplan could be useful.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I like to use a new Sharpie (r) marker.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
The nice electricians that replace the knob and tube in my
house
removed all the labels I had on the panel.

What can I use to identify the circuits for the baseboard
heaters and
plugs and light?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 3, 2:15*pm, "Bob F" wrote:
wrote:
The nice electricians that replace the knob and tube in my house
removed all the labels I had on the panel.

What can I use to identify the circuits for the baseboard heaters and
plugs and light?

Someone else to tell you when the device goes off while you turn individual
breakers off. Make a list for all the outlets, lights, heaters, and other
devices, then label the breakers appropriately.

Do not enlist your significant other for this project. Things will
not go well.

Get a friend/neighbor/total stranger - someone who will not hold a
grudge after the yelling and screaming starts.

Trust me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 3, 3:53*am, wrote:
The nice electricians that replace the knob and tube in my house
removed all the labels I had on the panel. *

What can I use to identify the circuits for the baseboard heaters and
plugs and light?

I built an Excel spreadsheet detailing the inner workings of my
breaker box since I have rooms/areas that are controlled by more than
one breaker. Putting all the correct info on a little label next a
breaker would be impossible. I have entries such as:

Breaker 9 - Garage receptacles except for Breaker 10. Not garage
lights.
Breaker 10 - Dedicated freezer receptacle in Garage
Breaker 11 - Garage lights, exterior lights for front door and garage
door
Breaker 15 - NW bedroom plus upper landing light

I put the sheet in a plastic document holder and taped it to the
breaker box. Updating the sheet is a breeze when I make a change, add
a receptacle, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 3 Aug 2009 12:44:49 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Aug 3, 3:53*am, wrote:
[...]

North lighting N Lite
West power W Pwr
Makes it easy enough to find without getting too detailed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Aug 3, 2:15 pm, "Bob F" wrote:
wrote:
The nice electricians that replace the knob and tube in my house
removed all the labels I had on the panel.

What can I use to identify the circuits for the baseboard heaters
and plugs and light?

Someone else to tell you when the device goes off while you turn
individual breakers off. Make a list for all the outlets, lights,
heaters, and other devices, then label the breakers appropriately.

Do not enlist your significant other for this project. Things will
not go well.

Get a friend/neighbor/total stranger - someone who will not hold a
grudge after the yelling and screaming starts.

A pair of cheap walkie-talkies can help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 8/3/2009 3:44 PM (ET) DerbyDad03 wrote the following:
On Aug 3, 3:53 am, wrote:

[...]

Great idea! My 200 amp box is a mess with new circuits being installed,
and single breakers being replaced with dual breakers.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 8/3/2009 4:51 PM (ET) Bob F wrote the following:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Aug 3, 2:15 pm, "Bob F" wrote:

wrote:

The nice electricians that replace the knob and tube in my house
removed all the labels I had on the panel.

What can I use to identify the circuits for the baseboard heaters
and plugs and light?

Someone else to tell you when the device goes off while you turn
individual breakers off. Make a list for all the outlets, lights,
heaters, and other devices, then label the breakers appropriately.

Do not enlist your significant other for this project. Things will
not go well.

Get a friend/neighbor/total stranger - someone who will not hold a
grudge after the yelling and screaming starts.

A pair of cheap walkie-talkies can help.

There is also a tool that can help. Circuit Detective
(http://www.circuitdetective.com/). One part plugged into a outlet, and
the other part passed over the circuit box.. It will beep when the
outlet part is discovered. It can be used for a light fixture if a light
socket to outlet adapter is installed in the light socket.
Usual disclaimers apply.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/3/2009 5:31 AM HeyBub spake thus:

wrote:

The nice electricians that replace the knob and tube in my house
removed all the labels I had on the panel.

What can I use to identify the circuits for the baseboard heaters and
plugs and light?

HF has a circuit breaker detective:

I've got one and it works as expected.

Same here. Works fine.

I made one modification to correct a design defect, though. If you use
the receiver (the detector part) as-is, the battery (9 volt) will go
dead in no time flat. So I added a small slide switch on the front cover
to turn it off when not in use.

Posted to alt.home.repair

A pair of good walkie talkies can allow you to communicate.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Bob F" wrote in message

A pair of cheap walkie-talkies can help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
A pair of good walkie talkies can allow you to communicate.

Or, these days, a couple of cell phones.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Make it more challenging! Start at 10pm (after dark). Turn off all the
lights in the house, then turn off all breakers. Turn them back on one at a
time and have the helper run around the house with the tester trying to find
the outlets that are energized! (might want to move any breakables out of
the way!)

"Bob F" wrote in message
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Aug 3, 2:15 pm, "Bob F" wrote:
wrote:
The nice electricians that replace the knob and tube in my house
removed all the labels I had on the panel.

What can I use to identify the circuits for the baseboard heaters
and plugs and light?

Someone else to tell you when the device goes off while you turn
individual breakers off. Make a list for all the outlets, lights,
heaters, and other devices, then label the breakers appropriately.

Do not enlist your significant other for this project. Things will
not go well.

Get a friend/neighbor/total stranger - someone who will not hold a
grudge after the yelling and screaming starts.

A pair of cheap walkie-talkies can help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oh, that's a pussy thing to do. Have the helper turn the
breakers on and off, one at a time. Half second on, half
second off. You run around the house in the dark (no
flashlight allowed) with the walkie talkie. Report to the
helper what's turning on and off. Then, he can turn on and
off the next breaker, while you run around.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Mark" wrote in message
Make it more challenging! Start at 10pm (after dark). Turn
off all the
lights in the house, then turn off all breakers. Turn them
back on one at a
time and have the helper run around the house with the
tester trying to find
the outlets that are energized! (might want to move any
breakables out of
the way!)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Aug 3, 3:53*am, wrote:
[...]

....except when W Pwr is controlled by 2 or more breakers and/or some W
Pwr is inside the house, some is external.

For example, I've got dedicated circuits that I ran for computers in
bedrooms so the curling iron//lamp/stereo doesn't crash the system. If
I've got 4 outlets on 1 breaker and 1 on another, I have to be
detailed.

Breaker 9 - West Bedroom Power just won't cut it, but

Breaker 9 - West Bedroom Power except Breaker 10
Breaker 10 - West Bedroom Power, South East corner only

tells me what I need to know about that room.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Aug 3, 3:53*am, wrote:
[...]

Yeah.....or
09 W pwr
10 Mstr Bed Computer

It is not rocket surgery.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Aug 3, 3:53*am, wrote:
[...]

Feel free to stop over and check out my actual breaker box layout.
You'll see that it is no where as simple as you are trying to make it.
The house was built in 1956 with just a few fuses and some shared
neutral circuits. Over the years, the upgrade to breakers, the
splitting of circuits and the addition of new circuits, overhead
lights, etc. have resulted in rooms with multiple circuits that don't
fit into a simple N-S-E-W, 1st floor, 2nd floor pattern.

There's also a serious hazard associated with your suggestion.

Let's say the Mstr Bed Computer is on the W side. A user, wanting to
kill the power on the W side of the house, reads the Breaker 9 label
(W pwr) and says "That's what I'm looking for" and shuts it off. Now
he thinks the west side is dead because there was no indication on the
*Breaker 9* label that there are other receptacles on the west side of
the house that are not on that breaker. Sure, he could read every
label to make sure he got the entire west side, but is just as easy
(and safer) to point it out on the sheet entry for Breaker 9 so that
there is no question.

Besides, how do I know there will always be a computer plugged into
that outlet? Noting the location is much better than noting the use,
except obviously for cases like "bathroom exhaust fan". The dedicated
GFCI I installed for the fish tank in the living room years ago now
powers the flat screen and sound system. It's always been labeled as
Living Room - North Wall, never as Fish Tank receptacle. It's also
mentioned (by breaker number) on the listing for the breaker that
controls most of the first floor as an "exception". (see listing
examples below)

My simplest entry reads: Garbage Disposal

My most complicated reads: Basement, First Floor, Second Floor Landing
Light, Front House Lights - Exceptions: See Brkrs 1-7, 17-19, 22,
24-26

This cross-referencing takes care of dedicated receptacles for
microwaves, computers, *fish tanks*, etc. when they are on the same
floor/same wall as a number of other receptacles controlled by
different breakers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
Feel free to stop over and check out my actual breaker box layout.
You'll see that it is no where as simple as you are trying to make it.

Start out by numbering the breakers on each panel. Allow for expansion
of the panel isn't already maxed out. On a sunny day, turn off all
breakers except for the main and one load. Then search around for
anything that has power. Make a note of which circuit the load is on.
If the cover plates aren't painted in place you can note the circuit
number on the inside of the plate -- or even on the outside if
aesthetically acceptable. Then keep a list or chart of what load is
protected by what breaker.