Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default identifying a electical circuit

on 8/3/2009 4:51 PM (ET) Bob F wrote the following:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Aug 3, 2:15 pm, "Bob F" wrote:

wrote:

The nice electricians that replace the knob and tube in my house
removed all the labels I had on the panel.

What can I use to identify the circuits for the baseboard heaters
and plugs and light?

Someone else to tell you when the device goes off while you turn
individual breakers off. Make a list for all the outlets, lights,
heaters, and other devices, then label the breakers appropriately.

Do not enlist your significant other for this project. Things will
not go well.

Get a friend/neighbor/total stranger - someone who will not hold a
grudge after the yelling and screaming starts.

A pair of cheap walkie-talkies can help.

There is also a tool that can help. Circuit Detective
(http://www.circuitdetective.com/). One part plugged into a outlet, and
the other part passed over the circuit box.. It will beep when the
outlet part is discovered. It can be used for a light fixture if a light
socket to outlet adapter is installed in the light socket.
Usual disclaimers apply.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY