Posted to alt.home.repair
Eigenvector

Default electical conduit

I usually call the stuff armored conduit, but I'm referring to the
galvanized tubes that wiring runs through. Is there a code reason why you
shouldn't use it to channel wiring through the walls?

I was thinking of it in terms of making it easier to pull the cable should
the need to pull come up in the future, as well as a way to protect the
wires from insects and rodents chewing on the cables.

Posted to alt.home.repair
James \Cubby\ Culbertson

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..
I usually call the stuff armored conduit, but I'm referring to the
galvanized tubes that wiring runs through. Is there a code reason why you
shouldn't use it to channel wiring through the walls?

I was thinking of it in terms of making it easier to pull the cable should
the need to pull come up in the future, as well as a way to protect the
wires from insects and rodents chewing on the cables.

I cannot think of a code reason per se unless the wire will generate too
much heat inside the piping (called EMT) but it
will add considerable cost to the install. Why not just pull oversize
wires for those you think you'll need to upgrade later
right up front. I might add as well, that I'm no code expert so take my
words with a grain of salt.
Cheers,
cc

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller

In article , "Eigenvector" wrote:
I usually call the stuff armored conduit, but I'm referring to the
galvanized tubes that wiring runs through. Is there a code reason why you
shouldn't use it to channel wiring through the walls?

Not at all -- in fact, in some places (Chicago springs to mind), it's
required.

I was thinking of it in terms of making it easier to pull the cable should
the need to pull come up in the future, as well as a way to protect the
wires from insects and rodents chewing on the cables.

Well, if you're going to pull cable through it, it better be big. Usually,
individual conductors are pulled instead.

Also make sure to observe the limitation on the number of bends between boxes
(no more than four 90-degree bends in one run).

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

I would say the amount of labor involved in running the conduit would
be the biggest problem. The plastic tubing around here (in LI) in not
allowed to be run inside walls... (guess if there is a fire they dont
want
you to die from the fumes if this stuff when it burns)

If you wanted added protection from rodents etc, why not just bx
(armored)
wire??? I'd recommend a nice 12/2 wire that can handle 20 amps
if you need it.

.... Speaking of wire... WOW COPPER GOT EXPENSIVE!!!!
I was over at HD and noticed romex 250ft 12/2 for $$$102.00

2-3 months ago I bought bx for 81 for 250ft. Romex at that time
was $60.00.

Tom

Eigenvector wrote:
I usually call the stuff armored conduit, but I'm referring to the
galvanized tubes that wiring runs through. Is there a code reason why you
shouldn't use it to channel wiring through the walls?

I was thinking of it in terms of making it easier to pull the cable should
the need to pull come up in the future, as well as a way to protect the
wires from insects and rodents chewing on the cables.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tekkie®

Randy Cox posted for all of us...
I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

Without being grounded, a
voltage could be induced into the ferrous metal pipe, turning it into a
capacitor. Now should it be a capacitor and a nail from the sheet rock be
touching it, one might touch the nail and get a good amount of electricity
run through him as he drained the build up to ground.

Huh? Cite example
--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair
~^Johnny^~

On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 21:38:55 -0500, "Randy Cox"
wrote:

Personally, I like the smurf tube if your not going to install conduit as a
complete system. I had ancient cloth covered Romex in my old house. I
replaced it with new Romex. I wished I'd left it alone. The squirrels love
the outer sheath of the new Romex. They eat it. Now when I shine a
flashlight in my attic I get these little reflections bouncing back at me.
Some are squirrel eyes and some are bare spots in the Romex.

That's nothing.

My main gripe is gophers and direct-buried UF cable.

Consider this scenario:
AWG 2-0 aluminum, to a 200A subpanel, in a building
about 100 yards away. UF, direct buried. Gopher city.
What a pain in the @$$. Too cheap to bury conduit?
You'll make up for it in labor costs a couple of years
down the road.

--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info