Posted to alt.home.repair
metspitzer metspitzer is offline

Default identifying a electical circuit

On Tue, 4 Aug 2009 04:59:36 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Aug 3, 4:27*pm, Metspitzer wrote:
On Mon, 3 Aug 2009 12:44:49 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

wrote:
On Aug 3, 3:53*am, wrote:
The nice electricians that replace the knob and tube in my house
removed all the labels I had on the panel. *

What can I use to identify the circuits for the baseboard heaters and
plugs and light?

I built an Excel spreadsheet detailing the inner workings of my
breaker box since I have rooms/areas that are controlled by more than
one breaker. Putting all the correct info on a little label next a
breaker would be impossible. I have entries such as:

Breaker 9 - Garage receptacles except for Breaker 10. Not garage
lights.
Breaker 10 - Dedicated freezer receptacle in Garage
Breaker 11 - Garage lights, exterior lights for front door and garage
door
Breaker 15 - NW bedroom plus upper landing light

I put the sheet in a plastic document holder and taped it to the
breaker box. Updating the sheet is a breeze when I make a change, add
a receptacle, etc.

North lighting *N Lite
West power * W Pwr
Makes it easy enough to find without getting too detailed.

...except when W Pwr is controlled by 2 or more breakers and/or some W
Pwr is inside the house, some is external.

For example, I've got dedicated circuits that I ran for computers in
bedrooms so the curling iron//lamp/stereo doesn't crash the system. If
I've got 4 outlets on 1 breaker and 1 on another, I have to be
detailed.

Breaker 9 - West Bedroom Power just won't cut it, but

Breaker 9 - West Bedroom Power except Breaker 10
Breaker 10 - West Bedroom Power, South East corner only

tells me what I need to know about that room.

Yeah.....or
09 W pwr
10 Mstr Bed Computer

It is not rocket surgery.