DavidD

Default electical supplies

I need to rewire some bits of my cellar. I want to use conduit so I can run
power, phone and lan.

I think I'll be able to squeeze it all into 20mm, the question is where to
get it, and the metal surface mount sockets?
I was thinking about screwfit but I have a feeing it might be a lot cheaper
elsewhere.

Also how does one join the conduit to the boxes? And what about junctions?

TIA

Dave Jones

"DavidD" wrote in message
. ..
I need to rewire some bits of my cellar. I want to use conduit so I can run
power, phone and lan.

I think I'll be able to squeeze it all into 20mm, the question is where to
get it, and the metal surface mount sockets?
I was thinking about screwfit but I have a feeing it might be a lot
cheaper elsewhere.

Also how does one join the conduit to the boxes? And what about junctions?

TIA

It's not recommend to run data and voice cables with mains, should be at
least 200mm apart when run in parallel.

nightjar

"DavidD" wrote in message
. ..
I need to rewire some bits of my cellar. I want to use conduit so I can run
power, phone and lan.

I think I'll be able to squeeze it all into 20mm, the question is where to
get it, and the metal surface mount sockets?
I was thinking about screwfit but I have a feeing it might be a lot
cheaper elsewhere.

Any electrical wholesaler, although you might need to order metal conduit as
uPVC is more commonly used these days. However, if you think you can squeeze
it into 20mm conduit, you will probably find you can't. Earthed galvanised
steel trunking will providing shielding between power and signal cables, is
easier to lay cables into and is much easier when you want to make changes
later. You then only need to use conduit to connect individal outlets to the
trunking.

Also how does one join the conduit to the boxes? And what about junctions?

For steel conduit, you hire a threading machine from a hire shop and cut
screw threads on the tube. The powered ones require less effort, but the
manual ones are cheaper to hire.

Colin Bignell

John Rumm

DavidD wrote:

I need to rewire some bits of my cellar. I want to use conduit so I can run
power, phone and lan.

I think I'll be able to squeeze it all into 20mm, the question is where to

Not a good start, you need to keep the LAN and Phone segregated from the
power by at least 2" along its length.

get it, and the metal surface mount sockets?
I was thinking about screwfit but I have a feeing it might be a lot cheaper
elsewhere.

Screwfix are ok for conduit, but have a look at www.tlc-direct.co.uk as
well.

Also how does one join the conduit to the boxes? And what about junctions?

If you use surface mount metal clad sockets and back boxes then there
are knock outs in the box. You get threaded ends for the conduit that
screw into the hole in the box and have a socket to accept the end of
the conduit (Order code MT20FMA on page below).

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...ite/index.html

Junctions are achieved with junction fittings oddly enough ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

DavidD

"John Rumm" wrote in message
DavidD wrote:

[...]

Thanks, thats helping, so I get some of these..

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MT20BX4B.html

and I need to make connections in them then I would need something like..

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...xes/index.html

Any pointers to what I really need?

If I was not using conduit this would be easy!

Thanks

David

John Rumm

DavidD wrote:

Thanks, thats helping, so I get some of these..

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MT20BX4B.html

and I need to make connections in them then I would need something like..

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...xes/index.html

I doubt that will fit in an inspection junction of a conduit. Having
said that it is unusual to want or need to make connections in the
conduit. Usually they would be made in the fixtures being supplied by
the conduit.

Any pointers to what I really need?

Remeber that if you order the boxes then the lids, washers, and screws
are separate items.

It is also much simpler to pull singles through conduit rather than T&E
cable.

If I was not using conduit this would be easy!

The issues are mainly mechanical though (i.e bending, fixing, and
pulling wires through it). The rest should be much the same as any other
method of wiring.

--
Cheers,

John.

Owain

"DavidD" wrote
| I need to rewire some bits of my cellar. I want to use conduit so I can
| run power, phone and lan.
| I think I'll be able to squeeze it all into 20mm,

You can't "squeeze" cables into conduit at all. There are rules on the
physical capacities of conduit and you should calculate, for every length of
conduit, the unit capacity of the conduit and of the cables therein. You
will also have to calculate any derating factor due to mounting method and
grouping for the cables themselves.

Owain