William Morris

Default Residential electical question

There's some long explanations here. Skip to "The Heart Of The Matter",
below, if you don't want the story.

Just to set the stage: the original structure of our house was built in
1920. From 1954 to '56, my uncle added a garage/office to the back (West),
extended the bedrooms (North), and enclosed the screened-in porch to make a
dining room (South - pretty neat: in the basement you can still see the
"door" that was used as access to the area under the house, hinges and all,
that's now floored over).

Of course as the house has been built / added to over the years, the
electrical system is one huge bowl of under-powered spaghetti. The main
panel, a 60 amp fuse box (yep, fuses), powers most of the house. Another
box beside it holds the "Main" and the "Range", plus four fuses which
control the West addition, and under the stairs is _another_ box with 10
fuses, also for the West addition. The last box, the last one I've ever
found anyway, is a double-pole breaker for the air conditioner. The box
under the stairs appears to be wired directly to the meter, but that's
another story.

By day I'm a mild mannered computer programmer. My office at home has two
computers with all the trappings, plus a MIDI workstation, mixer, amp, etc
etc etc. My wife and I also own a business making shirts and tights for
renaissance festivals throughout the country, so in the basement are three
industrial sewing machines, plus all the trappings that go with ~that~.

No, we're not blowing fuses. The problem is, I've got four boxes, and no
more circuits - by rights, if I'm doing my math right, the costume shop
alone should have two, for instance, but there was only one left in the box.
Each computer should have its own circuit. I'm not overpowering the box,
I'm just out of room.

--- THE HEART OF THE MATTER.

I called an electrician and gave him the situation, saying I was exploring
having a 200 amp box. He told me flat out that 200 amp was for industrial
applications only, and wouldn't do it. My contention is that the codes as
they exist were by and large written at a time when a floor lamp, tv and vcr
setup was considered a lot of electricity for a room. To setup one computer
in my house takes an outlet for the computer; a monitor; a printer; a
scanner; the DSL modem; a broadband router; a switch (I have a home
network). That's seven. The entertainment center: a tv; vcr; dvd; an
amplifier/receiver; cd player. That's five.

Thesis: We live now in an age where there is more Electical Stuff in common
usage than anytime before, and that the conventional/traditional wisdom
needs some updating.

Thoughts?

--
William Morris
Tailor, Seamlyne reProductions

John Grabowski

Since you're not blowing fuses, there doesn't appear to be any urgency to
upgrade, assuming of course that the proper sized fuses are being used on
each circuit. It does sound as though your electrical system is due for an
upgrade though.

A 200 amp, 220 volt, single phase service is not unusual for a residence. I
suggest that you consult with several other electrical contractors. Tell
them you want a 40/40 panel.

"William Morris" wrote in message
[...]

Speedy Jim

William Morris wrote:
SNIP
--- THE HEART OF THE MATTER.

I called an electrician and gave him the situation, saying I was exploring
having a 200 amp box. He told me flat out that 200 amp was for industrial
applications only, and wouldn't do it.

He's flat out wrong.

The *only* way that the new service can be sized correctly
is to perform a load calculation as required in Art 220 of the NEC.

I would expect the town inspector and maybe the utility will
insist on seeing the calculations before issuing the permit
(he was going to get one, wasn't he?).

Given the details of the "spaghetti bowl" wiring, expect the
inspector to insist upon correcting any existing problems
he may see.

You could be looking at a can of worms...

Jim
TURTLE

[...]

This is Turtle.

On most all ''all electric homes'' built today require 200 amp service
because of you need in some cases a 100 amp breaker for the just the back up
electric air handler strippes on the new heat pump systems if the heat pump
breaks down. On most all 2,000 or + square foot homes today will have a 200
amp service to start with. It is common place on these homes.

Now if you have gas or propane [ heating system, hot water tank , cloths
drier, and stove ] , you can get by with a 125 if you wanted to.

TURTLE

Chris Lewis

According to Speedy Jim :
William Morris wrote:
SNIP
--- THE HEART OF THE MATTER.

I called an electrician and gave him the situation, saying I was exploring
having a 200 amp box. He told me flat out that 200 amp was for industrial
applications only, and wouldn't do it.

He's flat out wrong.

The *only* way that the new service can be sized correctly
is to perform a load calculation as required in Art 220 of the NEC.

Do remember that those calculations yield _minimum_ service ampacities.
You can install bigger services if you want (and the power utility is
willing to).

200A services aren't in the slightest bit unusual. Indeed, here, any
ordinary sized home with electric heat has to have a 200A service.

Some upscale and larger homes need 400A services.

Given the details of the "spaghetti bowl" wiring, expect the
inspector to insist upon correcting any existing problems
he may see.

You could be looking at a can of worms...

Could be. It's more likely that most (if not all) of the wiring issues
he'd see will be solved simply by transferring all of the existing
circuits to a new panel.

The code permits the inspector to insist on upgrading circuits that you
didn't intend to be touched if you're altering enough of the system.

This is normally intended for things like having the inspector insist
that you GFCI the bathroom outlet if you're installing a new light
fixture on that circuit.

It's been my experience that inspectors won't carry things so far as
to require large-scale ripping out of existing circuitry just for a panel
upgrade. For example, in an _almost_ full rewire (wall teardown etc),
there was a segment of K&T feeding a fixture in the ceiling of a really
beautifully plastered ceiling. The inspector didn't tell us to rip it out.
He told us how to connect the K&T to the new circuit.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
C G

William Morris wrote:
snip

No, we're not blowing fuses. The problem is, I've got four boxes, and no
more circuits - by rights, if I'm doing my math right, the costume shop
alone should have two, for instance, but there was only one left in the box.
Each computer should have its own circuit.

Why? Computers typically do not take much power.

--- THE HEART OF THE MATTER.

I called an electrician and gave him the situation, saying I was exploring
having a 200 amp box. He told me flat out that 200 amp was for industrial
applications only, and wouldn't do it. My contention is that the codes as
they exist were by and large written at a time when a floor lamp, tv and vcr
setup was considered a lot of electricity for a room. To setup one computer
in my house takes an outlet for the computer; a monitor; a printer; a
scanner; the DSL modem; a broadband router; a switch (I have a home
network). That's seven. The entertainment center: a tv; vcr; dvd; an
amplifier/receiver; cd player. That's five.

There's a big difference between the number of circuits versus outlets
versus devices plugged in. Most of the items you identified take very
little power. One surge suppressor (let's not get started on a thread
about their value, or lack of) can handle each computer and peripherals,
the same for the entertainment center.
William Morris

Each computer should have its own circuit.

Why? Computers typically do not take much power.

True, and if that were the only consideration I would agree - monitor and PC
are usually no more power than four or five table lamps. Presently, my
system is running on a multioutlet surge suppressor and UPS and has been for
quite some time. However, I have client data on my primary box, and as I
understand it, the standard in my industry is to isolate the "server(s)"
from other devices (like refrigerators, stereos, etc) as one facet of a
multifaceted approach to safeguarding data. Makes your heart skip a beat
whenever someone in another part of the house starts up the microwave and a
screen with three-quarters-of-a-million records of customer data jumps.

HA HA Budys Here

A 40/40 panel is a circuit breaker box that has spaces for 40 full-sized
circuit breakers.

200a is pretty typical these days, by no means is it for industrial
applications only.

Yi Jin

In article ,
HA HA Budys Here wrote:
A 40/40 panel is a circuit breaker box that has spaces for 40 full-sized
circuit breakers.

200a is pretty typical these days, by no means is it for industrial
applications only.

How to determine the size of your panels? I have 2 independent
panels at entrance. The main switches on both marked 200A. Do
I have 200A, or 400A?

Do all amps refer to 240V, or 120V votages?

YJ

Yi Jin

In article ,
HA HA Budys Here wrote:
A 40/40 panel is a circuit breaker box that has spaces for 40 full-sized
circuit breakers.

200a is pretty typical these days, by no means is it for industrial
applications only.

How to determine the size of your panels? I have 2 independent
panels at entrance. The main switches on both marked 200A. Do
I have 200A, or 400A?

Do you have 2 meters as well? If you do you definately have 2 x 200a services.

One of those 200a panels might be fed from the other. The only way a layman can
be sure is to turn off the main in one panel. If 1/2 the place goes off, turn
it back on. Then throw the main in the other panel. If the other 1/2 goes off,
you have 2 x 200 a panels onm a 400a service,

If the entire hoise goes dark, you have a 200a service and 2 200a panels.

Do all amps refer to 240V, or 120V votages?

If the service was installed post mid-'60's, yes you have 240v.

Thanks. I guess I have 400A then, since I know each of those panels serves
different circuits (based on the switch labels on each panel).

The house was built in 2000, and has 2 zone ACs - maybe that was the reason
for 400A.

Bruce

I'm surprised the electrician would say that about a 200 amp service.
Here in Virginia, that is standard now for most new home construction.
Indeed, some of the 6000 square foot "McMansions" that are being
built in Loudon County near Wash, DC have 400 amp service.

Also, when trying to get power to my new barn, the local utility,
Allegheny Power, offered to hang a transformer on a nearby pole and
bring 200 amps to the building.

You should continue calling around. Nothing industrial about 200 amps
anymore.

- Bruce

"William Morris" wrote in message ...

I called an electrician and gave him the situation, saying I was exploring
having a 200 amp box. He told me flat out that 200 amp was for industrial
applications only, and wouldn't do it.

C G

William Morris wrote:

Each computer should have its own circuit.

Why? Computers typically do not take much power.

True, and if that were the only consideration I would agree - monitor and PC
are usually no more power than four or five table lamps. Presently, my
system is running on a multioutlet surge suppressor and UPS and has been for
quite some time. However, I have client data on my primary box, and as I
understand it, the standard in my industry is to isolate the "server(s)"
from other devices (like refrigerators, stereos, etc) as one facet of a
multifaceted approach to safeguarding data. Makes your heart skip a beat
whenever someone in another part of the house starts up the microwave and a
screen with three-quarters-of-a-million records of customer data jumps.

Understand. Definitely should not be on the same circuit as something
like a microwave.
William Morris

In fairness to the electrician, our house is not large - only about 1300 sq
ft not including the basement. Each room was wired in the 1950's for 1 or
two overhead lamps and one or two outlets. Really inadequate by today's
standards, I would think.

- Wm

"Bruce" wrote in message
om...
I'm surprised the electrician would say that about a 200 amp service.
Here in Virginia, that is standard now for most new home construction.
Indeed, some of the 6000 square foot "McMansions" that are being
built in Loudon County near Wash, DC have 400 amp service.

Also, when trying to get power to my new barn, the local utility,
Allegheny Power, offered to hang a transformer on a nearby pole and
bring 200 amps to the building.

You should continue calling around. Nothing industrial about 200 amps
anymore.

- Bruce

"William Morris" wrote in message

I called an electrician and gave him the situation, saying I was

exploring
having a 200 amp box. He told me flat out that 200 amp was for

industrial
applications only, and wouldn't do it.

C G

It's understandable if he felt 200 amps was too much for YOUR house, but
to respond that it is only used for industrial seems a bit odd. As
others have said, 200 amps is quite common.

William Morris wrote:

In fairness to the electrician, our house is not large - only about 1300 sq
ft not including the basement. Each room was wired in the 1950's for 1 or
two overhead lamps and one or two outlets. Really inadequate by today's
standards, I would think.

- Wm

"Bruce" wrote in message
om...
I'm surprised the electrician would say that about a 200 amp service.
Here in Virginia, that is standard now for most new home construction.
Indeed, some of the 6000 square foot "McMansions" that are being
built in Loudon County near Wash, DC have 400 amp service.

Also, when trying to get power to my new barn, the local utility,
Allegheny Power, offered to hang a transformer on a nearby pole and
bring 200 amps to the building.

You should continue calling around. Nothing industrial about 200 amps
anymore.

- Bruce

"William Morris" wrote in message

I called an electrician and gave him the situation, saying I was

exploring
having a 200 amp box. He told me flat out that 200 amp was for

industrial
applications only, and wouldn't do it.

Jeff Cochran

--- THE HEART OF THE MATTER.

I called an electrician and gave him the situation, saying I was exploring
having a 200 amp box. He told me flat out that 200 amp was for industrial
applications only, and wouldn't do it.

And the second and third electrician you called told you what?

Jeff
Terry

HA HA Budys Here wrote:

200a is pretty typical these days, by no means is it for industrial applications only.

Same here. Northeastern Canada. Our house which has by no means
the amount of equipment mentioned by the Original Poster, built
33 years, ago has 200 amp. Terry
HA HA Budys Here

Heck, there's still electricians who scoff at pre-wiring homes for coaxial
cable or satallite TV, or Cat6e wiring, or 3-way switches!

Mark or Sue

"Terry" wrote in message
HA HA Budys Here wrote:

200a is pretty typical these days, by no means is it for industrial

applications only.

Same here. Northeastern Canada. Our house which has by no means
the amount of equipment mentioned by the Original Poster, built
33 years, ago has 200 amp. Terry

I must have an industrial complex then -- my house has 400A service. This
replaced a 200A service that was installed in the 60's.

--
Mark
Kent, WA

HA HA Budys Here

From: "Mark or Sue"
Date: 11/25/2003 4:07 PM Eastern Standard Time

"Terry" wrote in message
HA HA Budys Here wrote:

200a is pretty typical these days, by no means is it for industrial

applications only.

Same here. Northeastern Canada. Our house which has by no means
the amount of equipment mentioned by the Original Poster, built
33 years, ago has 200 amp. Terry

I must have an industrial complex then -- my house has 400A service. This
replaced a 200A service that was installed in the 60's.

--
Mark
Kent, WA

That must be SOME house! 200a in the 60's WAS "industrial!" Even all the houses
in Levittown only got 60a 220v, and they had electric ranges!

C G

Many electricians should leave the first three alone.

HA HA Budys Here wrote:

Heck, there's still electricians who scoff at pre-wiring homes for coaxial
cable or satallite TV, or Cat6e wiring, or 3-way switches!

C G

HA HA Budys Here wrote:

Heck, there's still electricians who scoff at pre-wiring homes for coaxial
cable or satallite TV, or Cat6e wiring, or 3-way switches!

Tony Hwang

Hi,
There is new breed called communication electricians.
Why bother? Pretty soon it'll be all wireless.
Tony

HA HA Budys Here wrote:

Heck, there's still electricians who scoff at pre-wiring homes for coaxial
cable or satallite TV, or Cat6e wiring, or 3-way switches!

William Morris

Bravo. I've told my wife that if we ever need another network hookup in the
house, I'm going wireless. I don't buy my supplies wholesale - retail
prices on CAT5 cable, outlets, and boxes - not to mention aggravation of
cutting holes in my walls - are gawdawful. Costs me $75 every time.

HA HA Budys Here wrote:

Heck, there's still electricians who scoff at pre-wiring homes for

coaxial
cable or satallite TV, or Cat6e wiring, or 3-way switches!

C G

Tony Hwang wrote:

Hi,
There is new breed called communication electricians.

Understand, that's why I said many. I realize some electricians have
taken the time to learn how the new stuff works, and more important,
take the time to install it properly. Unfortunately, most do not.

Why bother? Pretty soon it'll be all wireless.

Maybe, maybe not. There is a limit to the spectrum. I recently
discovered I cannot use my cordless phones anywhere near my laptop if
it's in the middle of a big download, too much interferance. No matter
how reliable the wireless technology gets, hardwiring will still be
better.

j j

"C G" wrote in message
. com...
Tony Hwang wrote:

Hi,
There is new breed called communication electricians.

Understand, that's why I said many. I realize some electricians have
taken the time to learn how the new stuff works, and more important,
take the time to install it properly. Unfortunately, most do not.

Why bother? Pretty soon it'll be all wireless.

Maybe, maybe not. There is a limit to the spectrum. I recently
discovered I cannot use my cordless phones anywhere near my laptop if
it's in the middle of a big download, too much interferance.

get a better phone. I've seen some that are advertised "802.11 friendly"

ACID QUESTION my_2¢ Metalworking 9 November 10th 03 04:22 PM
chemistry question Grant Erwin Metalworking 44 November 3rd 03 05:41 AM
Pushfit plumbing question Lee Blaver UK diy 18 October 23rd 03 07:58 AM
Pipe thread question, NPT vs NPSF, MIP, FIP and IPS Jeff Wisnia Metalworking 1 August 9th 03 04:20 AM
Question about possible 'floating neutral' donald girod Home Repair 1 June 30th 03 03:47 AM