Yi Jin

Default Residential electical question

In article ,
HA HA Budys Here wrote:
A 40/40 panel is a circuit breaker box that has spaces for 40 full-sized
circuit breakers.

200a is pretty typical these days, by no means is it for industrial
applications only.

How to determine the size of your panels? I have 2 independent
panels at entrance. The main switches on both marked 200A. Do
I have 200A, or 400A?

Do you have 2 meters as well? If you do you definately have 2 x 200a services.

One of those 200a panels might be fed from the other. The only way a layman can
be sure is to turn off the main in one panel. If 1/2 the place goes off, turn
it back on. Then throw the main in the other panel. If the other 1/2 goes off,
you have 2 x 200 a panels onm a 400a service,

If the entire hoise goes dark, you have a 200a service and 2 200a panels.

Do all amps refer to 240V, or 120V votages?

If the service was installed post mid-'60's, yes you have 240v.

Thanks. I guess I have 400A then, since I know each of those panels serves
different circuits (based on the switch labels on each panel).

The house was built in 2000, and has 2 zone ACs - maybe that was the reason
for 400A.