William Morris

Default Residential electical question

In fairness to the electrician, our house is not large - only about 1300 sq
ft not including the basement. Each room was wired in the 1950's for 1 or
two overhead lamps and one or two outlets. Really inadequate by today's
standards, I would think.

- Wm

"Bruce" wrote in message
om...
I'm surprised the electrician would say that about a 200 amp service.
Here in Virginia, that is standard now for most new home construction.
Indeed, some of the 6000 square foot "McMansions" that are being
built in Loudon County near Wash, DC have 400 amp service.

Also, when trying to get power to my new barn, the local utility,
Allegheny Power, offered to hang a transformer on a nearby pole and
bring 200 amps to the building.

You should continue calling around. Nothing industrial about 200 amps
anymore.

- Bruce

"William Morris" wrote in message

I called an electrician and gave him the situation, saying I was

exploring
having a 200 amp box. He told me flat out that 200 amp was for

industrial
applications only, and wouldn't do it.