Electronics (alt.electronics)

Scottiedog

Default Where can I get cheap 12DC power supplies?

Hi All!

Hope someone can help me here

I keep paying over the odd for power supplies from a well known
components distributor, around =A320 to =A330 just for 12V 500mA DC plug
pack, you know, the ones which come with the variety of connectors for
plugging in to various equipment such as personal CD players.

Does anyone have any idea where I can buy small quantities (say 20 at a
time) of 12V 500mA to 1A DC REGULATED power supplies? I also need the
option of using UK or US mains outlets, so I like the idea of the
laptop style ones that take the figure of eight connector.
Thanks for your time!

Richard

Si Ballenger

On 23 Jan 2005 16:05:11 -0800, "Scottiedog"
wrote:

Hi All!

Hope someone can help me here

I keep paying over the odd for power supplies from a well known
components distributor, around =A320 to =A330 just for 12V 500mA DC plug
pack, you know, the ones which come with the variety of connectors for
plugging in to various equipment such as personal CD players.

Does anyone have any idea where I can buy small quantities (say 20 at a
time) of 12V 500mA to 1A DC REGULATED power supplies? I also need the
option of using UK or US mains outlets, so I like the idea of the
laptop style ones that take the figure of eight connector.
Thanks for your time!

Richard

Jameco below has a lot of power supplies.

http://www.jameco.com/

Dick Johnson

Try a computer vendor who takes trade-ins.

A non operative unit is usually very cheap and the Power supply may still be
working.

You get 12 v. and lots of 5 v capability from a ATX machine.

Not a lab supply but reasonably well regulated

Poppa J

cb

I wanted to use an ATX power supply to provide 12vdc to car radio in my
house, but was told that it would not operate unless it was physically
connected to a motherboard.

Is there a way to use it without it being connected to a motherboard?

Thanks.
"Dick Johnson" wrote in message
Try a computer vendor who takes trade-ins.

A non operative unit is usually very cheap and the Power supply may still

be
working.

You get 12 v. and lots of 5 v capability from a ATX machine.

Not a lab supply but reasonably well regulated

Poppa J

Sylvan Butler

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 15:03:02 +1100, cb wrote:
I wanted to use an ATX power supply to provide 12vdc to car radio in my
house, but was told that it would not operate unless it was physically
connected to a motherboard.

Is there a way to use it without it being connected to a motherboard?

Sure, not a problem. Two requirements...

First the power supply will need a reasonable load to operate properly.
I attach one of the connectors to an old disk drive that draws an amp or
two of +5v and also an amp or two of +12v. Works well.

Second, one of the wires on the ATX connector needs to be connected to
ground (also known as "common") to turn on the power supply. This wire
is in the middle of the connector, and a ground is adjacent. The pin
number is 14, and the wire is supposed to be green (and the ground
black). I usually use a little pair of spring-closing tweezers to
connect the two.

Here is the google "lucky" reference for a pinout diagram:
http://xtronics.com/reference/atx_pinout.htm

sdb

sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com

Kiwi Pete

Hi, I used a 12V lamp from a car (25 watt) or similar for the load on my
power supply, used a cable tie to hold it on the inside of the case behind
the vent slots.

--

Thanks, Kiwi Pete.

"cb" wrote in message
I wanted to use an ATX power supply to provide 12vdc to car radio in my
house, but was told that it would not operate unless it was physically
connected to a motherboard.

Is there a way to use it without it being connected to a motherboard?

Thanks.
"Dick Johnson" wrote in message
Try a computer vendor who takes trade-ins.

A non operative unit is usually very cheap and the Power supply may

still
be
working.

You get 12 v. and lots of 5 v capability from a ATX machine.

Not a lab supply but reasonably well regulated

Poppa J

Power cost of idle electric water heater Phil Sherrod Home Ownership 50 April 2nd 04 04:55 PM
Power supplies are burning out jbr Electronics Repair 19 January 22nd 04 05:47 AM
PC power supplies Jimmy Electronics 14 October 28th 03 04:01 AM
Generator Experience [email protected] Home Ownership 10 October 12th 03 01:28 AM
Japanese equipment power supplies in Europe ? fidik Electronics Repair 2 September 8th 03 04:27 PM