Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What gutter gaurds have you tried?

I have a 20 year old 5" aluminum gutter, and I'm trying to find a good
gutter gaurd to go with it, and it needs to be good enough to keep out pine
needles.

The first type I tried were these:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...000003+9 0401

I bought 2 boxes of 25 panels at $43 each. After a mere *3 days*
the sun had caused them to warp, bow up, and come loose in places. Some
of them went from being straight to looking like damn wavy patato chip.
And this was only after *3 days*.

I wish that I had thought to take a picture of them. You'd get a good
laugh.

Fortunately, lazyness was on my side, as I had only bothered to use one
of the boxes, which was just enough to cover one side of the house. So,
I took the unused box back and asker her if there was any way I could
return the worthless crap that I had already wasted all day installing.
She said that I *could*, so I immediately returned home, yanked all that
crap off, and took it to get my money back. There was differenct person
there when I got back, but fortunately he didn't give me any crap about
it and accepted the return.

So, at least I didn't lose any money.

Then, I bought a piece of the solid stuff:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...000003+9 0401

But I think a hard rain will likely result in water just running right
over that stuff. Also, you have to tuck this underneath the shingles,
and I'm concerned about water running back up under them, as the gaurd
lies almost level on top, since the outermost lip of the gaurd sticks up
so high.

They also had some metal mesh-like stuff, but I don't know if that'd be
effective against pine needles.
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...000003+9 0401

What have your experiences been with these various products?

Posted to alt.home.repair

ShadowTek wrote in
:

I have a 20 year old 5" aluminum gutter, and I'm trying to find a good
gutter gaurd to go with it, and it needs to be good enough to keep out
pine needles.

The first type I tried were these:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...tDisplay?store
Id=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100020939&N=10000003+9 0401

[...]

Id=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100051459&N=10000003+9 0401

But I think a hard rain will likely result in water just running right
over that stuff. Also, you have to tuck this underneath the shingles,
and I'm concerned about water running back up under them, as the gaurd
lies almost level on top, since the outermost lip of the gaurd sticks
up so high.

They also had some metal mesh-like stuff, but I don't know if that'd
be effective against pine needles.
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...tDisplay?store
Id=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100012640&N=10000003+9 0401

What have your experiences been with these various products?

Only thing I've heard that works always.

http://tinyurl.com/3dg7yj
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat 01 Aug 2009 09:15:06p, ShadowTek told us...

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...isplay?storeId
[...]

I haven't tried either of the first two. When we lived in NE Ohio, our
gutter guards were similar if not identical to the mesh type in picture #3.
We lived in a heavily wooded area that included both broadleaf and
evergreen trees. The guards were very effective. However, no matter what
you put on your gutters, the guards themselves require periodic cleaning.
In our case we generally cleaned them in late Fall after all the leaves had
fallen. In truth, there really wasn't much to clean up, but just making
sure that the guards didn't have an accumulcation of leaves.

--
Wayne Boatwright
The most remarkable thing about my mother is that for thirty years

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2009-08-02, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

I haven't tried either of the first two. When we lived in NE Ohio, our
gutter guards were similar if not identical to the mesh type in picture #3.
We lived in a heavily wooded area that included both broadleaf and
evergreen trees. The guards were very effective. However, no matter what
you put on your gutters, the guards themselves require periodic cleaning.
In our case we generally cleaned them in late Fall after all the leaves had
fallen. In truth, there really wasn't much to clean up, but just making
sure that the guards didn't have an accumulcation of leaves.

Did you install them over or under the shingles?

Did they lay flat or did they bow one way or the other?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2009-08-02, RobertPatrick wrote:

http://www.guttersupply.com/p-Free-F...er-Guard.gstml
This looks like the kind we have. When we got a new roof and gutters we
had the guard installed. We live in a heavy wooded area. Nothing goes
thru the gutters, but water.

That's the 2nd type I was referring to.

Does it still direct water into the gutters during a hard rain? Or does
the water run over the gutters?

Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

"ShadowTek" wrote in message
. ..
I have a 20 year old 5" aluminum gutter, and I'm trying to find a good
gutter gaurd to go with it, and it needs to be good enough to keep out
pine
needles.

We bought a house a year ago that has these or something very similar
installed. So far I've been quite satisfied with their performance.

http://www.easyflowgutters.com/index.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2009-08-02, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

I haven't tried either of the first two. When we lived in NE Ohio, our
gutter guards were similar if not identical to the mesh type in picture #3.
We lived in a heavily wooded area that included both broadleaf and
evergreen trees. The guards were very effective. However, no matter what
you put on your gutters, the guards themselves require periodic cleaning.
In our case we generally cleaned them in late Fall after all the leaves had
fallen. In truth, there really wasn't much to clean up, but just making
sure that the guards didn't have an accumulcation of leaves.

Did you install them over or under the shingles?

Did they lay flat or did they bow one way or the other?

I had #3 for a number of years. They worked well. The only problems
were; they could be seen from the street and they are not too pretty,
and if they are placed over the shingles, a wind can lift them, so they
hang down in front of the gutters and have to be put back. I tacked them
down to the shingles to keep them from blowing open, but then they are
harder to clean of accumulated debris. When they are just laying on the
shingles, you can lift them off and over the gutter to drop the debris
off. When they are tacked down, you cant lift them off, so you have to
clean them by hand. I have nothing up there now, but I am in the market
for others.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 8/2/2009 12:15 AM (ET) ShadowTek wrote the following:
I have a 20 year old 5" aluminum gutter, and I'm trying to find a good
gutter gaurd to go with it, and it needs to be good enough to keep out pine
needles.

The first type I tried were these:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...000003+9 0401

I bought 2 boxes of 25 panels at $43 each. After a mere *3 days*
the sun had caused them to warp, bow up, and come loose in places. Some
of them went from being straight to looking like damn wavy patato chip.
And this was only after *3 days*.

I wish that I had thought to take a picture of them. You'd get a good
laugh.

snip

Did you have the brown ones? I wonder if they were white would they have
warped as much or at all?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun 02 Aug 2009 12:04:58a, ShadowTek told us...

#3. We lived in a heavily wooded area that included both broadleaf and
evergreen trees. The guards were very effective. However, no matter
what you put on your gutters, the guards themselves require periodic
cleaning. In our case we generally cleaned them in late Fall after all
the leaves had fallen. In truth, there really wasn't much to clean up,
but just making sure that the guards didn't have an accumulcation of
leaves.

Did you install them over or under the shingles?

Under the shingles.

Did they lay flat or did they bow one way or the other?

They bowed slightly outward (upward).

--
Wayne Boatwright
He who eats alone chokes alone. Proverb

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...y?storeId=1005
1&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100020939&N=10000003+9 0401

I bought 2 boxes of 25 panels at $43 each. After a mere *3 days*
the sun had caused them to warp, bow up, and come loose in places. Some
of them went from being straight to looking like damn wavy patato chip.
And this was only after *3 days*.

I hope you'll take the time to post a review on the HD website.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2009-08-02, willshak wrote:

Did you have the brown ones? I wonder if they were white would they have
warped as much or at all?

Yeah, they were the brown ones. But considering how bad they looked
after only 3 days of exposure to days of a moximum of 90*F, I
wouldn't expect the white ones to last much longer unless they were in
total shade.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2009-08-02, Smitty Two wrote:

I hope you'll take the time to post a review on the HD website.

Done, but I said that it will take up to 7 days to appear. :/

My fist attempt to post a review was rejected:
"We're sorry but we encountered the following issue(s):
- We have detected profanity in the Review field. Please correct
your review and submit it again."

lol

The illegal words we "damn" and "crap".

You know, some things do deserve a certain amount of profanity now and
then.

And just who do they think they're catering to anyway?

Are there actually any contruction workers that *don't* cuss liberally?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2009-08-02, tom wrote:

We bought a house a year ago that has these or something very similar
installed. So far I've been quite satisfied with their performance.

http://www.easyflowgutters.com/index.html

One of those pictures illustrates one of my concerns with the way that
solid piece from HD looked when istalled on *my* gutter.
http://www.easyflowgutters.com/distributor/gutters3.jpg

In my case, the gutter gaurd was almost completely level on top, which
makes me wonder if it could cause water to run back under that last row
of shingles and cause the lower part of the roof to rot over time. But
the above picture actually seems to show that the top of gutter gaurd is
tilted *back* towards the house a bit, which looks like trouble.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2009-08-02, Smitty Two wrote:

I hope you'll take the time to post a review on the HD website.

Done, but I said that it will take up to 7 days to appear. :/

My fist attempt to post a review was rejected:
"We're sorry but we encountered the following issue(s):
- We have detected profanity in the Review field. Please correct
your review and submit it again."

lol

The illegal words we "damn" and "crap".

You know, some things do deserve a certain amount of profanity now and
then.

And just who do they think they're catering to anyway?

Are there actually any contruction workers that *don't* cuss liberally?

That's why I often use alternative descriptions, they can
be funnier than the more popular rude colloquialisms.

Cluster Coitus

Male Bovine Droppings

Place your lips on my hindquarters, create a vacuum,
then pull away smartly.

EXCRETA!

INTERCOURSE!

Why don't you go attempt the mechanics of reproduction
on yourself.

Teethe on my buttocks!

Reactions vary, quite often it's a funny look followed by
"Huh?".

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

. ..
On 2009-08-02, tom wrote:

We bought a house a year ago that has these or something very similar
installed. So far I've been quite satisfied with their performance.

http://www.easyflowgutters.com/index.html

One of those pictures illustrates one of my concerns with the way that
solid piece from HD looked when istalled on *my* gutter.
http://www.easyflowgutters.com/distributor/gutters3.jpg

In my case, the gutter gaurd was almost completely level on top, which
makes me wonder if it could cause water to run back under that last row
of shingles and cause the lower part of the roof to rot over time. But
the above picture actually seems to show that the top of gutter gaurd is
tilted *back* towards the house a bit, which looks like trouble.

I see and understand your concern. The system we have was added to the
existing gutters that were mounted low enough on the fascia that there is
plenty of pitch away from the last course of shingles that the back of the
gutter guard is installed under.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 2 Aug 2009 20:50:52 +0000 (UTC), ShadowTek

On 2009-08-02, willshak wrote:

Did you have the brown ones? I wonder if they were white would they have
warped as much or at all?

Yeah, they were the brown ones. But considering how bad they looked
after only 3 days of exposure to days of a moximum of 90*F, I
wouldn't expect the white ones to last much longer unless they were in
total shade.

I have the brown ones, still holding up after 15 years (e.TN). I
still clean/inspect the gutters once a year.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2009-08-03, Phisherman wrote:

I have the brown ones, still holding up after 15 years (e.TN). I
still clean/inspect the gutters once a year.

I don't even see how that's possible, unless the batch I got was
different type of plastic.

Are they installed under or over the shingles?

Are your gutters exposed to direct sunlight, or are you in the shade of
evergreens or something?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 3 Aug 2009 04:42:13 +0000 (UTC), ShadowTek

On 2009-08-03, Phisherman wrote:

I have the brown ones, still holding up after 15 years (e.TN). I
still clean/inspect the gutters once a year.

I don't even see how that's possible, unless the batch I got was
different type of plastic.

Are they installed under or over the shingles?

About an inch slips under the shingle. The front edge clips to the
gutter.

Are your gutters exposed to direct sunlight, or are you in the shade of
evergreens or something?

Full sun, can be 100 degrees. Yes they have faded. May you got a
bad batch or they don't make them like they did 15 years ago.
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.elkoproducts.com/products...geniusdiy.html

By the way, they go between, not under the shingles. So they are
under one shingle but over another, causing any upsurge of water to go
into the gutter rather than your house.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 2 Aug 2009 04:15:06 +0000 (UTC), ShadowTek
wrote:

[...]

I know I'm late to the party, but, I wanted to throw in my 2¢ worth.

I have worked with every kind of gutter portection product out there
over the years.

I don't care who you are, or what you say... gutter covers, gutter
helmets, whatever you call them, if they enclose the opening of the
rain gutter, they significantly reduce the rain gutter's efficiency.
That is to say, they reduce the amount of rain that is collected from
the rain water coming down your roof. In a heavy downpour, when you
need gutter efficiency the most, the rain goes shooting off the roof
and into the landscaping below.

Additionally, the gotter covers DO require periodic maintenance. The
groove that the rain is supposed to go into DOES get clogged with
debris, eventually, in most cases.

The foam stuff eventually gets clogged with grit and dirt, and because
the top is flat, leaves and debris tend to stick and just lay there,
blocking water from getting in, until the stuff rots. But, then, the
particles settle into the foam and make it even more ineffective.

The stretched aluminum mesh with the arch in it is a joke. Debris
builds up behind it. The wind blows it over and it hangs from the
gutters, looking like hell. It's visible from the curb. A waste of
money.

The platic stuff is a joke. The wide, flat mesh blocks 50 or more of
the gutter opening. The plastic melts and sags down, making the
perfect ditch for leave and debris to settle in, again, blocking
access to the gutter and making a mess.

There is NO perfect product. So, you have to decide what it is you are
actually trying accomplish. Do you want to stop cleaning your gutters?
Then take them off. Nothing will make your rain gutters completely
maintenance free.

Do you want to prevent the gutters from getting clogged and backing
up? Then there is no better, cheaper or more effective product than
Steelco gutter screens. (http://steelco.net)

They are rigid, galvanized, flat mesh. They come is 3' sections. When
properly installed, they will make you rain gutters about as
maintenance free as they can get. Very simple to install... back edge
under the shingle, front edge has a galvalum tab... so, you can slip
the front gutter slip between the screen and the tab to hold in place,
AND, you can bend the tab over the edge of the gutter to hold it in
place. Brown tabs for brown gutters, white tabs for white gutters.

The wire mesh doesn't restrict the flow of rain water going into the
gutter. So, the gutter maintains its efficiency. The larger stuff,
leaves, tennis balls, twigs, etc, are kept out. The screens, when
properly installed, should have a slight pitch from the roof the edge
of the gutter, so they are essentially self-cleaning, as far as
anything settling on top.

Pine needles are the only real issue. But, it's not as big an issue as
one might think. In my experience, a few pine needles will stand up in
the mesh, until a good gully washer comes through. Most of the needles
will blow off with the rest of the leaves. The needles that stand up
eventually get washed to the downspout, and because they are few, they
don't block the down spout.

At something like 1.25 per foot, I think it is the best product on the
market. Problem is, it also seems to be a well kept secret. They are
not easy to find. But, you can order them direct if there is no dealer
in your area. They come in boxes of 50 sections (150 ft). I think the
5" variety is only $165 per box.

The product is simple, inexpensive, and effective. Your mileage may
vary. But, I don't think you'll be disappointed. You biggest
disappointment will be tearing down that $8 per foot stuff you bought
trhee years ago.

VG

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2009-08-14, Jungle Man wrote:

The foam stuff eventually gets clogged with grit and dirt, and because
the top is flat, leaves and debris tend to stick and just lay there,
blocking water from getting in, until the stuff rots.

I don't know what "foam stuff" you're referring to.

The stretched aluminum mesh with the arch in it is a joke. Debris
builds up behind it. The wind blows it over and it hangs from the
gutters, looking like hell. It's visible from the curb. A waste of
money.

I decided to give that stuff a try. I installed it on one section of
gutter to see how it does over the winter. But unlike the picture shown
on the product, I installed it *under* the shingles, so it isn't very
noticable, and there isn't any humped up part for debris to pile
up behind.

Do you want to prevent the gutters from getting clogged and backing
up? Then there is no better, cheaper or more effective product than
Steelco gutter screens.

Your description basically makes it sound like Home Depot stuff, only
installed differently and having colored tabs.

(http://steelco.net)

Wow, that website doesn't really provide me with any confidence that I'm
dealing with professionals.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,

On 2009-08-14, Jungle Man wrote:

[...]

Sheesh. What website? I think Jungle Man is a shill.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 23:15:14 +0000 (UTC), ShadowTek
wrote:

Your description basically makes it sound like Home Depot stuff, only
installed differently and having colored tabs.

Well, that description describes it as something significantly *other*
than HD stuff. They are far superior to the crap HD sells.

(http://steelco.net)

Wow, that website doesn't really provide me with any confidence that I'm
dealing with professionals.

I didn't say they had a great website. They are not in the website
business.They are not installers. They are in the gutter screen
manufacturing business. The screens are made of quality materials,
they are inexpensive, easy to install, and they guarantee the product
for the life of your gutters. But, they have a crappy website.

JM

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2009-08-14, Jungle Man wrote:

The foam stuff eventually gets clogged with grit and dirt, and because
the top is flat, leaves and debris tend to stick and just lay there,
blocking water from getting in, until the stuff rots.

I don't know what "foam stuff" you're referring to.

http://tinyurl.com/n3u2kl
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 16:58:31 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,

On 2009-08-14, Jungle Man wrote:

[...]

I use to install the gutter screens as a side business for a couple of
years. I live at the beach on the remote Outer Banks of NC. Not many
trees here, so my phone wasn't exactly ringin' off the hook. All the
clients I've spoken with over the years seem to be pleased with them.

I guess anyone you don't know who has something good to say about a
product is a shill. Try the screens... then call me a shill.

JM

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Sheesh. What website? I think Jungle Man is a shill.

I use to install the gutter screens as a side business for a couple of
years. I live at the beach on the remote Outer Banks of NC. Not many
trees here, so my phone wasn't exactly ringin' off the hook. All the
clients I've spoken with over the years seem to be pleased with them.

I guess anyone you don't know who has something good to say about a
product is a shill. Try the screens... then call me a shill.

JM

I was going right along with you there, full credibility, until you
linked me to that non-website. That ridiculous joke doesn't even qualify
as a "website under development" placeholder. The name, an overseas
phone number, and an email link. Not even a picture of the product. Way,
way beyond pathetic.
Posted to alt.home.repair
KLS KLS is offline

wrote:

Your description basically makes it sound like Home Depot stuff, only
installed differently and having colored tabs.

Well, that description describes it as something significantly *other*
than HD stuff. They are far superior to the crap HD sells.

(http://steelco.net)

Wow, that website doesn't really provide me with any confidence that I'm
dealing with professionals.

I didn't say they had a great website. They are not in the website
business.They are not installers. They are in the gutter screen
manufacturing business. The screens are made of quality materials,
they are inexpensive, easy to install, and they guarantee the product
for the life of your gutters. But, they have a crappy website.

The link you provided may also not actually BE their website. This
link is far more informative:

http://www.gutterscreen.net/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2009-08-15, Jungle Man wrote:
On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 23:15:14 +0000 (UTC), ShadowTek

I don't know what "foam stuff" you're referring to.

http://tinyurl.com/n3u2kl

I haven't seen that one before.

Foam doesn't last very long when exposed to UV radiation, and my
birds would probably tear that stuff to shreads and make nests out of
it. lol
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Your description basically makes it sound like Home Depot stuff, only
installed differently and having colored tabs.

Well, that description describes it as something significantly *other*
than HD stuff. They are far superior to the crap HD sells.

It's hard to visualize much difference without any sort of picture.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2009-08-15, KLS wrote:

The link you provided may also not actually BE their website. This
link is far more informative:

http://www.gutterscreen.net/

If that's the same thing JungleMan was talkin about, I think I like the
HD version better. The latter have a finer mesh, and the look exactly
the same when flattened and installed under the shingles, which is what
I did with mine.

But I do like that they also have them in copper.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 02:01:38 +0000 (UTC), ShadowTek

On 2009-08-15, KLS wrote:

The link you provided may also not actually BE their website. This
link is far more informative:

http://www.gutterscreen.net/

If that's the same thing JungleMan was talkin about, I think I like the
HD version better. The latter have a finer mesh, and the look exactly
the same when flattened and installed under the shingles, which is what
I did with mine.

But I do like that they also have them in copper.

No, they are not even close to being the same. The stretched aluminum
i think does have slightly finer mesh openings, but are far less rigid
and less efficient. They do the job, just not as well, and with more
potential problems. I used to carry a piece of the HD aluminum crap
with me to show people the inferior construction compared to the
steelco screens.

If you flatten the arch out on the aluminum HD screens to put it
under the shingles, they will bend and sag under the weigh of snow and
ice. If you don't get snow where you are, it may not be an issue.

I'm certainly not here to argue about the pros and cons of gutter
protection products. I actually come here to get some advice about my
septic field problems, saw the subject line and thought I would chime
in to make readers aware of what I think is the best product out there
to prevent downspouts from getting clogged, based on my experience.

I don't know what link the other writer was talking about, but the
company's crappy website is gutterscreen.net. If you do website
development, you might give them a cal... lol

JM

dog leg gutter stuart noble UK diy 2 June 2nd 08 04:40 PM
Tool gaurds JP Woodworking 1 October 24th 06 05:11 PM
Nest in gutter Jim Home Repair 1 June 7th 06 09:52 PM
Gutter installation help, please. [email protected] Home Repair 2 July 20th 05 11:55 AM
gutter cap [email protected] Home Ownership 0 June 30th 05 04:33 AM