Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dremel replacement

I have had this Harbor Freight version of a Dremel tool for the past 8 years
and for the $10 I paid for it I think that I got pretty good use for my
money. Well, the chuck lock hole has 'stretched' making it hard to remove
tools from the collet because the pin can't get enough of a bite. I got to
a HF over the weekend and they no longer carry the variable speed control.
The choices are constant speed (12v) or four pre-sets (120v). I've looked
into Dremel but have noted a surprising number of posts on forums which say
that Dremel has lost it's quality and not in line with the price tag. Do
any of you know of an off-brand with fully variable speeds? If I find a
used Dremel how would I know/ suspect some issues - the smell of burned
electronics - the ability to stall the motor with hand power or using a
cutting tool that I commonly use and try it out? Anything else?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"C & E" wrote in message
I have had this Harbor Freight version of a Dremel tool for the past 8
years and for the $10 I paid for it I think that I got pretty good use for
my money. Well, the chuck lock hole has 'stretched' making it hard to
remove tools from the collet because the pin can't get enough of a bite. I
got to a HF over the weekend and they no longer carry the variable speed
control. The choices are constant speed (12v) or four pre-sets (120v).
I've looked into Dremel but have noted a surprising number of posts on
forums which say that Dremel has lost it's quality and not in line with the
price tag. Do any of you know of an off-brand with fully variable speeds?
If I find a used Dremel how would I know/ suspect some issues - the smell
of burned electronics - the ability to stall the motor with hand power or
using a cutting tool that I commonly use and try it out? Anything else?

I bought a Dremel Advantage several years ago and was very disappointed in
its performance with the few times that I actually used it. I bought a
reconditioned RotoZip at Amazon last fall and was impressed from day one. I
got one with the adjustable chuck. Much easier and quicker to switch bits
in the middle of a job than using the collets.

Try Ebay for the Dremel or look for reconditioned RotoZips.

Posted to alt.home.repair

John Grabowski wrote:

"C & E" wrote in message
[...]

I agree with what has been said about
Dremel, the quality has gone way down.
I have had a Dremel tool since the early
70s. The best tool was one with ball
bearings and a rotary speed control.
When that tool finally broke, I called
Dremel and they, for a small fee, sent
me a brand spankin new style (probably
reconditioned) tool. At full speed it
vibrated big time ... so much so, that
the slide speed control would walk to a
different speed. Plus, the torque was
very low compared the to old unit. I
complained so much, that my son bought
me a birthday present of a Ryobi unit.
It had a very good feel and balance. The
torque was better than the older Dremel.
The top speed was not as good, though.
So, for torque, I use the Ryobi. Where
high speed is needed, I go to the Dremel
even though it has the balance problem.
Recently I bought a the new cordless
Dremel with the lithium ion battery ....
pretty impressive. Of course, because it
is battery operated, the torque is not
that great, but works great for most
things.
The one problem is the chuck. It stuck
one time so bad, that I had to send it to
Dremel. It's happened twice since,
however, I was finally able to free it.
As for
the Roto-Zip I have one also (I'm a tool
junkie!). While it's a pretty good tool,
for the things I use the Dremel, it's
far too large. It depends on use.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Black and Decker RTX. Great quality ises all dremel stuff.
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-R.../dp/B0001GUDRI

On Jul 28, 9:44*pm, Art Todesco wrote:
John Grabowski wrote:

"C & E" wrote in message
[...]

far too large. *It depends on use.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

"John Grabowski" wrote in message

I bought a Dremel Advantage several years ago and was very disappointed in
its performance with the few times that I actually used it. I bought a
reconditioned RotoZip at Amazon last fall and was impressed from day one.
I got one with the adjustable chuck. Much easier and quicker to switch
bits in the middle of a job than using the collets.

Try Ebay for the Dremel or look for reconditioned RotoZips.

I agree with John that the RotoZip is a superior tool as a router or spiral
saw. IMO, it is not a replacement for a dremel style tool.

The two are designed for very different work. I own and use both tools.
Just like I own a spade, a flat nose and round point shovel. Match your
tool to the job you need to do.

On mine the 5 speeds are fairly spread out. I have not tried the HF model.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

Big Jim wrote:
Black and Decker RTX. Great quality ises all dremel stuff.
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-R.../dp/B0001GUDRI

Now you went and did it. Now I need to
get one to add to my collection of
Dremels and Ryobi. It is only 3 speeds,
but that would probably be more than
sufficient.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Art Todesco wrote in :

Big Jim wrote:
Black and Decker RTX. Great quality ises all dremel stuff.
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-R...ries/dp/B0001G
UDRI

Now you went and did it. Now I need to
get one to add to my collection of
Dremels and Ryobi. It is only 3 speeds,
but that would probably be more than
sufficient.

I guess I'll hang onto my old Dremel 270 single speed unit. 8-)
I use a lamp dimmer as a speed controller.

Sad to hear Dremel's quality has tanked.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

"C & E" wrote in message
[...]

I'm surprised the HF is not available. I have one and so far (after a few
years) seems to be somewhat better than my 30-year-old Dremel ever was. My
Dremel had a lot of use but overall I was not real thrilled with the
quality.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 28, 8:08*pm, "C & E" wrote:
[...]

I'm pretty satisfied with the Dremel kit that I walked out of Lowes
with for $15.

Dremel® 400-3/55 400 Series 55 Piece XPR Rotary Tool Kit

http://www.toolsforless.com/product/30586

$90 on sale for $75, a $50 gift card and a $10 Lowes merchandise card.
It even came with a free engraving tool. Quite a deal.

My only issue is how hot it gets at high speed. I have to hold it just
so or I think I would literally burn my hand. Other than that, it has
worked for many, many projects over the last year and a half.

New Dremel Terry Cano Home Repair 10 January 20th 09 12:54 PM
DIY Dremel Harry Bloomfield UK diy 0 February 27th 06 06:42 PM
DIY Dremel Dave Baker UK diy 1 February 27th 06 06:08 PM
DIY Dremel The3rd Earl Of Derby UK diy 0 February 27th 06 05:24 PM
Dremel SteveB Metalworking 24 December 7th 04 01:11 AM