Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dremel replacement

"C & E" wrote in message
I have had this Harbor Freight version of a Dremel tool for the past 8
years and for the $10 I paid for it I think that I got pretty good use for
my money. Well, the chuck lock hole has 'stretched' making it hard to
remove tools from the collet because the pin can't get enough of a bite. I
got to a HF over the weekend and they no longer carry the variable speed
control. The choices are constant speed (12v) or four pre-sets (120v).
I've looked into Dremel but have noted a surprising number of posts on
forums which say that Dremel has lost it's quality and not in line with the
price tag. Do any of you know of an off-brand with fully variable speeds?
If I find a used Dremel how would I know/ suspect some issues - the smell
of burned electronics - the ability to stall the motor with hand power or
using a cutting tool that I commonly use and try it out? Anything else?

I bought a Dremel Advantage several years ago and was very disappointed in
its performance with the few times that I actually used it. I bought a
reconditioned RotoZip at Amazon last fall and was impressed from day one. I
got one with the adjustable chuck. Much easier and quicker to switch bits
in the middle of a job than using the collets.

Try Ebay for the Dremel or look for reconditioned RotoZips.