Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Dremel replacement

On Jul 28, 8:08*pm, "C & E" wrote:
I have had this Harbor Freight version of a Dremel tool for the past 8 years
and for the $10 I paid for it I think that I got pretty good use for my
money. *Well, the chuck lock hole has 'stretched' making it hard to remove
tools from the collet because the pin can't get enough of a bite. *I got to
a HF over the weekend and they no longer carry the variable speed control..
The choices are constant speed (12v) or four pre-sets (120v). * I've looked
into Dremel but have noted a surprising number of posts on forums which say
that Dremel has lost it's quality and not in line with the price tag. *Do
any of you know of an off-brand with fully variable speeds? *If I find a
used Dremel how would I know/ suspect some issues - the smell of burned
electronics - the ability to stall the motor with hand power or using a
cutting tool that I commonly use and try it out? *Anything else?

I'm pretty satisfied with the Dremel kit that I walked out of Lowes
with for $15.

Dremel® 400-3/55 400 Series 55 Piece XPR Rotary Tool Kit

http://www.toolsforless.com/product/30586

$90 on sale for $75, a $50 gift card and a $10 Lowes merchandise card.
It even came with a free engraving tool. Quite a deal.

My only issue is how hot it gets at high speed. I have to hold it just
so or I think I would literally burn my hand. Other than that, it has
worked for many, many projects over the last year and a half.