Posted to alt.home.repair
Big Jim Big Jim is offline

Default Dremel replacement

Black and Decker RTX. Great quality ises all dremel stuff.
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-R.../dp/B0001GUDRI

On Jul 28, 9:44*pm, Art Todesco wrote:
John Grabowski wrote:

"C & E" wrote in message
I have had this Harbor Freight version of a Dremel tool for the past 8
years and for the $10 I paid for it I think that I got pretty good use
for my money. *Well, the chuck lock hole has 'stretched' making it
hard to remove tools from the collet because the pin can't get enough
of a bite. *I got to a HF over the weekend and they no longer carry
the variable speed control. The choices are constant speed (12v) or
four pre-sets (120v). I've looked into Dremel but have noted a
surprising number of posts on forums which say that Dremel has lost
it's quality and not in line with the price tag. *Do any of you know
of an off-brand with fully variable speeds? If I find a used Dremel
how would I know/ suspect some issues - the smell of burned
electronics - the ability to stall the motor with hand power or using
a cutting tool that I commonly use and try it out? *Anything else?

I bought a Dremel Advantage several years ago and was very disappointed
in its performance with the few times that I actually used it. *I bought
a reconditioned RotoZip at Amazon last fall and was impressed from day
one. *I got one with the adjustable chuck. *Much easier and quicker to
switch bits in the middle of a job than using the collets.

Try Ebay for the Dremel or look for reconditioned RotoZips.

I agree with what has been said about
Dremel, the quality has gone way down.
I have had a Dremel tool since the early
70s. *The best tool was one with ball
bearings and a rotary speed control.
When that tool finally broke, I called
Dremel and they, for a small fee, sent
me a brand spankin new style (probably
reconditioned) *tool. *At full speed it
vibrated big time ... so much so, that
the slide speed control would walk to a
different speed. *Plus, the torque was
very low compared the to old unit. *I
complained so much, that my son bought
me a birthday present of a Ryobi unit.
It had a very good feel and balance. The
torque was better than the older Dremel.
* The top speed was not as good, though.
So, for torque, I use the Ryobi. *Where
high speed is needed, I go to the Dremel
even though it has the balance problem.
* Recently I bought a the new cordless
Dremel with the lithium ion battery ....
pretty impressive. *Of course, because it
is battery operated, the torque is not
that great, but works great for most
things.
The one problem is the chuck. *It stuck
one time so bad, that I had to send it to
Dremel. *It's happened twice since,
however, I was finally able to free it.
* As for
the Roto-Zip I have one also (I'm a tool
junkie!). *While it's a pretty good tool,
for the things I use the Dremel, it's
far too large. *It depends on use.- Hide quoted text -