Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Todesco Art Todesco is offline

Default Dremel replacement

John Grabowski wrote:

"C & E" wrote in message
I have had this Harbor Freight version of a Dremel tool for the past 8
years and for the $10 I paid for it I think that I got pretty good use
for my money. Well, the chuck lock hole has 'stretched' making it
hard to remove tools from the collet because the pin can't get enough
of a bite. I got to a HF over the weekend and they no longer carry
the variable speed control. The choices are constant speed (12v) or
four pre-sets (120v). I've looked into Dremel but have noted a
surprising number of posts on forums which say that Dremel has lost
it's quality and not in line with the price tag. Do any of you know
of an off-brand with fully variable speeds? If I find a used Dremel
how would I know/ suspect some issues - the smell of burned
electronics - the ability to stall the motor with hand power or using
a cutting tool that I commonly use and try it out? Anything else?

I bought a Dremel Advantage several years ago and was very disappointed
in its performance with the few times that I actually used it. I bought
a reconditioned RotoZip at Amazon last fall and was impressed from day
one. I got one with the adjustable chuck. Much easier and quicker to
switch bits in the middle of a job than using the collets.

Try Ebay for the Dremel or look for reconditioned RotoZips.

I agree with what has been said about
Dremel, the quality has gone way down.
I have had a Dremel tool since the early
70s. The best tool was one with ball
bearings and a rotary speed control.
When that tool finally broke, I called
Dremel and they, for a small fee, sent
me a brand spankin new style (probably
reconditioned) tool. At full speed it
vibrated big time ... so much so, that
the slide speed control would walk to a
different speed. Plus, the torque was
very low compared the to old unit. I
complained so much, that my son bought
me a birthday present of a Ryobi unit.
It had a very good feel and balance. The
torque was better than the older Dremel.
The top speed was not as good, though.
So, for torque, I use the Ryobi. Where
high speed is needed, I go to the Dremel
even though it has the balance problem.
Recently I bought a the new cordless
Dremel with the lithium ion battery ....
pretty impressive. Of course, because it
is battery operated, the torque is not
that great, but works great for most
things.
The one problem is the chuck. It stuck
one time so bad, that I had to send it to
Dremel. It's happened twice since,
however, I was finally able to free it.
As for
the Roto-Zip I have one also (I'm a tool
junkie!). While it's a pretty good tool,
for the things I use the Dremel, it's
far too large. It depends on use.